Project Jersey ....an 800a build

Discussion in 'Old Iron Offroad' started by lev1a, Apr 24, 2011.

1. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Got a father son project from New Jersey in the shop. Eric the owner and his father sent it down for some suspension mods and rust repair. General specs are I am assuming 304 powered 800a, t18, d20 stock front and rear diffs. The general goal for the build is a good pavement pounder and some light duty wheeling capabilities should Eric have the urge to sling some mud.
    Build specs are:
    DandC style reverse shackle
    SOA
    Scout II dana44s front and rear
    Scout II front leaf springs up front
    Scout II front leaf springs in the rear - a leaf or 2
    Hi-steer
    Old Iron HD tie rod and draglink
    F250 shock towers up front
    Rancho rsxl serries shocks up front
    Ranch rs serries in the rear
    High Angle CV shafts front and rear

Here is how she sits ATM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric and his father had just finished cleaning up the engine before she came in. Very clean:yes:

[​IMG]

First thing before I began is hit the under side with some degreaser and give her a proper preasure wash to knock of any loose crud. Then pulled her in put the front end on jack stands to remove the front end bracketry.... More on suspension mods once we get some parts rollin in.

For now I turned my focus to what rust repair needed to be done and how bad it was. The PO that had the truck before Eric really liked fiber glass. So with wire wheel and hammer and punch in hand we hit the trouble areas to see what fell off.

This is what was on top of the pas. side floor

[​IMG]

and what we found underneath

[​IMG]

The entire forward cab mount is nothing but spray foam and glass so it has to be replaced also.

[​IMG]

The pas. and driver side rocker pannels are getting a new skin, Pas. side quarter is getting replace with a NOS quarter pannel that Erics father scored and sent down with the truck. Both floor pans are getting replaced and there also has to be some repairs made to the top.

Pas side rocker
    [​IMG]

Driver side rocker complete with spray foam.:hammer:

[​IMG]

Driver side quarter looks pretty solid at the bottom , just needs a little love around the lower edge.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more.

2. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

looking forward to another one of your builds :punk:

3. Bren B

Bren B Farmall Cub

Good to see pictures of that project. Eric and his dad are very nice guys. The NOS quarter, rocker panels and parts for the inner fender repair all came from me.

4. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Stay tuned Fred the Baby scout should be right up your alley.

Bren the Nos quarter was an awesome score for this build!!! I will also agree that Eric and his father are super nice guys. I hope they will enjoy following the progress and the finished product!!!!!

5. Mtownscout

Mtownscout Guest

Eagerly following. Can't wait to get her back so I can finish her up. Looking forward to seeing her grow!! I know you will do a great job Levi and thanx for the parts and help Bren!

6. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Got some progress on the rust repair. Front fender patched, pas. rocker panel on , and quarter spotted to the endcap and set in place to check the fit. With the rocker removed we found some more spray foam.:hammer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With all of the rust wire wheeled out we used Loctite extend rust neutralizer, and then top coated with rustoluem undercoating. should keep the rust at bay for several years.

[​IMG]

backside of rocker coated with undercoating

[​IMG]

Next I moved on to the front fender patch. The patch is flat and requires some work to retain the factory curve at the lip of the wheel well. Luckily the rust in the fender was localized enough that we were able to keep the factory look to it.

Here is the piece that was removed. Bondo is a dangerous tool in the wrong hands.:stuart:

[​IMG]

Patch pannel clamped so it can be marked for cutting. Remember cut bigger than you need and trim to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tacked in place. It took some relief cuts on the flange that meets the rocker and some bending here and there to make the shape fit just right but we got-er-did.

[​IMG]

Here you can she still got her curves.:yes:

[​IMG]

Final fit spotted all the way in and ground smooth.

[​IMG]

With that out of the way it was time to tackle the quarter. It was pretty bad itself , but the inside needed some help also. The inner bed rail and some other spots needed some love.

[​IMG]

The bed rail had lots of epoxy and glass packed over top of an alumium plate.

[​IMG]

Gas tank area

[​IMG]

Behind inner quarter support

[​IMG]

Here you can see the piece I removed and the bed rail patch welded in. I used 16g sheet and broke the inner lip on a tenn smith brake to be the same as the piece I was replacing and welded it the entire legth of the rail.

[​IMG]

Patch welded in behind the support. Also welded the support back down to stiffen things up a bit.

[​IMG]

To get the quarter spotted back to the endcap like factory the end cap has to be removed.

[​IMG]

Clamped in place and held where I was happy with the lines. You can also see the back side of the quarter is undercoated.

[​IMG]

All tacked into place.

[​IMG]

Hung to check for fit. I still have to pull it off again to treat the rust and spray some undercoating. Also still need to pull the gas tank and weld in some sheet metal around the the lower inner quarter/gas tank area. Last pic for now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  7. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

Awesome work! I love all the pics. Thanks for sharing.

