Project freebie!

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Justutt67, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Thought i would start a post on my 1980 Scout II build. I call it Project Freebie cause my good buddy Chris suprised me one day and gave me this Scout. What a great friend. My plans for the scout are to get the body sound first. Then swap in a TBI 350/NV4500/Jeep Dana 300 combo from a 1993 chevy 3/4 ton truck. (I know guys sorry not staying INT on this one!) this is my 5th Scout II and the four previous ones were all stock powertrains. Then I want to to a SOA w/cut and turn, Hi steer, reverse shackle, and 33-35 in tires.

This is what I started with 1980 304/T-19/d300 and some rust to complete the package.
    1980 scout 1.JPG
    1980 scout 2.JPG

Front cab mounts were completely shot this is the RT side LT side is the same. doing the right side first.
    1980 scout 3.JPG
    1980 scout 4.JPG
    First things first i bought 2 rust free doors and fenders from Coonrod's here in CO. I mounted the door and jacked up the A-pillar till the door sag was gone. i put 2 jack stands under the rockers to keep it square and built some cross bracing to hold it there. I welded the bracing to the pinch welds instead of the door jamb area so that i can still test fit the doors with the bracing in place. its 44" from pinch weld to pinch weld. To test my work i took it off the jack stands and mounted the door again and it fit perfect woohoo!
    1980 scout 5.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

I forgot to mention I also bought some new poly body bushings and installed those first. This scout has had both outer rockers and a LT rear 1/4 panel replaced before. for some reason the left door opening is 1/4 narrower than the right side and the door gaps sucked. not sure what the guy did during the repair to screw that up but i plan to remedy that when i get to the LT side. Thats why i started with the right side. It is still factory spec. This Scout needs outer rockers, inner rockers, 3 out of the four dog legs, front floor cross braces, cab wedges, and front and rear floors. Not too bad huh? I cut everything out today and am waiting on full length rockers from SSS. I bought cab wedges from IH only north i made my own front and rear floors, inner rockers, and floor braces.
    1980 scout 6.JPG
    1980 scout 7.JPG
    1980 scout 8.JPG
    1980 scout 9.JPG
    1980 scout 9a.JPG
    1980 scout 9b.JPG
    This is what i'm using for the inner rocker it is 14ga i had it bent up at a local sheet metal shop it is 1"x 3 1/2"x 1" and is 63" long (hopefully will never rust again its beefy!)
    1980 scout 10.JPG

This is what i'm using for the front most and rear most floor braces. It is 3"x 1" square tubing. Should never rust again in my lifetime. The center 2 are gonna be 1"x1" 16ga square tubing.
    1980 scout 11.JPG

This is where i'm at as of now until i get the full length rockers. Should be here next week. I will keep posting progress.

3. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I redid a Scout II using the same 3"x1" rectangular tube that you have for the body mount under your feet. I wasn't impressed with the factory IH setup, and like you, I thought the rectangular tube would hold up well (so far it has, I don't have the Scout but I saw it ten years later and it's still way solid). I know you already have front cab mounts ordered, but something to keep in mind for the next Scout project.

4. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Yeah that's my plan. It probably wasn't real clear what I was doing after reading my post. I plan to use the 3x1 in place of the factory front floor brace that welds on top of the cab mount wedges. I am still gonna weld the cab mount wedges to the inner rocker and to the bottom of the 3x1 box steel. I will post pics when I do it so it makes more sense.

5. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Gotcha, that will make for a hell for stout body mount. I didn't even use the wedges, I just went with the tubing notched to clear the top rail of the inner rocker and welded it to the inner rocker all the way around. One of the main issues with the stock style mounts are the gaps that let mud and water and salt spray in between the inner rocker and the body mount, this way it was basically a sealed unit. I also hit the tubing inside and out with a sand blaster after I sized it and drilled it for the body mount bolt, and gave it a couple of good coats of weld through zinc which no doubt helped keep it solid.

Alpine likes this.
  6. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Good idea to weld it solid to keep out debris and moisture. What do you mean notched to clear the top rail of inner rocker? Mine was so rusted and gone it was hard to tell. Does it sit slightly above the inner rocker? Looks like I can weld up the wedge solid too to seal it.

7. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Well i got my full length rockers from SSS a couple days ago (they accidentally sent me 2 for the LT side) no problem though they can work on either side. After reading through hundreds of posts it sounded like the recommended way to do them is to pre weld the inners to the outers before install so thats what I did. I am an Autobody Technician at a local shop here in denver and we just bought a fancy new $25,000 spot welding machine. So I brought them to work today to weld them up. I sprayed the insides with a self etching primer and sprayed the surfaces to be welded with a weld through primer before welding them. I plan to use a wax wand to either coat them with cavity wax or some POR 15 later on. Here is where its at for now!
    1980 scout 12.JPG
    1980 scout 13.JPG
    1980 scout 14.JPG

This is my first test fit. Gonna cut the floor braces tomorrow for final fit and then its weld away!
    1980 scout 15.JPG
    1980 scout 16.JPG

Crashwelder and Mx-5 Scout like this.
  8. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Well "freebie" is getting there slow and steady. Finished up patching a few more random rust spots that had to be done before the RT front floor could go in.
    1980 scout 17.JPG
    1980 scout 18.JPG
    Had to rebuild the lower part of the lower kick panel. Still need to cut the contour of the front dog leg area.
    1980 scout 19.JPG
    1980 scout 20.JPG
    I notched the floor braces to fit better under the inner rocker lip.
    1980 scout 21.JPG
    1980 scout 22.JPG
    Here is my new front cab mount was gonna use the wedge along with it but dont really need it.
    1980 scout 23.JPG
    1980 scout 24.JPG
    Here is all 4 floor braces tacked in just need final weld.
    1980 scout 25.JPG

More to come!

Crashwelder likes this.
  9. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Great pictures and should be a great help to others. I'll be tuned in on this one!

10. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Thanks buddy should have the floor welded in by the end of the weekend. On a side note since I won't be using my cab mount wedges that I bought from IH only north and will be selling them. If someone needs them let me know.

11. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Well it's been a while since my last post. I started a big landscape project this summer which took over my garage. I came to a realization that I was gonna have to to a frame off to get the results I want. Some of the rust can't be fixed on the frame and I plan to raptor line the bottom when done. Soooo I found a 73' body tub for $150 and bought it. It has rust but not as much as my 80' tub. Gonna fix this tub and do a swap then finish fixing the other tub and sell it or build another one. Here is where I'm at with the new tub.
    1980 scout 26.JPG
    1980 scout 27.JPG
    1980 scout 28.JPG

12. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

I am planning on doing diamond plate on the front left and right floors and in the bed and then raptor lining the inside of the tub also. More pics to come!

13. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Got the driver side floor pieces cut and fit into place. Still gotta do the body mount under the floor so haven't welded it in yet. Still gonna use 1X3" box steel for the body mount. I made it in 2 pieces cause it is too tough to bend in a break or at least a break I have access to. I will weld the seam up solid during final install.
    1980 scout 29.JPG
    1980 scout 30.JPG
    1980 scout 31.JPG

14. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Excellent fit-up! :beer:
    that will be nice and solid. Also makes the welding go easier when at least one piece is thick clean steel.

15. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Thanks Scott! Yeah I'm trying to make sure it won't rust out again in my lifetime. Definitely easier to weld on good metal. When I bought this other tub the PO had put a bunch of patch panels in but he didn't cut out the rust he just covered it up. Drives me nuts! Luckily he was not a very good welder and most of it popped loose with just the air chisel.

16. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Oh man, I know exactly where you are coming from. The tub on my Scout was patched the same way. The original metal is rusting away from the patches. Whenever a door is closed, or bump is crossed it leaves a trail of rust, as if it were an I.H. Seeding machine. :laugh:
    You are doing some great & very worthwhile work! :beer:

Scott

17. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Got the LT front body mount/ floor support cut and welded in tonight. Welded it all the way around solid so no debris gets inside of it. The floor fits it perfectly so I was happy about that. I will weld it in after I repair the center body mounts.ordered a bunch of body stuff from SSS and it will be here in 3 days.
    1980 scout 32.JPG
    1980 scout 33.JPG
    This is one of the poor repairs the PO did to this tub. When I got it there was a piece of angle covering the all the holes he made at the kick up area in front of the bed. Didn't cut out any rust just covered it up. The piece attached to the center body mount is also coated with some sort of epoxy or something.
    1980 scout 34.JPG
    1980 scout 35.JPG

18. Daferg

Daferg Farmall Cub

Pics not showing up. Is it just me??:cornfused:

19. fesser

fesser Farmall Cub

I don't see them either.

20. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Sorry guys pics are back up! I didn't realize before but I had the photos in the wrong folder in photobucket. Also didn't realize when I move them in photobucket it erases them here.