Proper Lubricant for T-496 Transmission

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by DWat47, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DWat47

DWat47 Farmall Cub

Hello, I have decided to go with motor oil for my manual transmission rather than gear oil. The T-496 is known for under lubrication at the upper levels of the housing and I have read a lighter weight engine oil like 10w30 is best to solve this. However, would an even lighter weight oil work any better? Would I better off with something like 5w20? Or maybe a lightweight manual trans fluid? Another solution posted online is to add a 90 degree elbow to the fill port, however my fill port is on top of the housing not the side. Did IH move the fill port to the top as a way to raise the oil level or am I missing something here? My lineset ticket says I have a T-496 in a RA-199 housing. I attached it below. Thanks for any help. :beer:

Attached Files:

2. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Here's a bulletin from 1975 on the subject:

Attached Files:

DWat47 likes this.
  3. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Unless yours is the equivalent of a "parade truck" I think you might be creating one problem trying to solve another that you know only as "one you heard about." For one thing, engine oil has the wrong sorts of additives in it. Secondly, the viscosity of a 10W30, or God forbid a 5W20, is too low to provide adequate protection in a truck gearbox when the truck is used as a truck.

Maybe you know this already but the viscosity grade, the "30" and "40," is not an actual measurement of viscosity but a grade that encompasses a viscosity range measured in centistokes (which is the real measurement of viscosity). Engine oil and gear oil grades use completely different grade scales and a 90 grade gear oil is roughly equivalent in viscosity to a 40 grade engine oil. While a lighter oil might get more up to the top of the gearbox, you are better off doing like the TSB suggests and increasing the oil level. That way, the upper parts of the gearbox get more of the RIGHT oil. Also, just in case you are concerned about cold flow, bear in mind that there are multigrade gear oils, such as 75W/90, that flow better at low temps.

DWat47 likes this.
  4. DWat47

DWat47 Farmall Cub

Thank you greatly. That's the exact information I was looking for.

5. BinderBookie

Well your snotty reply came thru on my email before you deleted it here. Yes I did read the bulletin.

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

7. DWat47

DWat47 Farmall Cub

Lol if there is a service bulletin I don't think the issue is simply "one I heard about." The TSB also specifically recommends engine oil, so how again is it not the right oil? Your condescending attitude warranted a snarky response.

8. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

If a little is good a lot must be better right? So it only makes sense that if a little thinner viscosity (a 40 weight) is good, then a lot thinner viscosity, like a 20 or even 10 weight must be the best. Clearly a can of diesel fuel or even kerosene would be best, right?

Obviously not. 5w20 or 0w20 would be disastrous. The 5 in front , or the zero indicates an oil that's very thin when cold. A transmission probably won't ever get hot enough to really hit that second number, the 20, which is still really thin. The closest commonly available thing to a 20w40 is either a 20w50, or a 15w40. 15w actually overlaps the ranges of viscosity found in 20w. I'd probably use the same 15w40 engine oil I put in my 345, for the exact same reason. Its about the closest thing to 20w40 that you can buy at the local store. And that's what the bulletin recommends. When both a lower and a higher viscosity oil are recommended, then the lower is for cold climates and the higher for warmer climates. 10w40 would be for something like winter in Detroit. 15w40 would likely be a good choice for most uses.

9. DWat47

DWat47 Farmall Cub

Yeah, going off the TSB I'm sticking with a 15w40 oil and raised level. 5w20 is recommended in the International S-Series Operator Manual for a couple different manual transmissions in colder climates, so it's not too far-fetched of an idea. Some great straw men you built there though. :thumbs up:

10. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I'll miss you most of all scarecrow.... ;-)

11. BinderBookie

To be clear, the tone in my first post was simply matter-of-fact. "Just-the-facts-man." My "condescending attitude" on lubricants is based on a fair bit of professional training, knowledge and practical experience. Things you obviously don't have much of or you wouldn't even dare mention putting a 5W20 into a manual trans. Also 45 year old TSBs based on 45 year old lubricants is not always the best guide. Your truck so you can dump in whatever you like but if you ask for advice, and it's given in good faith, it doesn't say much for your character that you start off spitting into the hand offering help.

jeff campbell likes this.
  12. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

I did some background checking on T-496 failure and why they went with motor oil. In short the reverse gear is not a sliding gear but is collar shifted. What that means it is ALWAYS spinning from engagement with the counter shaft rather than slid out of engagement for forward gears. With very low ratio, it spins very fast at road speed. Normal heavy gear oil just wipes them out from drag and not getting to their bore on the mainshaft which can also take out a very expensive mainshaft. Thinner oil and a raised oil level is supposed to correct that.

DWat47 likes this.
  13. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

I’ve had a very small number of people that see emotion in typed words, it’s simply not there. Pretty much any sentence can be delivered either matter of fact, or mean/rude. But without body language, tone of voice, etc, it’s a baseless assumption.