Project Rusty Buildup Thread!

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Sorry, can't help myself. Got it back from the exhaust. Mike did a great job as usual. She gets a few looks while driving around town.
    [​IMG]

They kept it close and clean. Diggin' it. New from the manifolds it drops down with 2.25" then the Y-pipe goes to 2.5" and on its way out the back it has a standard 3-chamber turbo muffler.

As you can see, the passenger bank was routed under the engine (in the open space in the oil pan.
    [​IMG]

From the front, as you can see, no possible interferance with the front drive shaft.
    [​IMG]

From the back...
    [​IMG]

2. Damian Grihalva

I found the hickup on the TBI. IT WASN'T THE TBI!

DynaModule went out, I guess the electronics don't like welding/plasma cutting. I knew it had to be something stupid and easy. While Mark was here we started looking over things, found a few things that I didn't notice before, but nothing cured the hickup.

While staring at the dash I noticed that the tach would go dead for a split second right when the TBI cut out. I checked the signal and power to the dissy and everything was 100%. Even gave it direct power to make sure it could pull the amps. Still nothing helped. So while at the parts store to get brake parts I picked up a cheapo stock module to see if that did anything. Guess what, IT FIXED IT!

Note to self, protect the dissy when welding/plasma'n the scout. ;)

3. Damian Grihalva

I just uploaded the lastest pictures so I might as well put them to use.

First the little rascal that had me sweatin' about the TBI
    [​IMG]

Turns out the hickup was a bad ignition module. This one was not bad, it was fried by welding on the chassis too much. Here is the new one
    [​IMG]
    Going in.
    [​IMG]

Next it was time to do the brake work on Rusty. Got parts...
    [​IMG]

Here's some custom hoses.
    [​IMG]

4. Damian Grihalva

And my favorite buddy to help is Mark, aka Coop or Cooper. This Dude is worth his weight in gold.
    [​IMG]

Master Cylinder all plumbed w/ 2# residuals
    [​IMG]

Rear end is pretty clean plumbed and looking GOOD!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If the lines don't look good its becuase they seem to be hangin' in the breeze, hold tight, I didn't have the tabs and hold-downs. They clean right up and are very clean looking when properly secured.

Front brake lines, a little more complex but still looking high-n-tight.
    [​IMG]

From the axle to the track-bar :grinpimp:
    [​IMG]

Lastly I finally 100% installed the new wheel bearings and lockouts. Not the ultra-bling Warn Premiums, but Warn all the same.
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now.

5. Damian Grihalva

5-point harness bars with sewn in subliminal message
    [​IMG]

Then started narrowing Rusty's stock grill for the new width.
    [​IMG]

Taking 17" out of it.
    [​IMG]

That looks REALLY narrow to me. Outside-to-outside of grill is 45" ~ I guess the Scout's fenders will add a few inches to that...
    [​IMG]
    Hope I didn't just make a mistake..........

......Ah ~ oh well. :evil:

I'm going to try bolting on the front fenders and mounting this grill tomorrow. Bought the rest of the metal for skin'n the sides and back so that should be fun.

Stay tuned.

6. 73scoutII

73scoutII Farmall Cub

One little thing I just noticed, are the lower coilover mounts going to be strong enough with the maltese cross stamped in the middle?

Looking very good, keep the pictures comin!

7. Damian Grihalva

Yes, they are 5/16" thick, so they'll be plenty. Actually I've seen comp guys running 1/8" ~ if it works for them....

8. 73scoutII

73scoutII Farmall Cub

That's what I figured, pics are deceiving sometimes :)

9. budget76

budget76 High Wheeler

Snoop, IIRC you had bought a set of SS2 mirrors for Rusty, and said you were only planning on using the driver side. Still got the passenger one, and if you do, want to sell it? I only have the driver side ;)

then again, it may have not been you, it's late and i'm pretty tired :rolleyes:

10. Damian Grihalva

The pass side mirror is spoken for. Sorry.

11. Damian Grihalva

Well, I took the long weekend and spent time with my family, BBQ'd and worked on rusty. There are a TON of new pictures, lots of progress, and here ya go:

First thing is that I secured the brake lines and bled the brakes. Although most of the joints were ok, a few of the joints needed snugged down a couple times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then Allen my buddy from Abbot Fire came and charged my shocks for me. Wha’da guy!
    [​IMG]

Next I had to make sure Rusty could drive ok.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

…and once that was established, I took Matthew out for a donut or two. ;) D)
    [​IMG]

12. Damian Grihalva

Then it was time to re-mount the front clip. I’m not a body guy so this didn’t thrill me much…

I held the stock fenders in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nick using the stock fender-to-grill bolt holes.
    [​IMG]

We quickly discovered that pinching the front made the fenders need to be longer. I knew this, but didn’t REALIZE it. So instead of cutting and lengthening the fenders, I simply mounted them off the front of the A-pillar w/ some body tabs.
    [​IMG]

The grill still mounts via the stock bolt holes, we just welded bolts onto the tube work.
    [​IMG]

Rear of fenders held on by large pan head rivets (3/16” size)
    [​IMG]

13. Damian Grihalva

Here’s the front clip mounted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :smoking:

Time to skin the rear compartment ~ FINALLY. My mistake was to use 1/8” sheet ~ dang that stuff is hard to bend without heat. Started with a 4’ x 2’ sheet ~ tacked in place.
    [​IMG]