8. Mtownscout

Mtownscout Guest

Looks good man!! Good Work! I like what i'm seeing! :punk: It's really cool to see the work progressing!

9. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Looking good Levi, my only question is why this thread is in the triple diamond forum? Or is that the tease here?:yes:

10. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Thanks for the props guys glad you are digging it.

Mark I started the thread here cause Eric the owner is a member of the triple diamond four wheelers so I thought I would keep his build thread here. :beer:

11. Mark B 70SR2

Darn, so no triple D engine swap?:oops: Carry on:punk:

12. Mtownscout

Mtownscout Guest

I think she will do just fine w the 304 and besides this build list just keeps growing lol Don't fix what ain't broke right? lol :stupid:

13. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Lots-o-pics!! hope nobody is still on dial-up.:stuart: got some more work in the rust repair department, suspension parts delivered, and front axle out of the rig.

More spray foam hiding under the driver rocker

[​IMG]

Inside cleaned up and undercoated

[​IMG]

Rocker fitted up. There is still some more spots to be patched up around the rocker in the door jamb, but you get the idea

[​IMG]

Pas. side tank removed and some of the patching started.

[​IMG]

Top side of pas. side inner quarter sprayed with rust neutralizer and undercoated.

[​IMG]

Keeping progress going and until i get some more sheet metal to continue with rust repair we got started on beefing up the front of the frame. We replaced the factory front section with a piece of 3x4 3/16 rec. tubing. I dont like how the factory piece just goes from iside of rail to inside of rail so the new one will go all the way through to the outside edge of the frame rail.

[​IMG]

New cross member and fitment of the core support bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boxed and tied back to the frame using 3/16 flat plate. Wrapped around front for added beef. It ain't gonna move:D After the awesome lift is removed from the under side the bottom of the side will be brought up and tied into the rectangular tubing also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gratuitous weld shot

[​IMG]

Old gussets removed cleaned up and some speed holes added to help with washing out debris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the front end out of the way it was time to work on the ghetto lift Erics PO had hooked him up with.

[​IMG]

Here you can see they dropped the shackles with some u channel, then wrapped it with some nylon rope for that ghetto fresh look.

[​IMG]

With them cut off I have a custom, lift for sale...... I may put em on ebay or Pm me if you want em :D You'll have to source your own rope though.

[​IMG]

Part stash complete with IH specific knuckles from parts mike for the high steer conversion. The knuckles have the 8 bolt holes for the spindles and save you from haveing to drill you factory ones. New ball joints,ford shock towers, and everything we need for the SOA on the scout II axles we got

[​IMG]

Got a few more pics to post , but gotta run for now.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

looks good, i like the rope on the brackets, think it was for added strength! :yes:

-Jon

15. Mark B 70SR2

Arghh matey:sailor:

16. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Had a crazy week , but managed to eek out some progress. With the ugly drop shackle setup off. I turned to cleaning up the frame and removing any unneeded bracketry. If you have never stripped the bracket and cleaned up a frame it takes removing all of this

[​IMG]

to look like this

[​IMG]

Any of you guys who are firmiliar with 800's you know how the front frame rail has a funky little bump in the bottom of it. Since we added a beefy front crossmember that needed to be taken out so it could all be welded solid to the crossmember and make way for the new inner fang of of the RS setup. Pretty simple, just add a relief cut and knock it up tight against the rectangular tubing and you have a nice flat bottom. The relief cut was then welded up and also all around the bottom of the factory frame making it all tied to the new cross member.

[​IMG]

With that out of the way we started on the fangs. These are DandC style RS fangs. They just have a little more hieght on the outer plate for more weld are. No real pics of the how they went together just them all finished up. All the welds were ground flat with a 80 grit flapper wheel to give the front frame and fangs a super smooth look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now

17. Mtownscout

Mtownscout Guest

Looks good man! Can't wait till its finished! No rush lol :beer:

18. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Lovin' it Levi. Glad to see there is a good guy I can keep sending work to on the East Coast. Keepin my eye on this one.

Oh, where did you get that rear quarter? I could use one for my next buggy ~ do they have front fenders too?

19. Mtownscout

Mtownscout Guest

I got the quarter from Brendon barnes at barnes ih in pa he may have some more not sure what shape they are in. Thanx for sending me Levi's way bud super cool guy and love the work so far. Cant wait to see it done.

20. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

I'm just building my next Scout in my head. Saw the 800 fenders and I'll need some skins eventually. So its good to know where to get decent stuff.

Absolutely no problem. I've always been super impressed with Levi's work ~ he definitely earns the respect. Honestly, there is no other IH builder that I refer to.