Replace both engine/transmission mounts?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by scoutdude, Apr 27, 2020.

1. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

Howdy! My manual 4 speed transmission mount is no good. The rubber is all torn up. My throw out bearing doesn't fully disengage without me lifting the clutch pedal with my foot(new spring installed for clutch pedal). I figured replacing the transmission mount will fix the issue of the clutch pedal not coming back up all the way. But if I look at my motor mounts, they look fine(no crack squished look). When I replaced my body mounts with polyurethane, my engine fan caught on the fan shroud(fan shroud adjustment fixed that). In my case, is it wise to replace the engine mounts the same time as the transmission mounts? I am thinking of getting the RPT z bracket deal for the transmission and maybe the poly RPT motor mounts. Thoughts?

2. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Pics would help us see what you mean, regarding the mounts. Links to pages describing those parts you mention would also help. (Don't make us google them. LOL)

Replacing the transmission mount, the little rubber block, is a pretty easy operation at least.

3. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

I did the RPT engine and trans (t190 doesn't use the z bar) mount and its great!,
    Maybe put a block under the oil pan and jack up to see how much flex is in your old stock mounts. Most of them break down due to being covered in oil for 30 years.

4. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

Transmission mount [​IMG]

Motor mount:

[​IMG]

I will take pictures of my mounts this afternoon. I am not sure if I have a t19 or t18. It's a 1974 304 4speed(reverse in what would normally be 5th gear) 4x4.

5. Patrick Morris

Would they be the RPT mounts shown in this old thread?
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/rpt-trans-and-motor-mounts.102681/#post-712987

I'll also help to know what kind/year of Scout and what kind of 4-speed transmission you have scoutdude. FWIW, I have a '78 with a T-19 4-spd and my transmission mount is not at all like that on in the link above. It's black urethane, a copy of the OEM mount, and looks like this; sandwiches directly between the transmission and the cross-member:

[​IMG]

6. Patrick Morris

Thanks for the pics. Yeah pretty much what was in that old thread. I'm thinking you might have a T-18? Because:
    T-18 Reverse is to the right and forward
    T19 Reverse is to the right and back.

So my trans mount is the same as the one you posted (only in black), just didn't come with that steel Z piece. And it wasn't needed. When you get under yours again you'll know right away if you need to use that bracket.

7. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

Let me know if you you need more pictures. Running out to see if I have that z shaped support.

Attached Files:

8. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

My transmission does have that z shaped bracket.

9. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

I guess I would be able to get away with purchasing the poly mounts without the bracket, since my scout already has one. Any more thoughts after seeing the pictures?

10. Patrick Morris

Thanks for posting those pics. I don't know, would you be saving much money by skipping the bracket? The motor mounts are the factory type. I'll bet it's time for some new ones.

There's no reason you couldn't tackle the mounts end at a time. Meaning you could replace just the trans mount and see what kind of improvement you get. Then do the motor mounts a little later? It's up to you. I know the motor mounts are not cheap. Of course you'll save on shipping charges if you buy them all at one time.

11. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

Yeah those mounts aren't cheap. The only thing that leads me to believe I need to replace the motor mounts, is the fact that the fan shroud was toughing the fan after new body mounts. I dont know, just the looks of the transmission mounts leads me to think they need changing. I don't see why I would need a new z bracket deal.

12. Patrick Morris

Well, installing new motor mounts will probably raise up the engine slightly, so I imagine that will help. You raised the body, effectively "lowering" the engine. New mounts should correct that to some extent. Plus, hard to tell for sure but it looks like the metal portion of your stock mounts are resting on the frame's brackets. That's not ideal. If you have the money, I say do it.

As far as the Z bracket thing, I can't say. The only reason I can think of to replace the stock one would be if the original is either rusted super bad or bent.

13. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

If they are all the same age, why wouldn't you?

JJ in TN

14. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

I ordered the mounts. I bought the poly ones so I won’t have to do it again for a while. With the transmission mounts, do I sandwich the cross member(poly, cross member, poly, z bracket)? Or do I stack both poly mounts on top of the cross member with the z bracket resting on top?

15. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Let us know how they work out. I went with polyurethane motor and transmission mounts in my Jeep Cherokee. After a week of teeth chattering vibration - I took them out and put in oem rubber equivalent. At least on that Jeep the rubber does a much much better job of dampening vibrations.

16. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

Jeep?:ban: Lol I’ll keep y’all posted on how they turn out. If someone has info on how to mount the transmission mounts, please let me know.

17. Patrick Morris

You sandwich them. One goes on top, the other, under, with the metal sleeves passing through. Should be obvious once you get started on the project. You will see two large holes in the crossmember. The raised areas of the mounts around the holes fit in those crossmember holes.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  18. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Sorry. I know I shouldn’t mention such a vehicle here.
    It’s the only vehicle with which I have experience switching to polyurethane from rubber...

19. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

This is my transmission mount. How are these new poly mounts supposed to go on this thing? Did I get the wrong type of bushings?

Attached Files:

20. scoutdude

scoutdude Farmall Cub

I am looking at the mounts on the store website and it looks like Z bracket they sell has holes for the bolts. I didn’t buy it with the bracket because my bracket looked fine :sweatdrop: