Project- Dad's '72 1210, AKA the Blue Beast

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by BigRigg, Nov 3, 2016.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

This is another project i'll be working on. Fortunately for me, a lot of the work has been done to this truck already. Here is how it looked when it showed up on my doorstep:
    72 1210 1.jpg
    As you can see, a bunch of work has been done. There is still a lot to do, though.

This is going to be our farm truck. It won't get driven much, but it will sure be fun!
    Dad was the 2nd owner, and we have had this in the family since 1985. I learned to drive in this. It sat in my parents yard for 16 years, in it's current state! Dad just got burned out. So, I convinced him to give it to me!

It currently has an entirely rebuilt drivetrain. (392, T-19W, NP205) Everything from the radiator back, and even the radiator was recored. Even the rings and pinions are new. All of it has only 7 (yes seven) miles on it. Unfortunately, 16 years of being out in the weather takes it's toll. All the rubber is rotten. The brakes, brake lines, belts, hoses, fuel lines all have to be redone. The tank will have to be emptied, and possibly boiled. Mice made this their home in the cab for the better part of 15 years. I am certain that this truck will need some wiring work, along with a total reupholster and heater/AC duct work. New interior is a must, along with radio and sound dampening.

The springs are way over kill. See that giant bumper on the front? That is for a 20 TON winch. I'm not going to use that winch, so the bumper will be resized. The springs will have a few leaves taken out to help the height, and the ride.

I am going to relocate some gauges that Dad installed, and build a flatbed for it (unless ANYONE has a short bed for sale). This truck came with a 6.5 Ft bed. Paint is also in the near future. I'm Going back with Cosmic Blue.

I'd like to get the brakes done, and the truck painted in the next few months. The rest will have to wait, the truck is in the shop bay that I need to get the 800 into for the winter. There is not much here to do ( I hope), but this will also be a somewhat slow build...

Bussy likes this.
  2. j_burton

j_burton Farmall Cub

Good luck on the build! That pickup has a cool story and its great that you are giving it a new lease on life!

3. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

I am looking forward to your build!

PS I called you back and left a VM.

JJ in TN

4. punjig

punjig Farmall Cub

Very cool truck. Can't wait to see some build post. You need to clone yourself!!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

5. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

no joke! I have way too many irons in the fire. So just to update. This has been a real pain to lower. first get the truck into the shop, and in the air:
    Blue beast in garage.jpg
    I started with removing three of the 9 springs up front:
    Springs removed.jpg
    Once I did this the stock shackles were bound up against the frame. No worries, I have longer Shackles!
    And then this happened...:censored:
    Spring Issue.jpg

So the longer shackles bind too. I ended up blasting out the rivets, and moving the hangers back to the 2wd spot. That worked. So with stock shackles, this is how the truck sits now:
    Blue beast new stance.jpg
    Blue beast new stance 2.jpg

So, all that work amounted to 3" of drop. I think I can live with it. The truck is now totally sanded down, and ready for primer. Once it warms up, I can get to that. In the meantime, I can't really do much to this. I am currently working on plans for a flat bed. But if anyone has a short bed they want to sell, I am in the market. Once I get some weight on the rear, I can work on the rear springs...

6. CazNeck79

CazNeck79 Binder Driver

chriseakin likes this.
  7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

ok, so there is a little progress on this!:clap:

I finally got to a point on project bigrigg, that I was ready to move to the primer stage. Since these are both in the same shop, I figured I'd get primer on both at the same time.
    not a good picture, but I guess it's the only one I shot that night...Prepped and ready to go....
    Prepped 1.jpg
    And finally into some primer! This was really hard to spay. The truck is tall. When I lay color, I'll take the tires off.

BB Primer 1.jpg BB Primer 2.jpg

There is one little spot in the passenger side door that needs a little filler. Once I block sand, I'll decide if I can live with it the way it is, or if I will try to fix the door...It is afterall, just the farm truck...

For anyone reading along, I decided to go with a U-Pol 3-in-1 Primer. This is a nice primer that can be used multiple ways. The first stage primer is a sealer, much like an epoxy.I used a second coat on the truck already, called a surfacer. By adding a little reducer to the mix, I get what's called a surfacer. The surfacer is easier to sand. I'll wet sand that with 800 grit, and then lay the paint. Then I can pull the truck into the yard, and get started on the flat bed...

The U-pol primer can also be used as a high build by not adding any reducer at all. Fortunately, I don't think I will need any at all.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  8. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I got some work done on the blue beast. I sanded the body down with 400 grit. And hit a few low spots...

20170917_183127.jpg

There are just a few more on the front of the hood that I need to hit, but other than that, this body is CLEAN!

I also bought the paint for this project. Im going back with Cosmic Blue.

Also, I neglected to post the products I have been using, so here are those.
    20170917_183035.jpg

Next step, is a sealer coat of primer, and then onto paint! Paint is an Omni Single stage Acrylic Urethane. I really debated using a 2 stage, but for the amount this will be driven, I can't justify the cost...

9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Shop shot!
    20171005_114836.jpg

Finish sanding is done. Paint on Saturday!!!

Bussy and tim vaughan like this.
  10. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Paint tomorrow!!!
    Here is the gun I'll be using...
    20171006_203418.jpg

Super excited!!!

tim vaughan and Bussy like this.
  11. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Well, I'm going to call today a win...
    20171007_182214.jpg 20171007_182151.jpg 20171007_165956.jpg

I got a late start, so I didn't get to the scout. Also, 2 quarts was not quite enough for total coverage on the truck. We laid 4 coats, and am just now getting the coverage I want. Once I cut and buff, I'm afraid there won't be enough material left. So, I'll have to get another quart on Monday. Blue doesn't cover all that well, and the omni enamel is a little thin.

But hey! We've got color! It's a little darker than what came off there, some of that is age and oxidation, but I think that this truck must have been repainted in the early 80s and the p.o. didn't go with the stock color. Back to cosmic blue, like it was when it left the factory!

Bussy and tim vaughan like this.
  12. CWScout

CWScout Farmall Cub

Wow, you've got two going at once?? That's impressive...and that blue is extremely sharp.

13. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment! I have two more waiting in the wings, what am I thinking?! I like the blue too. It has a little metallic in it, but not much. I think it will really look sharp when I finally get it back on the road...when I'm 80! Ha!

14. CWScout

CWScout Farmall Cub

I can't believe how much there's to learn here and how much you seem to know!d... patience might be the hardest part. It seems like it's taking me a long time just to disassemble...

I am jealous of your progress but at the same time I wouldn't trade the process for anything. It's my therapy. I am going to be rebuilding the 345 myself. It's my first ever engine rebuild. Very excited! Again, as always, if you have any pointers with the rebuild or tips on how to make things easier I am always listening.

15. CazNeck79

CazNeck79 Binder Driver

Me like Cosmic Blue Beast!:beer:

16. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I wouldn't be jealous of my progress. I've been working on the scout since 1998, and this truck hasn't driven in the highway since 2000! In 2000, I did the drive train in my scout, and drove it until about 4 years ago. Regarding the motor, have a machine shop boil the block and all the Tin, also have them check the block for cracks, and do a valve job on the heads. Have them turn the crank and press in the cam bearings. Clean everything and clean it again. Get a service manual from binder books, and follow it closely, and take your time. If you do that, you'll be golden.

CazNeck79 likes this.
  17. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Thanks, Caz!

18. CWScout

CWScout Farmall Cub

this is the manual I ordered from anything scout.

Attached Files:

19. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Perfect!

20. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Looking good Josh!