quiet around here...

Discussion in 'Mid-South Binders' started by BigRigg, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

cool that is a nice scout you bought I haven't ever seen that one around here. Must have been hid out somewhere i have seen a couple scout II's lately around but no scouts. I just got done with a remodel on the outside of the house so I haven't got to work on the scout since june but as soon as I'm off the long hours at work in about six weeks I will be turning wrenches again. Sounds like your making some progress if your on the body work I am starting mine as soon as I get the transfer and engine back in. you will have to post some pics of your body work if you haven't already.

AD

2. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

ok, guys. What's going on? AD is putting in windows, and workin' like a dawg! What about everyone else. Not much going on here. Just body work (new pics can be seen in project BigRigg). Really excited about the 800! It has gotten me sidetracked, and makes it hard to work on the SII. I really need to get the 1210 dialed in and out of the shop so I can pull the 800 in there and get started on that project. I really just want to get SII axles under it, and drive it, but my wife can't drive a stick and she wants me to put a 727 in it ASAP:whip:. If I'm going that far, this will be a frame off clean up, and I need another one of those like a hole in the head.:dig:

So, what about everyone else? Matt? Josey? Supermerle, Mater? Whatcha up to?

3. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Not much going on, the heat pretty much stopped work on mom's Scout but it's getting to be the time of year again for it, I've been starting my Scout II ever so often and driving it, I did it yesterday but something drains my battery and there's a flat spot on one of my tires, I have been accumulating parts for my fiancees Scout but not started working on it yet

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

A while back I ran out of flappy wheels and wire for the welder. So, project BigRigg had been placed on hold. I'm so sick of body work, I just need to step away! In the meantime, I have done a little work to the blue beast...

The blue beast is what I spent most of my childhood in. It's a 72 1210, I learned how to drive in it, and it was what I was driving until I bought the bigrigg in '98. Dad spent a bunch of time and moolah on the truck back in 1998-2000, and then got burned out, and it sat for the last 15 years. It's a good thing California is so dry. I had this truck shipped here to NWA so I can finish what he started, and hopefully let him drive it now and again!

One big problem with this truck is the custom springs. Dad had springs made especially for his vision of this truck. At the time, he didn't have a tractor, and he was going to use this as a stump puller (really). He needed the suspension to be stout enough to handle the 20 TON (AKA 40K pounds) PTO winch he was going to put on the front:uhh:. I would like to drive this thing on the road, so I have to do some work to the springs.

So, the 1210 has custom 6"+ lift springs. Unfortunately, they are so stiff, that the shackle is pressed against the frame. I thought that I might be able to extend the shackle, and take a few leaves from the springs. No dice. While removing 3 leafs from the pack helped the suspension move, the compressed springs now press the longer shackle back into the frame. the springs are just too long. That's all there is to it. So, I have had to grind out the shackle perch, and move it back the the 2wd hole in the frame. this ended up lifting the truck even more!:helpsmilie::dig:Im trying to LOWER this truck from outer space! To make things worse, In the process of burning out the rivets with my plasma cutter, I slipped and really boogered up the powered coating on the passenger side frame. I;m not sure how im gonna fix that! :stupid:

So, now, I need to take out the longer shackles, and put the stock ones back in. This will buy me 1 inch. When it's all said and done, this truck will have about a 3" suspension lift. I can live with that. I had to order some new ubolts and center pins. While I was waiting for that, I started sanding. Dad was well along into his body work when he left off, but over the years and exposure,surface rust has started to form. I am trying to get rid of all the surface rust, and at least get a coat of epoxy on this thing! I also found a copy of the LST taped to the back side of the glove box! How cool is that?!

I also did a little work to the 800. Not much, but I cleaned out about 20 lbs of dirt from the rear quarters. I also ordered a new fuel pump for it, since the electric pump that is on it died. I also worked a bunch on the rear lift gate. The piano hinge was really seized up. It took a whole can of PB blaster to free things back to where they should be.

Hopefully this week, I will be able to finish up the front springs on the 1210, and also clean the carb, change out the plug wires (rats got 'em), pre oil the engine, and get this thing started for the first time in a really long time! With this nice weather, I'd love to shoot some primer on this thing too. We'll see.

Bigrigg has some panels that need epoxy as well. The fenders, lower valance, hood, tailgate, and cowl cover are all ready for the next stage. Quarters and windshield frame are very close. Doors need a little more love. The top has not even been touched. Man! I am so tired of body work! Patience truly is a virtue!

5. Arkansas Dave

Well i'm trying to get back on track I have been off two days this weekend and one on Thanksgiving it's like I don't have a job anymore after those 60+ 75 hour weeks but I'm on 5/10's now so hopefully i'll be off next weekend unless something comes up. I do have to get my drive to work car back on the road all my parts from Rock Auto showed up last week so I need to get it perkulating again it needs a high pressure power steering hose replaced (currently lubricating the exhaust manifold and filling the heat shield). it also will be getting new sway bar bushings, iridium plugs and new free flow air filter. I also plan to work on the 345 next weekend.