Then using ever c-clamp in my shop slowly bent it over. I tried using a map torch but that just made things hot, not hot enough to help. :shaking:
    [​IMG]

Cut ~ bend ~ weld ~ cut ~ bend ~ weld…..
    [​IMG]

and eventually….
    [​IMG]

14. Damian Grihalva

After finish welding everything…
    [​IMG]

…it looked like…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next it was time to mount my bling-bling LEDs :D :D Mark holes.
    [​IMG]

….Cut and install….
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And paint..
    [​IMG]

15. Damian Grihalva

Time to get busy on the front clip…. Thanks to Matthew for some pictures of Daddy sanding all the nasty blue paint…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually doesn’t look bad being ‘smurf blue’
    [​IMG]

Painted Rustoleum flat black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then I got busy with my favorite painting tape
    [​IMG]

and newspaper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Damian Grihalva

Obviously I had to re-paint the back end a bit to re-gain the shinyness that it once had and to match the new paint up front. Here’s some different views.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the passenger compartment w/ seats put back in
    [​IMG]
    ;) :D ;)

17. Damian Grihalva

Then I took it to the old shop to test flex things a bit to see how it’d do.
    Lifted the back up 44-48” off the ground and that’s when my ‘lets see if this is enough’ style of trimming showed that I needed to take another 2” off of the front fenders. :mad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front end seemed to flex pretty good
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That’s 53-56 inches. At 56 the back tire pulled up off the ground. If you stand on it, it’ll go back down but that’s cheating. The front shock isn’t compressed all the way, so I guess I could have gone with a lighter spring rate but I’ll hold off until I can test it on a trail before messing with the springs.

18. Damian Grihalva

Well, there ya have it. Yes, it was a busy weekend. I took it for a drive and I did have a few problems.

The big one is the brakes. I had to lengthen the rod that coes from the pedal to the MC 'plunger' to get more braking power ~ but still can't lock up the front brakes like I think I should. I'm going to put a 10# residual in the front (as one of my buddies who have run BIG tires on 1-ton brakes has done). I know that should make the front brakes drag a little. Led said that when he ran them like that they didn't and since I have a 10# residual I might as well try it.

Second, and more annoying, is we had some massive rain last night. It was wild, unfortunately the tranny dipstick was out and even though I had a nice tarp over it, it make the tarp into a swimming pool and that somehow got water into the trans. I caught it this morning as there was some trans fluid out on the driveway. I drained it all out, will be re-gasketing and refilling it later then I'll have the trans flushed. What a pain.

That it for now.

19. Damian Grihalva

Alright, I should update this thread as it needs it. I'm planning on cutting apart the hood and reinstalling it. The big thing is mounting it. I plan on using 4 hood pins, one at each corner.

Grill should be shortened as well and re-intalled on the ~ grill The way I cut it down, the 'international' badge on the grill will now be centered.

Headlights, I'm going to put some off-road lights or driving lights in there. The tube work is directly behind the grill so I don't think the stock stuff will go back in, but I am getting the front marker/blinker lights to work as well.

The next big thing, besides the brakes, will be the front bumper w/ winch mount ~ that will be Gloss Red to match the other tubing and give some red to the front (which is rather dark right now).

Doyle helped me do some leg work. I checked the casting number on the brake MC that I got from checker, Napa said that it could be a 1" bore. So for $36 I bought a new one from them with a 1 1/8" bore. Put the 10# residual in the front, and will be testing it out today/tomorrow (need to finish an SOA first). The constant rain has closed Indy for the time being so no testing there. Luckily I know the guy who owns the XRRA track in Colo Springs ~ only 6 miles from my house ~ and I may be able to do some testing there. :evil:

20. Damian Grihalva

Brad Kellogg (some my recognize the scout from various video clips and the recent issue of Crawl) showed up on Thursday about 10am
    [​IMG]

About 7 miles from my place is the RAM offroad park where they hold the XRRA races. I happen to know the owner ~ as well as several of my local suppliers ~ so I called him up to see if we could play in his yard for a while. He said sure and we headed out.
    [​IMG]
    Brads rig on trailer
    [​IMG]

Rusty was looking good as we pulled into the 'play' area
    [​IMG]

Led drove me around to get me used to the way Rusty would go down things. This is the exit from the XRRA race, its not that steep going down, but that lip in front of my tires can cause some stuckage when going up it. Rusty went up and down no prob.
    [​IMG]

Then Led 'led' me around through various holes and climbs, nothing too hard, just checking what happens.
    [​IMG]

An off-camber drop was the first thing that made me nervous to look at, but once on it, I realized Rusty wasn't going anywhere but where I turned the wheel.
    [​IMG]

The driver side coil came unseated and wouldn't right itself so we found a 'bowl' to flex the front out on.
    [​IMG]
    Flex was even front-to-back. I was happy to see that the suspension was decently balanced.

My camera man missed a couple really Gnarly climbs but managed to snap a picture from about a mile away :shaking: It doesn't look that steep but this part flattens out up to the ledge Led (the spotter) is standing on, then it goes virticle. At first I couldn't climb it. I let Led drive and he was able to crawl it with the extra wheel speed and some flying dirt. After that I tried again and presto.
    [​IMG]