quiet around here...

Discussion in 'Mid-South Binders' started by BigRigg, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

I know how that is I had to replace mine a while back it's always something.

AD

2. Arkansas Dave

what's everyone up to? You guys have been quiet lately I am working on the Scout, insulating the pole barn, putting brakes on the Black truck and took the gray truck and picked up my old hot rod from Dad and Mom's garage Monday. Lots going on trying to beat winter and get some stuff done.
    Arkansas Dave

3. theloneduck

theloneduck Binder Driver

Same. Just winterizing the house, so not a lot on the scout.

4. theloneduck

Anyone doing anything fun this weekend? My plans are try out my new electric choke (installed in spring ) and winterizing the house some more.

5. Arkansas Dave

Yep I'm working on the Scout some, finishing sealing and repainting a metal shed, mowing, polishing wheels and maybe work some more on my building I'm getting setup to work in this winter.

Arkansas Dave

6. Arkansas Dave

Worked on the Scout some today I'm about to post some pics on the build page. Not to far from being able to put the hood back on.

AD

7. Arkansas Dave

Well i been working on the building this week while it rained and finally it quit raining so hopefully I can get in some Scout time this weekend. Man you guys are all quiet Duck did you get that choke working ok? Matt, Big Rigg, Mater and everyone you guys been doing good?

AD

8. theloneduck

Yeah, went up last wkend when it was cold and she fired right up, vs previous years, it was crank,crank,crank,.......

hopeful she will start when it’s a lot colder since the choke isn’t stuck wide open now.

9. Arkansas Dave

Got the front on my pole barn and a door, put in some lighting, got my new tires on my black truck, did some cleaning on the tuck, got a tire replaced on my old hot rod and pulled the plugs on it and lubricated the rings since it hasn't been started in awhile and am going to let it sit for awhile then spin it without plugs then reinstall and attempt to start and got a little more done to the Scout got more planned for today. i have to get started on the inside of the pole barn building some work benches and organizing my parts and work area so I have a good dry place to work.
    more to come Dave

10. Arkansas Dave

Been working on my other building allot the last few days trying to get it all ready for winter so I can work on some stuff in there. I figure I can pull the Scout in there some and take body parts in there so I can work on them in the dry. Hope all you guys are doing good.

Arkansas Dave

11. theloneduck

Question for the Arkansas hive mind. When torching a rusted stripped bolt, what gas do you use & how long? I have an exhaust manifold bolt that’s giving me fits. I put some propane on it for a few minutes ( felt like 20, probably 2) . Was nervous since it’s pass side and the fuel line is there. should it glow before removing?

12. Arkansas Dave

probably use Mapp gas it won't damage the metal like a oxy-acetylene will when getting red hot. I mean don't keep it on there until it melts it but it should get it hot enough without ruining it. I would try a few minutes then see what happens if not go until it glows a little. But be extra careful around that fuel line, if you are close to them use and old plumbers trick and wrap them in tin foil so they are protected some and reflect the heat. You can't be to cautious around that fuel just be extra careful and if it was bad close I would figure out something else. If they are already broken check you local hardware store and ask for some left handed drill bits a size or two smaller than the stud (No Kidding they really have them) then you can drill through the center and when you get most of it out it usually breaks loose and the rest of it threads out counter clockwise. I have did this before. They also have stud removing tools that might work. Good luck hope you get them out.

AD

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  13. Arkansas Dave

Happy Thanksgiving! Everybody hope everyone has a wonderful day with family.

Arkansas Dave

14. theloneduck

The fuel and vapor line are maybe 6-8 inches from the manifold. I'll probably wrap in foil anyway since I want absolutely no no chance to f*&k it up ( coz I will =) ).

Thanks for the info on the mapp gas. I'll have to go find some now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15. theloneduck

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Happy Holidays Mid-South Binderers

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17. Arkansas Dave

Happy Thanksgiving you guys! and Duck WM or Lowes will have that mapp gas.

AD

18. theloneduck

Thanks. Spent some time on another car rotating tires and showing my 13 yo daughter how to change a tire. Sadly one of the wheel studs sheared when we put one of the tires back on. Arghhhh.

19. Arkansas Dave

That's a good thing everybody needs to know how to change a tire just in case. Man I hate when I break them things.

AD

20. Arkansas Dave

Been working out in my building a bunch this week trying to get everything lined out. Put in some more permanent lights, built some more shelves, finished some of the trim outside. This low 20 degree weather is rough on the projects I got to get some heat set up. I have a kerosene heater but I decided at 10 dollars a gallon I should find a propane heater or something a little more economical. I'm in the middle of changing out my trans filter on the Scout. I waiting on a warmer day or 50 degrees so I can finish it.

AD