Project- Esther; a '67 800

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by BigRigg, Nov 3, 2016.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Some of you many have seen this scout already, cuz I posted up in tech talk when I bought it. But, I thought that I would take a minute and start a build thread on our latest project, Esther. My wife Ashley named it, and "Esther the 800", has a nice ring to it, dontcha think?

This will be a slow project, possible even years in the making (though I hope not).

So the immediate plans are the have this scout ready for the winter. We don't get much snow around these parts,but if we do, i'd like to still get to town.

Here is the scout right after we brought it home:
    20160909_182836.jpg 20160909_182922.jpg

It has pretty much sat in this same spot outside the shop. There are just a few things I have done to it. First off, I cleaned the dirt out of the rear quarters, gave the scout a bath, and cleaned the junk out of the inside. Then I threw a tarp on it! I have started it a few times, and stared at it in admiration a few times, but we need to get to work on it!

As mentioned, I'd like to have this on the road ASAP. There is very little wrong with it, that I am aware of. But what is wrong is pretty big. Mechanically, this scout purrs like a kitten. But it is missing the key in the rear passenger axle, so it's not road worthy.

Things that need attention before the snow flies:

1. No wipers. The manual fuel pump is gone, so I am going to go with an electric conversion.
    2. No blinkers, no radio, no horn. Hopefully this is just a fuse issue, but I need to investigate.
    3. Saddle gas tanks- I have two great saddle tanks, but since this is Ashley's scout, I am going to go with a SII tank in the rear.
    4. Scout II axle swap (from 1978 SII), along with new brakes, and a Ford Bronco disc/drum Master. The '78 gear ratio is 3.54, the ratio in the 800 now is 4.09. So, I think the higher gears will make things easier on the highway.
    5. New spring bushings- since i'm going to have the axles out, now is the time.

From what I can tell, most of the parts are on hand. Hopefully I can get all this done before it's too cold for paint to dry!

Gary Spargo likes this.
  2. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Long Term goals for this scout (in no particular order):
    1. Body work and paint- there is some rot on the driver side rear quarter, and the PO trimmed the fenders. I'll have to weld in some patches, and roll the fenders.
    2. Aftermarket AC
    3. Fuel Injection
    4. Body Bushings
    5. Full interior gut and redo, including carpet, sound deadening, stereo, speakers, etc...
    6. New seals in the side windows, rear window, and windshield.
    7. Possible rewire depending on what I find.
    8. Swap in a Rebuilt 727/D20 combo, so Ashley can drive it.

Basically, this will be a frame off, very similar to project BigRigg. Just without the lift, and big tires. Most of this won't start until after tax season next year... hopefully...

Mater likes this.
  3. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Frame off project........I like those!

4. Top Ramen

Top Ramen Farmall Cub

Beautiful truck

5. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

well...not a whole lot to report here, its been really COLD, and I don't want to go outside. What can I say, I'm a wimpy girly boy:yes:. There are a number of threads on SII axles swapped into 800/80 Scouts. But no matter how hard I searched, I could not find a detailed report of SII axles in an 80/800. Many of the threads have good details, but not enough pictures, others, have dead links for pictures. Hopefully by keeping these pictures on the BP servers, they will be available for years to come. So I am going to document all the steps, start to finish, here. I pulled these from the rusty ole junker about a week ago, and decided to knock off some of the grime...
    SII Front Axle.jpg
    And here is the rear...Ruby, my cat was a faithful helper! I just wish she was stronger!
    SII Rear Axle.jpg SII Rear Axle2.jpg

6. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I hit the greasy area's with oven cleaner. You can get it at the dollar store. Good stuff. After I hit them with that, I pulled out the pressure washer, blasted them, and hit them with cleaner again. I then pulled every muscle in my body dragging them into the shop. Here is the rear after a few minutes with a wire wheel...
    SII Rear Axle cleaner.jpg
    And then a flappy:
    SII Rear Axle cleaner 2.jpg
    The rear is simple. It will get new spring perches, paint, and new brakes.

