Project Karma

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by tahoedonner, May 31, 2014.

1. tahoedonner

tahoedonner Binder Driver

Been logging some decent road time in the truck. Added some 2* shims to the front axle and had an alignment done. She tracks really nice right now. Finally felt safe taking her above 55 but when I did I got a decent driveline vibration. Downloaded a Tremec driveline app for my phone and the measurements say I need to shim the rear. Ordered up some more 2* shims for the rear along with some new centering pins from IHPA. I'm going to install those first and then take her on the freeway again. I've got a new tranny mount from IHPA that I want to put in but I was waiting until I dropped the t-case. Hopefully the shims will solve the vibration. I also finally got around to putting the hood on. Shockingly it runs hotter than without the hood. Coolant temp holds steady at about 205 after going up a steep grade and then letting it sit. Will sit at 185 when it's not being pushed. Temp is a touch high but nothing I'm worried about.

Finally got the front speakers installed also. They really solidify the door panels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tahoedonner

Installed some rear 2* shims and new center pins, I got from IHPA, based on the info I got from the Tremec driveline calculator I downloaded and took the truck out for another freeway drive. Driveline vibration when I was between 65-70, which is technically 1.2 x speedometer @ 78-84, was reduced quite a bit. Pretty sure the new transmission mount will reduce it even more. Overall I'm pretty damn happy with how well everything is working. Transfer case is now leaking a little bit. 4 days later I've got a couple quarters worth of oil on the ground. The t-case seems to be seeping from pretty much every spot you would think it would leak from. It looks to me that it is transmission fluid. I'm hoping the PO put tranny fluid in the t-case. Probably wishful thinking. Either way I should probably pull the t-case and inspect. Too bad because I really wanted to put a few hundred miles on her before I left her inoperable again. Already have the reseal kit. Going to drain the t-case and see if it refills with fluid.

3. tahoedonner

Got some more finishing touches done on the interior.

Tuffy Center Console
    IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG

Pedals
    IMG_1385.JPG

4. customtronic

customtronic Farmall Cub

It looks great! I just read your thread start to finish.

5. subldoed

subldoed Farmall Cub

Love the build! Where'd you get the pedals? Is the console the 10" wide version?

6. tahoedonner

Thanks. It's been quite a journey.

Picked up the pedals from Summit. I think they're Lokar midnight series pedals. I did have to drill new holes in the pedals to attach but it's pretty painless. Probably took and hour total. Console is the 10" version and fits perfect between the seats. The rear attachment of the console just needs to be slightly rounded out for the legs to reach the floor. Technically you could just put the two bolts in and I'm sure it would be snug as can be.

7. tahoedonner

My original grille was in pretty rough shape so I went with the SS grille. I'm not liking the fact that it is very cheap plastic looking. So I decided to see what I could come up with for a custom grille built off the old one.

I sanded off all the chrome and cut out the center of the old grille. I've had some nice stainless mesh for awhile that I was going to put behind the SS grille but instead cut out a piece to fit in the center of the old grille. I painted the old chrome portion black and will put an IH emblem in the center when all is said and done. I was trying to emulate the style of the older 80/800 grilles. Haven't been able to put it on the truck yet but I think I might like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  8. tahoedonner

Got the grille installed today. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.
    Closeup.JPG Front L.JPG Front R.JPG Front.JPG

CazNeck79 likes this.
  9. CazNeck79

CazNeck79 Binder Driver

Looks awesome! I like the grille. Stance is killer. What are going to do for a bumper?

10. tahoedonner

Going to build my own. I've been drawing them out for awhile now and have settled on a design I like. Built it out of cardboard and need to make a few more tweaks. Should have it done by summer hopefully.

11. CazNeck79

CazNeck79 Binder Driver

Cool, I look forward to seeing it. Im planning to do the same thing for Clover

12. 1929sixspeedspecial

1929sixspeedspecial Farmall Cub

Look for a bumper on Ebay made by Affordable off-road. Seriously well built and will take a hammering! I love mine, and they shipped it for free! I couldnt design and build one for what it cost me from them. I have the winch bumper on the front of the scout in my profile picture. They make them for 800's as well as Scout IIs.

13. tahoedonner

I like the bumpers. Your rig in your pic is ridiculous btw. I still am going to try and build a one off. More for enjoyment of trying than anything.

14. tahoedonner

Just as I had all my cooling issues ironed out and took the truck on a 30 mile drive I decided it was time to make her inoperable again. I had a decent leak coming from the T case and didn't have the confidence in taking the truck long distances until I resealed it. It was pretty much leaking out of every orifice. Also wanted to know if the seal between t case and transmission was leaking. Pulled it out, ground off at least 3 inches of crud from all sides, pulled it all apart, and put it back together. Was a relatively easy deal. While the T case was out it was the perfect time to change out the transmission mount and clean/paint the crossmember. Old one was about as bad as it could get. Picked up an RPT transmission mount from IH Parts awhile back. Seal between T case and transmission wasn't leaking for the first couple days but after I replaced the trans mount I noticed the next morning it had started to leak. Glad it took me so long to clean, paint and reseal the damn thing.

Trans mount old and new

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

T case old and new.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. tahoedonner

Pulled the extension housing to replace the dual seals between the t case and transmission. Cleaned off all the crud and sprayed it with a clear everything else is black but this seemed like it should stay aluminum colored. Also when my exhaust guy did my exhaust he used the cheap and useless crush clamps for the couple spots he didn't weld. I ended up replacing those with these sleeves and the exhaust leaks are now all gone. Sounds amazing, except for the racket that the damn smog pump makes.

Dual seals in extension housing

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Extension housing installed as well as transfer case installed

image.jpg

image.jpeg

New exhaust seals

image.jpg

image.jpg

16. tahoedonner

Took her for a really long topless ride today.

image.jpeg

Crockett likes this.
  17. chopperroxie

chopperroxie Farmall Cub

Wow, that is looking really sweet. Love the stance.
    Great job!!!

18. tahoedonner

Thx. Finally having a blast driving it a bunch after 5 yrs. but still a long way to go.

19. tahoedonner

Been working on a custom tonneau to cover the area from the backseat to the tailgate. I decided to make a frame out of square aluminum tubing. Will cover that in hardboard on both sides. All of that will be covered in marine vinyl. I'm using c channel aluminum as the rail covers as well. Turns out it's also a perfect fit to latch over the back or the tailgate. Gas struts to open and will also keep it from rattling around when down. I will use locking hood pins to secure it shut. It's not theft proof by any means but should help protect the rear carpeting and stereo components from weather and those looking to quickly snatch something out of the back.

Aluminum Frame

IMG_2263.JPG
    Rails

IMG_0459.JPG

Decided to round the rear corners s it would flow better.

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

The rear channel piece fits perfectly over the tailgate and the weather strip. Still waiting for full length piece to show up.

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

Vinyl and hood pins

IMG_2250.JPG

Rough mock up.

IMG_0458.JPG

Attached Files:

20. tahoedonner

Final piece of the puzzle showed up today. Hope to have this finished out in the next couple weeks.

IMG_2326.JPG