Putting a sd33t in place of blown 345

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Whitten, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Whitten

Whitten Farmall Cub

I have acquired an sd33t and I am going to have it bench tested tomorrow to see where i am at. Just wondering if anyone had a "parts list" so to speak that I could use to get things rolling. This is what I have so far...

Diesel scout II dash with all diesel applications (glow plug switch and indicator, kills switch etc...) Have a line on this as well.
    727 from an sd33 scout II ( I know, it will not be as responsive as the T18/19 but my wife drives it often and wants an automatic). I have a line on one from an older sd33 setup.
    Here is where I get foggy...
    I need bolts for the new rebuilt alternator I just got. The starter came separate and I have no idea what size bolts are needed to bolt that thing on....any direction would be great.
    Are the engine mounts the same as the 345? I have heard it should bolt right in, but do I need different engine mounts?
    Going to do the turbo swap for the mercedez, but I have no idea what to look for. When I type that in to ebay I get a ton of responses......is there a specific part number? There are several that look the same (as several people have told me) but again there are several with different A/R ratings or rates listed that look the same. Any direction would be great. I have searched the forums but no part number is every listed.
    Other than these items, is there anything else that is a must to swap the engine in? I am going to do the down pipe and intercooler etc. but that will come later. Just want to get the musts so I can get it done.
    Thanks for any help or advice on must haves and where to get them.

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

The mounts that are welded to the frame Re correct. The motor mounts on the motor are unique to the sd family (33 33t) the punts for the transmission may have to be moved I know that with the t-19 they need to be moved back about 1 1/2 inches.All the motor bolts are metric

You will want a pyrometer for sure the sd33 t and a 345 are worlds apart as far as acceleration and torque (like going uphill)
    Unless the345 is unrebuildable I would look at staying with a gas engine

3. Whitten

Whitten Farmall Cub

Thanks for the response. I am starting to lean that way. I am just finding out that there are so many little things that are going to cost! I located a 727 that I am going to put behind the 33t and a dash from a 33 that has the glow plug buttons and kills switch etc. Would the 727 require moving the mounting point for this swap. I currently have a 727 connected to the 345 I have in there. I know I need another version of the 727, but will it mount the same as this one or when the new 727 is mated with the 33t will that change how it fits in the vehicle? Thanks for any info.

4. OldGu

OldGu Farmall Cub

I have the motor mounts, frame mounts and rubber pucks from a sd33 scout. Also a 12 volt electric vacuum pump for power brakes. Everything weighs about 40 pounds. My zip is 55309. I removed the incorrect sd33 in my scout and installed a 258.

5. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

You're going to want to regear your truck. You will need deeper gears with that 33T.