radio and trim paint

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by jeromekirkland, Jun 18, 2005.

1. jeromekirkland

jeromekirkland Farmall Cub

Now that I have a little time I can ask some more questions.
    1) with a scout that did not come with a radio did they not cut a hole in the fender for the antena or did they put a plug in the hole. I noticed that the plug on the inside of the door to cover the wing window mounting screw was the same size as the hole my scout had for its antena but a po added the radio as my line ticket does not list one.
    2) what coulor is the silver gray of the bumper and windows? I took a vent window out and had a pait shop mix up some paint to match one of the non faded areas but when I started stripping the bumpers I noticed that the paint under the po paint job had silver matalic flake in it and was more silver than the windows gray. should the window and bummper match? what about the turn signal and breaklight bezels?
    These are but some of the questions that are preplexing me.

2. MikeInMobile

MikeInMobile High Wheeler

I dont know about the fender hole question, but the greyish paint on my 72 SII window frames matched the grey stock front bumper pretty closely. Being the second owner, I cant swear that they are both factory paint, but I believe that they are.

3. jeromekirkland

thanks for the quick reply. I think you are the one I talked to a couple months ago about this.
    my front bumper might have been repainted with a profesinal job while it was still relitivly young then repainted poorly latter. are both sides (inside and out) totaly painted on yours? mine had a black primer on the inside only partly covered by finish coat. you could actualy see the paint end on the inside while mounted on the truck if you looked from undernieth.

4. MikeInMobile

MikeInMobile High Wheeler

My stock front bumper is painted inside and out the same grey color. I had planned to have it straightened and re-use it, but the chrome one I found looks better to me.

5. jeromekirkland

thanks, that tells me my bummper was probly repainted at some time and now I will have to repaint it again, I just painted the front and back bumpers and the front grill with an expensive uretane paint a couple months ago, looks good but I want it to be original.

6. benmaples

benmaples High Wheeler

Keep up the good work guys. An American original should be kept that way IMO :cool: .

7. benmaples

benmaples High Wheeler

Looks pretty original to me. No mistaking that paint scheme :D if you ever get stranded in the woods the search party wont have any prob finding Annie ;) so just stay with her. You don't have to go all out just keep her as close as you can. have trouble finding an original style part,just replace it & save or document the old one until you can find O.E.M. Annie is one of the coolest looking Scouts I've seen in a long time.

8. joelweb

joelweb Farmall Cub

the bumper and window frames received different paint treatments. The bumper is a metallic grey. If you spray on aluminum rattle can paint it is almost identicle to the original color once it is washed once. As far as the window paint, I'm pretty sure it is a non metallic grey.

9. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Both my dad and myself both own 72 Scout II's. I am not sure about the front stock bumper because neither of them have the origionals on it. The window trim however on both of them is painted white. I dont think this is faded grey they really look like they came from the factory with the metal trim around the window being white. My old 71 Scout II parts truck had a little darker color white trim but it was white as well. Who knows maybe 30+ years in the hot SC sun made them fade to where they look as white as snow these days. On a side note Jerome make sure you arnt putting the head back on the motor when you paint these parts. I would hate to see them end up looking like the fender did last time I saw the truck in person. :p Semper Fi, John

10. jeromekirkland

gee john thanks for the vote of confidance. But its alright I've been working out latly so that I can lift the head and manifolds together even while standing on one foot and bent over 45%.
    as to the question about the paint code (and the comment about window trim being white) take the window fram out of the door, easy to do by removing catch washers in door and window stop on vent window. than take the window to a good paint store and have them match color to a part of the window that does not normaly see the light of day, this will also answer the question of what color it was origilaly.