Reccomendations on title VIN error

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Albuq. Henry, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

On my new Scout 80 1963 I Just noticed the Vin on my title does not match the Tag on the truck. After some searching I found The number on the title listed as the Vin, is the engine serial number... My guess is at one time during a title transfer or something similar the engine number got put into the spot for VIN.

Any suggestions on best easiest way to correct?? Thanks.

2. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

CRAYON?

I live in an east coast wanna be SSR, not exactly a bastion of personal liberty... but am thankful at least that they refuse to title any vehicle more than 15 years old. :rolleyes:

3. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

The answer will need to be New Mexico specific.

4. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

A buddy of mine ran into this problem a couple of years ago on a 48 3100 GM pick up.

At the time some years ago Illinois used to title by the engine serial number vs. chassis number.

You will need to contact your local DMV to find the way they will require you to get a clean title.

When you get your title BE SURE and double check it right then!

5. Smog_guy

Smog_guy Binder Driver

I'm an old truck guy and a VIN based on engine serial number is just the way it was done way back.
    At my DMV (CA) they know about this situation. Here, as long as you can show a number on the vehicle matches the paperwork, it's OK.
    Yes, we all know an engine can be replaced...
    I do smog check for a living and look at thousands of VINs every year.
    People get real hung up on VINs. The seventeen digit alpha-numerical VIN is a fairly recent invention!
    I've seen FOUR DIGIT VINs that were legit!
    As long as everyone understands on transfer of ownership that the VIN corresponds to the engine and not a number on a shiny plate, everything is fine.

Keep in mind not all vehicles HAD frame serial numbers. GMC of the 30's comes to mind.
    My '39 Ford truck had the bellhousing serial number TRANSFERRED to the left front top of the frame on the assembly line, when engine met frame.

Every old manufacturer did it a bit differently. Viva old trucks!

6. LJ851

LJ851 Farmall Cub

Great info !

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Before you give State officials any details about your specific vehicle, I would suggest looking through all your paperwork, from the bill of sale or whatever, through past copies of registrations you've paid, so you know exactly what documentation you have. Then, see if you can find a copy of your State's Vehicle Code online and do some searching for regulations related to this question; take notes if you find good information. This may be a common 'problem' they already know about, but if it's something the agents you first deal with don't know about and you can explain the situation well, and particularly if you can cite code numbers, it can make it much easier for both of you.

BTW, it is worth checking your insurance papers too, to be sure that vehicle ID number matches the one on your registration. Years ago, I found mine was missing a digit or had some similar small error.

8. Albuq. Henry

I just got the vehicle this weekend, I have not transfered the title to my name, I wasnt quite sure if I should notify the agent at the time of transfer and maybe open a can of worms, or get the title in my name first then go back and change the vin on the title at a later date. Being the engine is a 152 I can see myself in the future wanting to swap the engine...

9. Dana Strong

Does your state have something like our Bureau of Automotive Repairs, which is supposed to help consumers with auto problems such as disputes with repair facilities, or licensing problems? If so, someone there might be able to give information or advice about the situation. The vehicle Code online search may still find valuable information too.

10. Albuq. Henry

I have never heard of the office you describe here. I just e mailed via our mvd website asking questions. It say may be up to 10 day response due to volume... lol

11. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

I can understand your desire to have the Scout legally registered in your name. However, as you said, it may be poking a hornet's next trying to get the tile to match the actual serial number (IH called them that until the 17-digit VIN numbers were mandated in '65). New Mexico, having a primarily rural population base, might have less stringent ownership requirements than some other states. But as has been said, it's best to get the information from the source (DMV). If you do end up trying to get the mismatch straightened out through the DMV, ask for a supervisor when you go to the office. It's a crap shoot with any of the front line clerks as to whether they will understand what you're trying to do and actually be helpful. Some are very good, others, not so much.
    Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Roy

12. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

I can understand your desire to have the Scout legally registered in your name. However, as you said, it may be poking a hornet's nest trying to get the tile to match the actual serial number (IH called them that until the 17-digit VIN numbers were mandated in '65). New Mexico, having a primarily rural population base, might have less stringent ownership requirements than some other states. But as has been said, it's best to get the information from the source (DMV). If you do end up trying to get the mismatch straightened out through the DMV, ask for a supervisor when you go to the office. It's a crap shoot with any of the front line clerks as to whether they will understand what you're trying to do and actually be helpful. Some are very good, others, not so much.
    Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Roy

13. Smog_guy

Smog_guy Binder Driver

I've witnessed some pretty heated online arguments on enthusiast's websites over VIN vs Serial Number.
    As far as CA smog check and CA DMV is concerned, everything presented now is considered a VIN, seventeen digits or not. It's just modern nomenclature for serial number, ID number, whatever.
    You DO NOT have to have a seventeen digit alpha-numeric for it to be considered a VIN on old vehicles (pre-??). Old vehicles sometimes have much shorter letters/number sequences on their paperwork.
    Yes, it's confusing.
    Variety is the spice of life.

14. pedey6

pedey6 Farmall Cub

Have had a similar problem on a 1973 Triumph TR6 Indiana DMV decided to add Zero's
    to fill the vin identification numbers because CF180U was to small of a vin number.

15. pscrambler

pscrambler Binder Driver

definitely going to be New mexico specific. I'm pretty jealous of those maine laws though

16. coonpaw

coonpaw Farmall Cub

Although this will probably be a little bit of a hassle, it shouldn't be a problem.... as long as your VIN plate matches the number stamped on the frame rail, and you do some homework.

I had to have the state police motor vehicle theft unit come and verify the VIN plate matched the number on the frame. Once they did that I was able to take that info to the DMV and get a clean title.
    Each state has it's own "issues" but if the existing title matches the engine ID and the VIN matches the frame, they should be able to "connect the dots".
    In my case, I also had the LST that I could use to match the vehicle, differentials, engine, paint, etc. to help insure that the scout that I had was the one described on the LST... fortunately the PO had not modified much.
    I found that the more data that you have, and you have already done the research, the DMV will be more willing to accept and verify your vehicle. Then, get a title!
    Good Luck!

17. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Henry, I went through the same thing here recently. Basically in New Mexico we have to have a level III VIN inspection by the State Police to correct a title. I took the line set ticket showing the engine serial number and the VIN number on the frame which they verified was correct. Once that was done I had to submit for a corrected copy of the title to the office in Santa Fe with the inspection form he gave me. It was a drawn out processes for me because I had to wait three months for an appointment with the state police – ended up taking it to Alamogordo to make it happen. Here is the number and address to the people I had to deal with at the DMV: Error Resolution Agent, Direct Line (505) 827-6898, Fax (505) 827-2792, MVD Central, 1100 South St. Francis Dr. Santa Fe, NM.

Congratulations also – excited for you!! :punk: :beer: :punk:

18. Albuq. Henry

Awesome! Thanks for that number... So I can start with the level III inspection? Or do I need other paperwork first requesting an inspection? Looks like I will be ordering my LST this evening.

Sad part is its winter, when I get home from work its still dark, the Scout is still on the trailer... I am pretty confident that with a couple hours work I will be able to drive the scout....(of course it might be running out of a portable boat gas tank with inline pump bulb:D)

19. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

I would start with the local DMV first. They will setup an appointment for you with the State Police. I went to my local State Police office first but they turned me away as only the DMV can make that appointment. It also my speed up the process if you happen to know a State Police officer!! :)

Yes and our weather for the state is not looking to good for the rest of the week! Good luck and keep us posted with your progress - you know you have to start a build thread! ;)

20. Dana Strong

Henry, before you start trying to get the title "corrected", I'd think it would make sense to find out if what you have is the way it used to be done and then see if it could be "Updated" to the new system rather than "corrected". You may still have to go through the procedure listed above, but if you have a bill of sale, the old registration with previously correct data, the LST showing both the vehicle and the engine serial number, plus pertinent regulations from the Code, you might be able to skip the inspection.

Was the last owner and registration from your State? That may make some difference too.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015