AD

6. Arkansas Dave

Josey, Super Merle, Mater what about you guys????

AD

7. Arkansas Dave

Oh, I forgot Mater I just talked to you the other day and you were about to do some stuff to the Scout i'm getting old I guess can't remember like I used to. Last week.....LOL

AD

8. Arkansas Dave

My Sister in law and her boy friend came over today and while they were here they showed me what they had done to her Jeep Wrangler they had put on a lift, bought wheels, tires, bumpers, stereo and taillights. Then he told me the funniest thing I ever heard because I will probably own one eventually but he said Jeep stood for Just empty every pocket LOL I have never heard that one before. later

AD

9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

well, I hear crickets people! Anyone doing anything? I have been a little busy, and havent had much shop time myself...I did drag a front a rear diff out of a SII and into the shop. I started to modify said diffs to fit in the 800, but not much more. No paint, too cold! Too cold to do much! Arghh!:taz:

10. J. David Oldham

J. David Oldham Farmall Cub

Nothing on wifes Scout or my 66 pick up. Had kids & grandkids Thanksgiving & it's deer season.
    Will be on her Scout soon to get ready for summer road trips.. We want to take more long weekend trips in the TJ Express.
    Need to get pick up running I may have a buyer.

11. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Not much work done on mine. Just took my wheels to the powder coating company to get done. Other than that, trying to save money for extra scout stuff!

12. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I finally got my inner fenders and core support back in my truck. But don't have time to finish it up as Christmas is my busiest time of year!

13. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

WELL, WHAT IS EVERYONE UP TO?! It sure is quiet around here. What's going on? Tax season ended for me, and I have still been swamped. I have had about 3 hours of IH time in the past 4 months! How pathetic. work, work, work, 7 days a week for about 100 days, Totally nuts. I am in real need of some shop therapy. How about you guys?

surely, you guys are doing SOMETHING! Wuzup?!

14. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I've been busy, but have found a little time for my Binder, I'm in the middle of putting a Terra top on my Scout and we're back at it on mom's too we're in the wiring fazeon hers so no new pics of it[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

15. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

YEAH!!! I LOVE The terra top on an s2. If I could find one around these parts, I'd snag it. Some times , I see the top but no bulkhead, or no windows. Please post pics of this when it's installed... awesome!

16. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I been fixing the wiriing in my truck. Lots of PO crap. Got it all sorted out. I had to order a new speedo cable got it from IHPA. Also ordered a new efan controller. I didn't like the one i had only ran 1 fan on high then added fan 2 on high. worked but with A/C on only 1 fan blew across condensor at stops and low speed. Hope to get it installed this weekend. I need to get it going again as I need my truck! lol I am buying a larger shop and getting a 25ft oven so anyone that needs their frame powder coated let me know, well when I get it up in running hopefully in next 2 months.

17. J. David Oldham

J. David Oldham Farmall Cub

Not much happening with the Express. I did put it on trailer and tow to GBC to return my son's Duramax. Then drove back to El Do by 155 through Gilmer in the Scout. No troubles at all & the Scout loves the hills. Found the carb that was on it from factory. Bought carpet, slotted disk for front, 2 shocks, shims for front and a lot of bits & pieces to doll up her Scout. All waiting to be installed. Been working on my IH 240 tractor. Bush Hog & mowing season.

18. Arkansas Dave

Well i been working 75 hours/6 days a week from March until about 4 weeks ago and they moved it to 54 hours/6 days a week and finally last week 4/10's but still on on odd hours but I got a 3 day weekend this weekend and hopefully after next week go back to normal times. I been making lots of Scout money though my wife said since most everything we had planned doing was way ahead of schedule the Scout had waited long enough so start buying lots of parts and get extra busy. So I took her at her word and even when I was working 72 hours I was giving 1 hour a day to the Scout in the garage trying to accomplish something. Then it got better from there as the hours slowed, I managed to tear apart the 345 discovered it had a major issue that would take more to fix than I wanted to spend on it at this time for the result. Then I went up to my Dad's shop and got one of my 4 bolt 350's took it apart, took it to the machine shop, brought it home, ordered all my parts and this week now that my main kit came in I will take the heads, rods, new pistons and valves down and let the machinist do a valve job and press on my pistons. Then I will start the short block as soon as I get the pistons back.

Arkansas Dave

19. Arkansas Dave

Hey Matt that half cab is sharp I can't wait to see that one on there I like it already.

AD

20. Arkansas Dave

Hey Big Rigg a guy i work with bought one for his bronco from a guy with a scout that had bought it and it didn't fit so he thought it was for a bronco and after the guy with the bronco bought it it doesn't fit it either. I asked what scout the other guy had but he doesn't know, do any of you know if there is a tale tale way to know a scout half from a scout II half? Anyway long story short it is for sale if your interested I could get a price/phone number and some info.

AD