Reccomendations on title VIN error

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Albuq. Henry, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

The last owner, the guy I got it from, purchased it in 83. Not for sure if it was always a NM truck. the only paperwork I have is the title signed over to me and a bill of sale showing me as the purchaser from the title holder... this is the title that shows the eng number as the vin. Yeah maybe there is no error just the way it got done back then....

2. carnuck

carnuck Farmall Cub

I would have an insurance company (not yours) or title office run the number you found to see if it's on the hotsheets. Otherwise "your" vehicle may be towed away with no recourse for you and possibly stolen vehicle charges to go with it.

3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

If it were somehow listed as stolen, Henry would not be subject to charges because he has the valid papers mentioned above to prove his end of the transaction was legitimate. He might loose the vehicle, but would have recourse against the seller for the loss, and the seller, in turn might theoretically still be able to to go after the previous owner, if he could be found.

A copy of the LST would show the state the vehicle was originally sent to, and I'd assume, first registered in. It also lists the engine number, together with the other needed data like Vehicle Serial Number.

4. carnuck

carnuck Farmall Cub

After the 3 year hassle I went through with WSP over a vehicle I legally purchased with paperwork to back it, I can advise NOT to take a chance.

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Did they file charges against you, or even threaten to? Without reasonable evidence you were involved in some illegal action, such an arrest would be grounds for an unlawful arrest lawsuit against the state. Reasonable is based on what an ordinary person would believe, based on facts. Suppositions or possibilities don't count.

That said, I never said doing his homework first is a bad idea...in fact, I still think he should research the Vehicle Code about vehicle ID numbers and the past practices regarding them.

6. carnuck

carnuck Farmall Cub

They tried to get me for possession of stolen property. Overzealous Barney Fife had it in for me because I'm not a citizen (LEGAL immigrant). Ended badly for all involved. I will still stand up for and back non-corrupt law enforcement officers. (my uncle, MHRIP, was a detective in Vancouver and several cousins were RCMP)

7. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Order the Line Setting Ticket from the Wisconsin Historical Society right away. Both the engine and chassis serial number are listed, as is date of manufacture and a ton of other interesting info tidbits. There's your proof if needed and you will have a paper trail to a vetted and vaunted bastion of history, the McCormick Archives at the WHS!

8. TBAKPhi22

TBAKPhi22 Binder Driver

I kindof had the same issue as well lately. Wasn't buying a truck, but the insurance co. wanted to verify the "vin" on my grandpas '55 chevy truck (he's gone, so its mine now). It didn't match the one in the door jamb at all, so I was wondering what the heck number it was. I couldn't believe anything weird was going on, its been in the family since 1958. Turned out it was the serial number on the engine. I just verified it and left it alone. Thank god I didn't let my dad put a V8 in years ago, then it would be a real mess...
    Should be fine the way it is, I would just leave it alone for now until you might swap the engine.

9. Scavenger Scout

Scavenger Scout Binder Driver

^This is genius.

The other thing would be to figure out what state initially registered the truck and then get proof that it would've been registered under the engine number. Something like a xerox of the old state code. I've run into similar issues with out of state vehicles and getting the DMV lady into a helpful state of mind involved educating her on policies that changed before she was born.

good luck!