Project Flashback

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

This one is a fairly simple project. Dad had Scouts before...one 800 back in the 60's, and a '72 that we rolled off road when I was two, then the 1980 Diesel that I still have. Well, he wanted a plow truck, and a weekend mountain trail riding toy...so we found a '77 that fit the bill. It needs some work, but not a great deal, to be a nice Scout. With a little talkin' to, and a little labor rate deal...we got to work. It's a spare-time thing, but we'll get it going before too long.

We got it in, pulled the sheetmetal off, interior out, etc, and got to work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The left floor needed the outside 6" or so replaced, and the inner and outer rocker panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had doglegs from a parts Scout that were good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we sanded inside it, and sprayed in a Upol Raptor liner.
    [​IMG]

I built a seat box.
    [​IMG]

It allows a 1994 Firebird seat to bolt in where the stock one came from.
    [​IMG]

It got new quarters and caps before all the interior work, by the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the other seat box is in, I'll make door panels up for it, and put it together for paint. It's going to be a dark green, with a black and tan stripe to tie in the interior. This is the stripe design we're leaning toward right now:
    [​IMG]

It's not a real crazy project like some of our others, but it will turn out to be a really nice lookin' truck, on a reasonably tight budget. New paint, liner, half the interior, etc will all be new, but it will still be ME painting it, so chances of it being real nice are slim...so it can still be used and not worry too much about a scratch or a ding here or there.:rockon:

2. Mike Moore

Not much to see here, but I figured I'd update it. This thing has been started up and moved a few times since this thread was started. Thats about it. I would like to get it done before Nationals, but there are two customer trucks that need to be done by then, and my trail Scout would be nice to have finished, too.:no: Seriously, though...all it needs it two fenders, a door and a tailgate's worth of bodywork, then paint. Not a big deal, but still a big deal.:oops:

3. Mike Moore

Wow, what a late update. I have been keeping Facebook better updated than here:oops:
    At any rate, this Scout has been worked on a fair amount since the previous post. We ended up getting it ready for paint, and I sprayed it with Nason Urethane Enamel paint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did another Raptor bedliner kit in the back, and tossed a horse stall mat from TSC back there for extra protection (not shown).
    [​IMG]

The wheels got a good goin' over with some Busch polish.
    [​IMG]

Then I striped it with a simple design, that I felt like looked like a 1970's IH thing, even though it really isn't an OEM stripe. I also had the beautiful brunette chick that works at (or RUNS?) Scoutco make me some color matched, customized smaller scale 1980 style "Scout II" emblem decals for it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had Randy at GRC make up a set of killer looking bumpers for it, and they were sprayed with industrial Imron from DuPont, and installed with a set of old school KC style lights.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few hundred miles were put on it, and the bed was used for hauling all sorts of good stuff, I went ahead and cleaned the undercarriage really well, and sprayed it with some cheapo black from Tractor Supply.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as of this past weekend, I am getting it ready for a little love under the hood. I am in the process of stripping all the wiring, brake booster, radiator, hoses, belts, accessories, etc, so I can clean it well, and paint the engine, firewall, inner fenders, etc. I don't want to spend too much money under here, but I want it to look like we did.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, overall...this is a project to show what can be done on a shoestring budget. Not really what I SHOULD be doing as a Scout restoration shop owner...but it does show that if YOU can do the work, and find a decent deal to begin with, this type of result is what can be had. It's not perfect by any stretch, but I'm proud of it for the investment that was made. We bought the Scout right here from the BP classifieds a few years ago, and keeping all the receipts for the parts...NOT counting labor, this Scout has been built to this point for under $3500. I donated the wheels and tires, seats, black undercarriage paint, and a few other smaller items along the way, but most of it (especially the larger items) was bought at whatever the going rate is for the parts. It is a really great looking Scout, and I hope it lasts for a long time, if we can keep the salt off of it in the winter...it is, after all, a plow truck.:punk:

PS-I had LOTS of help on this one...
    [​IMG]

And as usual, it has been in good company here at Scoutco the whole time, too.
    [​IMG]

4. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

This project has turned into a nice driver duty Scout. I always like to see what is hiding in the background of your pics. :D

5. CoopVA

CoopVA Binder Driver

Very nice! I may have to take a road trip and pay you a visit!

6. Mike Moore

:yes:

Come on down! You may give us a call first...just to make sure we make the place semi-presentable. Sometimes we need a little heads-up, lol

7. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

That is some great work!

What's that lurking in the corner...

JJ in TN

8. Mike Moore

Ratty...:)

9. justplainscott

justplainscott Farmall Cub

Don't let him fool you. The place is always presentable. And the work is always great.

10. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

You are living the dream my friend......living the dream

11. Mike Moore

Y'all know what a "finished" Scout looks like?
    Me, neither. This one is getting to be about as finished as I am willing to get it, though. I finished the underhood area the other week, and it honestly looks really good. I ran the buffer on the wheels today, and I broke down and put a set of tires on it. The ones that were on it were 3/4 of the way good...but the other 1/4 was the square left rear tire. There are a few guys here on the BP that have driven it or ridden in it, and they will surely vouch for the fact that it was rough and loud...and needed to be fixed prior to many miles being put on it. Long story short, the thing is like a completely different Scout now!:rockon: Here are a few more pictures, because we all love pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as we all know...it ALL about the details, baby!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the new, sissy, girlie tires:
    [​IMG]