really bright lights

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Leman, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Leman

Leman Binder Driver

2. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

Are you running this rig only off road? You may piss a few oncoming motorists off running them as an on highway light, not to mention getting a ticket.

3. RobertC

RobertC Binder Driver

Not sure what you mean by a complete re-wire ---

From long ago memory -- 55W halogen bulbs "draw" 7 amps.

So, on high beams your lights are going to "draw" about 28 amps.... with these bulbs

First, this will "tax" the stock headlight switch -- if it is a Delco switch -- I believe it has a built-in circuit breaker. This will cause the headlights to "blink" on and off once the headlight switch "overheats".

Second, if you have the stock 37 amp altenator, your altenator will probably not be able to "keep up"... So, you will need a higher output altenator.

4. Leman

Leman Binder Driver

yes this is a mainly off road rig. and just about never driven on the road at night.

i do ALOT of night trail riding and camping so thats the need for the higher watts.

and when i do drive it on the road at night its never in town and the roads im on are all back county roads. they are gonna be aimed more to the left than normal and i will use aux lighting to make it equal.

this way the few oncoming drivers dont get AS pissed lol:stuart:

5. Leman

Leman Binder Driver

it is not the stock switch and i have an 80 amp alt.

6. Leman

Leman Binder Driver

and by rewire i mean new wiring and installing relays to power the lights with. so i "could" use the stock switch, but im not going to

7. RobertC

RobertC Binder Driver

You are aware of the issues. I was not sure. Good luck.

8. Leman

Leman Binder Driver

thanks for the concern newb. lmao

i may be young. but i know what im talking about most of the time lol

9. NOT76

NOT76 Farmall Cub

I'm running those Hella headlights with the 60/55 bulbs they come with and stock wiring. They work great, well worth the 80 I spent on em. I can't imagine how good they'd work if I put them on relays...I'll have to get around to it. That other bulb is still 55 on low, so they should be fine for the street if you don't use high.

10. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

I recomend the H4 90/130's, people turn off their brights in a REAL hurry when you bright them!!!!!!!!!

11. pri

pri High Wheeler

Don't get too excited about those 55/100W bulbs... I've used them on and off for the last 20 years or so, and they don't give much brighter lights than a quality standard H4 bulb.
    If you need more light, get some quality aux lights, like Hella or Bosch, and load them with quality bulbs. A thing I would do is to add a couple of fog lights too, that way you will light up the road from just in front of the truck to as far as your other lights will go....

BTW, I've passed safety inspections with both 100 and 120W bulbs and never got caught, and I also went through several surprise on the road inspections (these guys are grumpy) with the same bulbs, and never got a ticket. That says a lot about how much more light you get from them....

Paul

12. TheScoutMaster

TheScoutMaster High Wheeler

I hate those lights :gun_bandana: Always get some a hole with them driving towards you at night, a few times I could not tell if they had their brights on, flashed my lights and they turned on the brights - I then proceded to light up their little world with 6 - 2 million cp off road lamps. Funny watching people weave... :eek:

I think it has to do with the fact that MOST bastards don't point there lights down and to the right, they always seem to be lighting up the sky :stupid:

13. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

14. Leman

Leman Binder Driver

ive thought about leaving the headlamps stock. then put acouple 200 watt bulbs in some aux light housings.:tank:

15. JerryD

JerryD High Wheeler

Why not do the rewire first, get the aux lights & see where you stand? The rewire makes a huge difference (well, it did for me) and I added a couple of Hella 500's fogs for "deer spotting" on the sides... If your doing the rewire anyway, you might decide to hold off on the headlamp upgrade. Even with a lot of night trail riding, do you really need to light up 13 miles of trail in front of you? :D Unless the trail starts and finishes in Ensenada, I doubt it. ;)

16. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

17. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Binder Driver

I'll second that. Leave the lights stock and legal. If you want them bit brighter, using a relay will help a lot. A half a dozen high candlepower offroad lights are the way to go.

18. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

I installed the standard Hella Vision Plus (DOT approved) headlights earlier this year. I like the pattern and light quality from them.
    A fellow Scout II owner that I know has used a set of the Hella VP headlights for (IIRC) over ten years, with good results and no issues.

To supplement the headlights on my Scout, I installed an inexpensive pair of 4" round, 55 watt halogen driving lights on the bumper.

19. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

I was NOT suggesting keeping them stock or legal. The Hella Vision Plus are good lights and are fully legal and comparing them to standard halogen sealed beams are like night and day BUT the not legal E-code Hellas are far superior to the Vision Plus DOT approved units. The have a good cut-off in the pattern which prevents glare to oncoming drivers. The main reason that they do not meet DOT specs is the lack of aiming lugs for use with aiming equipment.

My point was that the E-code Hellas are not only superior to the Vision Plus they cost $10 less.

20. Don Henke jr.

Don Henke jr. Farmall Cub

Just running your lights through relays provides the best bang for the buck. Stock headlights are a lot better when they get 12+ volts to them. I am a cheapskate though:)