Project WTF: 1977 SII LS Swap

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by ScottTX, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

Cleaning up under the hood. Plan is to make it look as good as the rest of the body. Pretty good for 40 years old. At least I know my Scout used to be mellow yellow! There truly isn't much to the old trucks. Everything you need nothing you don't.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cleaning the steering box will be fun.
    [​IMG]
    So what should I do with this ghetto path job? Leave it? Clearly the battery eat through the fender long ago and this was the fix. Not sure what else to do.
    [​IMG]
    And what to do with this little bit in the corner...only bad rust in the whole Scout (I hope)
    [​IMG]

2. patman52

patman52 Farmall Cub

you could weld it in instead of rivets then grind the welds off if you want it to be purdy but you dont HAVE to....

ScottTX likes this.
  3. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Not structural so any method is viable. Rust converter, chassis saver paint, or patch panels (welded, panel adhesive, or rivets). Pulling them off for media blasting would be worth it.

ScottTX likes this.
  4. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

Said good bye to the old power plant. She is going to a good home with fellow BP member steven73. BTW, how badass is that restore military trailer!?!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

I think I will pull patch panel, have fenders blasted and then reevaluate. I may make a more suitable smaller patch and weld it in, like mentioned above. This one is way bigger than the hole its covering. i am guessing because the intention was to put the battery back in this location, but they relocated it to the rear. I will be putting it back in the front.

6. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Locate a rust free inner and have it blasted and powder coated. Or painted. Then you won't have to worry about it. Then later repair the bad one and resale to get some money back if its even worth fixng

7. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

That is ideal, but I am having no luck finding one in good condition. Still looking.

8. BetterThanScottTX

BetterThanScottTX Farmall Cub

Why not go with a more powerful LS engine? More power = more better!

9. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

More power is better! However, I have the exact same motor and tranny in my Avalanche and wanted them to be the same. If I have issues I have spares 10 feet away to test!

10. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

The LMG 5.3L makes 320hp and 335lb/ft at the crank. With a simple tune they will make 300hp at the wheels with a good tune and E85 will make 325hp pretty easy. That is at the wheel power. WAY more than the SV even thought about making. For the price of the 5.3L and the power its well worth it. Yes a 6.0L or car motor will make more but why pay 3 times as much for little more power stock for stock, yes there is more potential in the larger ci units but good thing is you can build what you want and swap the liong block out in 30min and reflash ECM and have more power at anytime. People get caught up in power number of the LS and even up spended 3 times as much initally and take twice as long to get installled. So a 4.8 or 5.3L swap in then work toward power levels that way one can enjoy it.

11. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

The parts are starting to show up and the work is starting to stack up. JB Conversions Slip Yoke Eliminator. Pretty beefy bit of kit. Makes me feel a bit better about the price! I will be reassembling the NP241c this weekend.
    [​IMG]

I am not sure if I should be excited or scared of this one...doesn't look too E-Z. I actually don't mind wiring. I used to do stereos all the time. I just want to make the install look professional. Based on research, it seems that Weather Pack connectors are the way to go. I just need to map my circuits so I will know how many to buy. I bought the 21 circuit wiring kit since I will have alarm, power locks, power windows, stereo with amps, electric fans, trailer wiring, etc. I think I will wrap them all in mesh wire loom. Any wiring pointers are appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    BayouRougarou likes this.
  12. steven73

steven73 Farmall Cub

I too did the EZ 21 circ harness. Huge improvement over my stock wiring, lights were brighter, no more chasing bad grounds. I had to extend the rear wires as they were not long enough to reach the rear when I ran them back down pass side of frame.
    There are a couple of posts floating around that tell about different year GM light switches you can use to get park lights to come on with headlights.
    I suggest downloading the Painless wiring manual for the equivalent harness and read through it too before you start. the EZ manual wasn't as detailed about some things as I would have liked. Also have the Scout wiring diagrams handy during the process.
    I started out crimping, soldering and heat shrinking every connection but got about 80% done and got impatient and skipped the soldering on some of the final connections.
    I probably spent another $150 on wire loom, grommets, connectors and other incidentals.

ScottTX likes this.
  13. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

Ok, not much to share. Spent A LOT of time removing everything from underneath the Scout over the last couple of days. I decided to clean it up, prep and paint the whole bottom. No better time then now. I want to lower the tank so I can paint above it which got me thinking. I have the stock steel tank. It doesn't look bad and I have no reason to think it is not in good shape inside other than it 40 years old. However, I will be replacing everything in the fuel system with the LS swap. Should I take this opportunity and just replace it with a poly tank? They are $200 shipped from eBay. Then I can ensure that I have clean fuel. I have read mixed reviews about seals around the sender but I can seal it up with some sealant. Any opinions?

14. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

If I was gonna purchase a new tank I would go with the steel 33 gallon version, and I did.

15. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I would do the poly tank its 19gals Figure getting 18mog avg that's 342 miles on one tank not bad. Yes the 33 gal is nice but expensive and is still made of steel. Plus cost you twice as much money to fill up.

I am working on aluminum tanks for SII at this time but won't have them on market a min. lol Be intake pump option, with sump and baffles Around 25 gals maybe larger version as well.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  16. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

You serious? What is your timeline and ballpark costs? Maybe I wait.

17. ScottTX

ScottTX Farmall Cub

Getting ready to send my harness, ECM, and TCM to 150Tunes.com. Here is the info I have for my re-wire. Am I forgetting anything I needed kept in or tuned out? I assume even with tuned out emissions, I need to keep front O2 sensors? I can't decide whether to keep Active Fuel Management (V4 mode). I am afraid the sound from the exhaust with be terrible. I haven't selected my exhaust yet.

1977 IH Scout II
    5.3 Gen IV (LC9) with 6L80 from 4x4 2011 Suburban
    35” tires
    3.55 gears

Tune In/Keep In:
    Thumps Up/Thumps Down
    Electric Fan Controls (I have no mechanical fan)
    VSS (signal from NP241C Transfer Case tailshaft, 1990 Suburban)
    Air Conditioning Control
    Drive by wire (pedal included from donor 2011 Suburban)
    Check engine light and OBD2
    Firmer Shift Points
    Active Fuel Management

Tune Out:
    Remove emissions
    Remove VATS

Expectations:
    Modest daily drive tune for 87 Octane. Firm shifts.

18. BayouRougarou

BayouRougarou Farmall Cub

Yes keep the front o2's. Looks like you got the other stuff covered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ScottTX likes this.
  19. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

How will you keep it alive? Steel skid plate box?

20. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Its just as durable as a plastic tank. If for off roading it hard core, then can add steel armor plate to it.