rebuilt engine,new lifters rattling

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by binders4ever, Jan 23, 2018.

1. binders4ever

binders4ever Farmall Cub

i just got this 304 started and the lifters wont quieten down. all new lifters,cam ,bearings,cam bearings,.040 pistons and rings,rebuilt oil pump,40 lbs oil pressure w/mechanical gauge.I have only run it 3 times about 2 minutes each time and lifters will not quit ticking.the heads and block were both cleaned up to seal. Could my pushrods now be too long.I am getting oil to the top ,but i expected more splatter in the valve covers.cam bearings in wrong? any body got ideas.it doesnt take long to pump up lifters does it. no oil ,gas,water leaks anywhere. thanks.Tucson ,AZ

2. binders4ever

binders4ever Farmall Cub

as an after thought ,how long does it take for pre lube assemby to break down. i havent run it long enough yet to open the thermostat

3. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

If you have oil to the top, your lifters have pumped up.
    Did you pre soak the lifters? When you first started it did you get it up to 2000 rpm (or whatever the cam grinder recommended) for break in? Sounds to me like you have a mismatch somewhere, or flattened the cam.
    Could also be cracked lifter towers. Pull the valve covers and fire it up. See if you can pinpoint it to particular lifters. Sounds like you may end up pulling the lifters out though.

4. walkersscout

Also, I recall reading about bad batches of lifters going out a while back. Try some google foo on that topic.

5. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

My personal opinion on this subject is that when the valve stem protrusion is set to "SPEC" there is not enough preload on the lifters, it comes up almost every time an engine has been into!??
    I ground the valves on my 304 and paid no mind what so ever to the valve stem height!, it's as quiet as can be!, NO valve train nose period!

As little run time as you have on this engine the cam is NOWHERE near being broken in!, fire it up, as soon as the oil pressure comes up rev it up to 2000RPM and hold it there with minor blips to about 2500RPm for at LEAST 20 minutes and see if it shuts up?

BinderBookie likes this.
  6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Kinda curious of what lifters you used?

7. binders4ever

binders4ever Farmall Cub

i used standard motor lifters from rock auto.they were shipped from 3 different locations.there were some definitely older ones that were made in USA and rest made in china.they finally pumped up .i believe it was the older ones made in USA.they had definitely been on the shelf for awhile.it took about 10 minutes for the last one to quieten down.ran engine about 20 min. at around 2000 rpm.was running smooth and quiet and then my oil pressure line hit exhaust manifold and made a mess.that gauge was only temporary anyway 40psi. all in all a good day. thanks for all the help guys

8. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

That's good to hear. Use a copper line. I put a Comp/cam in my 71-1210 T all 392 about 20 years ago. They sent anti pump up lifters with it. Never would quiet down. Threw them away and used seal power lifters. Made by Johnson.

9. walkersscout

Good to hear!

10. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

I experienced a problem with a recent 345 refresh , 2 brand new Johnson lifters would not pump up , Took both of
    them apart and discovered on one minute amounts of rust holding the check valve shut , the other had a defect in the
    valve seat ,
    Pic shows tiny bit of rust that kept lifter from
    pumping up
    20151205_210930_002.jpg
    Hopefully your engine is oiling correctly and runs great !! Best of Luck
    The oil pressure circuit that travels to the lifter galley has to go through a cross drilled port in the rear
    camshaft journal, then into two lifter galleys , separate oil circuits feeds the rocker arm shafts .
    There has been instances where the rear cam bearing has been installed too far to the rear and it
    will almost shut the flow off to the lifters
    Here is a great thread created by Michael Mayben that goes into much detail on SV and I4 oil systems http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forum...i-4-sv-engine-non-oiling-rocker-assembly.html

345 oiling.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  11. surfcraft

surfcraft Binder Driver

It sounds like you're good to go now, but in case you still think you're not getting enough lubrication under the valve covers, I'm linking to Bill H's valve-train article in the Knowledge Base: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...linder-head-valvetrain-problems-and-cures.31/ The style of rocker arm you have -- welded or "boat-style" determines which side of the rocker shaft points up.

JW

12. binders4ever

binders4ever Farmall Cub