Project Johnny Reb

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by David Miller, Oct 28, 2009.

1. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

We just located a parts truck for a bed donor. It was in a shed since 1979, then was pushed outside a few months ago into a swamp behind the old shed, which then fell in. There is one big dent in the right side, but "my dad is a TV repair man- he has an awesome set of tools. I think we can fix it". (Some of you might be too young to get that one).

The parts truck has surface rust only, except the hood that was only partially cover in the shed. When we went to get it, it was parked facing downhill and the bed was full of rain water.

We spent all day Saturday in the pouring rain freeing up frozen brake drums, dragging the truck out of a swampy field, winching it onto a trailer with a come-along, and the getting the Travelette and trailer winched to solid ground so we could haul it home. The seller showed up with a cool 77 J20 pickup to handle the recovery. Without his help we would still be standing in four inches of rainwater with a come-along and chain.

It is the first barn find we recovered from a swamp.

The seller said it was parked in the barn since 1979. It appears to have original or original type front tires, and the back tires are "Mud Grips" from the seventies, like the ones my dad ran on his 65 C10 work truck. There are coil springs welded to the top of the rear axle and the frame, so it has a tail-high stance. We will start an archeological dig this week when it all dries out. The bed is full of ancient bottles and farm crap, and the cab is loaded with a much of old papers. It has power nothing and a 304. It has the torque rod IFS. There is no title and no key. It is a very light green color with a dark green vinyl top. We will post up parts from it soon.

So the JReb has some nicer bed sheet metal on the way. The project got sidetracked for a few daily driver projects, but should see some progress over the summer. There is likely a 392 in its future, but this is our long term project.

2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Thank you for the update.

I'm a big Johnny Reb fan, and yours has an interesting story behind it to boot.

3. michigan scout

michigan scout High Wheeler

pics of the parts truck would be cool

4. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

Here we are loaded to go. But wait. No go. Ground was too rotten and we had to wait on a winch to get to solid earth. The Travellette is a bit front heavy.

And I know the trailered vehicle should be loaded with the engine to the front, but we pulled it from the swamp backwards and loaded it on the trailer backwards. I drove a few miles and had no issues. So we took it home backasswards, as my dad would say.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  5. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

I will post up some pics of the truck when I take them.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  6. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

That must have been a highly optioned truck. I have never seen that trim on the back of the cab right above the bed before on any other D series truck.

Hopefully all of the crap in the bed didn't cause the floor to rust out like it did with my Travelette. My truck had a perfect bed floor when it was parked, but stuff got thrown in the bed and held water for many years, and well, you know the rest.

Maybe you can get a bed side for your travelette from the Johnny Reb bed.

7. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Cool truck! I can't wait to see how this turns out!

8. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

The boys took several pictures while we were in the swamp, I can'the get them to upload with my phone.

Attached Files:

9. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

That is a really nice parts truck, you might need to get another "parts truck" and build this one too! :D:cornfused:

10. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

Here are pics the boys took while we were working to free up the brake drums.

Attached Files:

11. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

I have to agree with Mitch. What ever happened to the other D bed you got from me?

12. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

I cut it up to make a bed floor for the scout and a repair section for the Travelette

13. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

I cleaned out the bed of the 71 1010 today. Solid floor under 37 years of accumulated debris. The truck sat in a barn until a few months ago when it was pushed outside and parked nose first downhill. The bed was full of water. In the previous images, water is pouring out of the back of the bed because we jacked up the front to change tires and free up the brakes.

The stuff in this truck is like a time capsule. Old newspapers and books, and a 1978 JC Whitney catalog. You can get a complete HiFi set with two speakers for your truck or car for $15.99. Church bulletins and part of a girly mag. But it all got wet when the truck was outside.

I found nails, a dog chain, and an old tobacco blade. A huge rotten tarp, Tab bottles, unopened Miller Beer bottles, and an IH coolant jug. There were old pens from long closed companies, and some weird bolts with red heads. Oh, and lots of 22 shells. And three aftermarket hubcaps with no marking on them at all - anywhere.

But most important, the bed floor is solid. The only rotten part is where the tailgate hinges rusted off.

Tomorrow I'll clean out the cab. I saw a line set ticket for a 78 IH in the seat.

Attached Files:

14. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Those are the factory hubcaps off of that truck,I also have a set of 3.I could use one if you are parting with them.
    Jeff

15. David Miller

David Miller Farmall Cub

Sure. We can arrange that

16. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Just came across your Johnny Reb thread again while searching the site archives for some other data.

How is the Johnny Reb progressing?

17. JohnnyReb345

JohnnyReb345 Farmall Cub

Progression on the Johnny Reb is going slowly as I am in college right now and only get to work on it on breaks. I did get to do some work on it over Christmas Break which was nice. We took the parts truck from the farm we were storing it at and did a bed swap.

Attached Files:

scout2000 likes this.
  18. harvesterman93

harvesterman93 Farmall Cub

what was so bad about the original bed? doesn't look all that bad from the pics and the new bed had the big dent in it . . . glad to see some progress! Lookin good!

19. JohnnyReb345

JohnnyReb345 Farmall Cub

The old bed doesn't have much of a floor left and there are a lot of pin holes that me and dad don't want to deal with. We think it will be easier just to bang the dent out of this one.

20. harvesterman93

harvesterman93 Farmall Cub

Gotcha well if yall cut the old one up or anything let me know ill buy the end caps if not the whole bed sides