Quarter panel patch, how to cover rocker panels

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by chopperroxie, Nov 10, 2015.

1. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

I cut out and replaced the drivers side quarter panel patch on my 72 Scout II and used the repro patch panel from IH Parts. I had replaced the inner and outer rockers back in the summer since they were so rusted out but now I'm not sure what to do with that area in the wheel well where the rocker panel is open. Do I cover it with sheet metal? Any advice would be appreciated, picture below:

Thanks guys

Corey

IMG_5273 (600x800).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

I need to replace that same area on my 78 (shocked, right?) I was going to cover mine in sheet metal after a thorough cleaning and an attempt to get the whole inside primered.

3. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Thank Gordon. I got a internal frame coating from Eastwood that has a long nozzle that I planned on sticking inside both ends of the rocker panel and coat the crap out of it. And then try to cover it some way. I guess if I cut everything flush, a piece of sheetmetal would go over the whole area I guess.

4. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

This was some repair work I did on my Travelall ( same area) I ended up having to make a forming
    die for the patch piece , then made up some patches to cover the open rocker box
    Yep that is Eastwoods frame coating
    phone samsung kev 4-2015 211.jpg
    phone samsung kev 4-2015 216.jpg
    phone samsung kev 4-2015 227.jpg
    phone samsung kev 4-2015 229.jpg
    phone samsung kev 4-2015 234.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

That's exactly what I was looking for. Good job on that.

6. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I've been conflicted with this same thing. I think i am going to leave mine open and cut a piece out of the front inner fender that can be accessed. This will make cleaning out the rocker easy. I am also going to use the frame coat from eastwood and some fluid film inside. My thinking on the matter is I want to be able to clean it out with my pressure washer. Closing the ends will trap any moisture should any get in. Plus welding something in will cause flash rust inside, and start the rusting process almost immediately. Still up in the air about it all tho. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

8. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

A suggested modification. Leave a gap for drainage at the very bottom and bend the cover piece out ever so slightly so that the rocker is protected from most flying debris.

9. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

After thinking about it, and looking at that link you posted above, I'm kinda conflicted as well. Do I want to rustproof the inside and seal it up as a permanent rust proof job...if that's possible...or cut different drainage holes that I can plug with a rubber stopper and perform a yearly maintenance on them. I guess it depends on how much I plan on driving it in the mud/rain/snow/salt which is probably going to be quite alot.

10. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I'll soon be in the same situation myself. I am leaning toward leaving some sort of access for water to escape and where I can apply por15 or similar. I'm liking the rubber plug idea.

11. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Here's a crapp picture of mine closed off when I did my scout. I wasn't sure what it was supposed to look like seeing how it was all rusted away. I have seen a metal cap inset inside the rocker that had an access whole with plastic cover about one inch round installed in the ends. Not sure if it was stock or not. I wasn't and still am not happy with how my project finished out in regards to the rear Rockers and quarters. I have more pictures attached to the photobucket link on the below signature line.

[​IMG]