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

The front is where there is a lot of gray area. There just isn't a lot of pictures...that I could find anyway. So, there are really two methods to the front axle install. First, a person can leave the axle alone and move the spring hangers. The other option is to move the spring perches on the axle. Many folks move the hangers. On the surface, this is probably easier. I decided against this for one reason. I'm not the best welder. I can stick two pieces of steel together, sure. But, I cannot weld upside down. So the difficulty of welding the hangers has nudged me to leave the springs put, and modify the axle.

I should also mention at this point, and probably again in the future...This is a '67 800 with a V8. This is important to note because the steering box is outside the frame, which will come into play with the drag link install. I should also mention that although I am upgrading to disc brakes, I am staying with manual power. I am also sticking with manual steering. We'll see how all that goes, and if I decide in the future to upgrade to power steering/brakes, I'll note it here...

Onto the front end! So, drag that beast into the shop, and get it on some jack stands:
    SII Front Axle on stands.jpg

Here is a close up of the cast spring perch on the passenger side...
    SII Front Axle cast perch stock.jpg

The scout II springs are spaced 31 inches apart. The 800 springs are spaced 33" apart. So we need to move the perches 1" outboard. make your mark:
    SII Front Axle cast perch marked.jpg
    Then drill a hole on your mark. It doesn't have to be deep, but you'll want it to be around 1/2 inch in diameter, and about 3/8 inch deep.

Attached Files:

8. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Next up, you'll need to have some new spring hangers. you'll need 4. I get mine here:
    http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/TruRyde/TRSS300.html

Here is how they look:
    SII Front Axle spring perch.jpg SII Front Axle spring perch 2.jpg
    They are plenty beefy for this build, and the price can't be beat. I should also mention here that these are plenty tough, but this scout will be a driver, and not a toy. The only dirt it will see is the 1/4 mile dirt driveway we have. So, some might say that the options I choose are light weight, and yes we could get more beefy, but this is more than sufficient for this type of build.

9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

now lets get to grinding!:punk:

On the cast perch, we have drilled our hole, but the housing pad needs to be ground down about 1/4 inch, and the edges of the housing need to be rounded off...
    SII Front Axle cast perch ground 1.jpg
    and another view:
    SII Front Axle cast perch ground 2.jpg
    We will also need to cut one leg off the new spring hanger, and open up the seat so it will fit on the cast section. Looking back if a person can get a hanger that fits on a 3.5" tube, it would be easier to mount. These fit a stock D44 3" tube. So here is a picture of the modified perch...
    SII Front Axle new perch 1.jpg
    And a side view:
    SII Front Axle new perch 2.jpg

10. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Next, lets level the perches, and weld them in...
    SII Front Axle new perch 3.jpg
    SII Front Axle new perch 5.jpg
    Here is the housing all cleaned up, and the driver side perch welded in: SII Front Axle cleaned.jpg

That's it for now. The next time I get out in the shop, I will get to the brakes, paint these, and get Esther into the garage...more to come...

Greg Williams likes this.
  11. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Nice work on your axle! :punk:
    The decrease in turning radiius, and the disc brakes make this swap totally worth all the work you are doing.

I've got a Scout-II front axle under tRusti, and am getting ready to pull it down for a rebuild.
    I cheated and just moved the spring hangers.

Looking forward to following along on your build. What an awesome Scout to start with. :)

BigRigg likes this.
  12. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

One comment here, as I have accomplished this same thing on my 1970 800a.

My 800a shipped with the Gemmler steering box on the outside of the frame.

When I moved to power steering, I moved the steering box inside the frame as to not interfere with the tires during full lock turns.

BigRigg likes this.
  13. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Your build is really amazing. I love following it! If you have any suggestions along the way, please post up. Im new into these 800's, so a lot of this is trial and error. Moving spring hangers is probably easier... yeah it is. but I was afraid to weld upside down, so I have to take the long way home. Anyhow, it's coming along...Thanks for checking in!

14. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Thanks Jerry for the heads up! I had a feeling that might happen. One of the big reasons for the move is for the increased turning radius. If im not happy, I'll have to upgrade to a different box for sure. I appreciate you posting up! If you see something I can improve on, please chime in. Super pumped about this 800, but it's really a new experience to me.

15. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Time for another update...As you can see, Esther is in the bay that belongs to the blue beast. I had some nice weather, so I thought " I got this". Dumb. Just Dumb. One thing about arkansas, if you don't like the weather, stick around a few minutes.

Weather was supposed to be nice, so I pulled a freshly sanded truck, which I spent hours on, into the great outdoors. About midnight, it started to rain! Esther was in the shop, and inoperable. Frantically, I cleared a spot in front of the SII so I could get the cab out of the rain. I dried off the rain, and went to bed about 3 am. It sucked. Progress from that night...

Rear is painted up, and roughly stuck in place:
    Rear D44 Install 1.jpg
    another shot:
    Rear D44 Install 2.jpg
    Rear springs were cleaned up, and the bushings were removed...
    Rear D44 springs 1.jpg

New bushings, are in. The balljoint press is the only way to do this. Put down the sawzall, turn off the torch, and go buy one of these at harbor freight for 80 bucks. One of the best investments in sanity I have ever made.
    Here are the bushings, bought them from ebay:
    20161227_180341.jpg
    Here is how the balljoint press works:
    20161227_181034.jpg 20161227_181042.jpg 20161227_181145.jpg

16. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

It's important to note that the bushings in this scout are the type without the shoulder. I am told IH switched to a shouldered bushing at some point. Please check your bushings before placing an order. If you have a shoulder on your bushing, disregard the part number posted.

Here is the rear installed:
    20161224_190129.jpg
    Another angle:
    20161224_190154.jpg
    And yet another angle:
    20161226_143116.jpg

17. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

There are a few important observations. First, the scout Ebrake cable is too long. The stock 800 cable is totally destroyed. So, I am going to end up using the SII cable, with some modifications. I will post up how to do that, once I get there. Second, yes I know the brake lines are hack. I need to remove those, and install new. It's a shame, those lines still have the tags on them from the PO. I'll see if I can salvage them. But remember, I was under pressure to get the blue beast back under cover. So I still have those two things on the to do list...

18. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Time to get into the front of this thing!

First priority: get the blue beast where it belongs. A lot of moving of stuff, a little bit of grunting, crying, cussing, and bleeding, and we have this!
    20161227_125239.jpg
    All three under one roof and out of the weather. Now, I needed to remove that massive bumper. Whoever welded it on there, never wanted it to come off. Wow. It's a good thing I have the plasma cutter...
    10 minutes later, the bumper is off, and we get this thing in the air:
    20161227_135325.jpg 20161227_142223.jpg

19. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I thought about this a little bit and decided to leave the tires on. So, here is how I removed the front end. First remove the ubolts.
    Then the drag link. I thought I was going to have the ball style drag link/pitman arm but to my pleasant surprise, I have the typical tierod end set up!:bananrap:
    20161227_143015.jpg

Next jack up the differential to get the weight off the springs. And remove the bolts in the front shackles. The springs should settle like so:
    20161227_153034.jpg

Next remove the shocks, the brake lines, and roll the front end out. and remove the rear bolts on the springs. You now have a lot of room under there! 20161227_163956.jpg Next line of business was to replace the bushings on the front. Here is one all greased up and installed:
    20161227_180207.jpg
    The springs also have been painted and have new bushings. I almost have the front end totally installed, but I ran into a hiccup on the passengerside casting. More to come about that...

20. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

One question. Do these look like stock 800 springs to you? 20161227_180828.jpg They just seem to have a lot of leaves. Far more than the SII.