PS pump brackets

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Terry W, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Terry W

Terry W Farmall Cub

I want to convert my 800a to a hydroboost. It appears there are two ps pump brackets available, with or without smog pump. I looked at my friend's Scout and he has a smog pump and ps. It looked like there are two brackets bolted together for that set up.

I'm trying to figure out what all I'll need to mount a ps pump on a 304. I'm trying to gather parts, but I want to make sure I can mount a pump before I start stockpiling stuff.

Thanks

2. jacobe

jacobe Farmall Cub

I just ordered a non smog bracket, mounted the pump and called it good. Should bolt right up.

3. Terry W

Terry W Farmall Cub

Thanks,

I just read your excellent build thread and there is a lot of very good information. It answered several questions that I have. Now that you've had a little more time to use the ps and pb and evaluate the set up is there anything you'd change?

I found a pump and I will get a bracket ordered and start hitting the junk yards. My goal to get it on the road and proceed from there, rewire, front discs etc. No off roading in the future, just a nice little street truck.

4. jacobe

jacobe Farmall Cub

Things that I'd change would be starting with a PS pump with dual returns and higher output. Then you don't mess with a T or Y in the return line or have to do some pressure modification like the West Texas mod.

5. Terry W

Terry W Farmall Cub

I take it I can add another return to a SII pump?

FWIW, I will be running stock axles and suspension, no lift, and the wheels and tires will be just big enough to look good. The only off roading will be a dirt parking lot. Strictly a daily driver street truck.

6. jacobe

jacobe Farmall Cub

Sure, you can add another return to a standard scout II pump. A 'standard' scout II pump isn't anything special... it's just a saginaw style pump that you'll see on a bunch of other vehicles of the era... like any chevy half ton. But you can drill a hole in the 'canned ham' reservoir and weld/braze another return port to it.

Also- FWIW, I didn't increase the pressure because I'm doing any crazy offroading or have big/aggressive tires.