project Blue Rhinoceros

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Arkansas Dave, May 11, 2012.

1. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

thanks! J.J.

AD

2. Arkansas Dave

worked on trying to get the pulley figured out today been on the phone with a few people I think I have it figured out. But to make sure I'm going to call March pulley tomorrow and see what they can tell me. Apparently it's coming a hurricane outside right now but luckily here it's lots of rain and milder wind about 23 mph.

AD

3. Arkansas Dave

Well i think i finally figured the power steering issue out on my own I contacted several places. A few tried to help but didn't answer my overall question and some were disappointing anyway i have a pulley on the way we will see if it fits.

AD

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  4. Arkansas Dave

Well I got my power steering pulley in this afternoon so we will see if I got the right one. If so then I can continue on with the alternator and belts. We will see I guess fingers crossed.

AD

5. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

hoping for a positive outcome!

JJ in TN

6. Arkansas Dave

So far so good J.J. it fits! I got the power steering pump lined out today, the alternator back on and the fuel pump installed I had some other stuff to do so that's all i got done today but I am installing the radiator next getting closer to start up. Here are a couple photos.
    AD
    DSC_0772.JPG DSC_0775.JPG DSC_0786.JPG

J.J. likes this.
  7. Arkansas Dave

I dropped in the radiator yesterday and got the top hose finagled on that bottom one is right by the power steering pulley. I have a 90 im going to try on it I decided that I am for sure going to get an aluminum radiator that will fit the hoses better but I'll run this one for now to get it moving.

AD

8. Arkansas Dave

Got the bottom outlet fitting fanaggled onto the radiator today and made another piece that hooks onto that and then makes another 90 back towards the passenger side, then I located a piece of my galvanized pipe that will go over to the other side then I will turn it up and back to the water pump. I power washed most of my pole barn yesterday, detailed on one of my trucks I am working on, helped my son mow and trim the yard, washed the atv and 2 lawnmowers so I didn't get to work on the scout any. But today I installed a primary drive belt on a lawn mower, finished powerwashing the barn and worked on the Scout. Tomorrow I am rotating tires and installing new lugs on the sons truck then working some more on the Scout and trouble shooting some electrical issue with one of my other trucks. Hopefully the Scout will be ready to fire off soon. more to come

AD

9. Arkansas Dave

I got the crossover pipe built today and the other 90's in place everything is connected back over to the water pump. So on to the electrical wiring for the ignition, starter and etc... also got the electrical issue sorted out on the other truck. more to come

AD

10. Arkansas Dave

I got the starter wired up today, routed the alternator wires over but discovered the alternator wouldn't work once I noticed the plug was wrong it was a new external regulator type I had. So I will clean up the old one that actually was not very old and is a lifetime warranty alternator once I checked into it. So I will clean it and reinstall it. I have to put a battery on and determine which wire was my old coil power wire. I did decide to put in a new radiator to line up the hoses better so I have to get that figured out I think the Ramcharger style is going to work good or the Eastwood 3 pass with an external trans cooler. I also got my other truck fired up today now I have to clean the fuel tank and add some new fuel. More to come

AD

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  11. J.J.

you are getting so close to the startup club!

JJ in TN

12. Arkansas Dave

Yep really close I have to get some ATF and a filter, some oil for the transfer and I may go ahead and order the radiator so I don't loose ATF hooking it up later.
    AD

13. Arkansas Dave

Worked on the Alternator today it was fairly new but the dirt daubers had built several mud condos inside it so I had to take it apart and clean it out. I am going to shine it up a bit and then swap it out with the other one. Also rotated some tires today on one of the trucks and worked on another atv. more to come

AD

14. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Dang dirt daubers!!! Glad I don't have those pesky bugs by me.

15. J.J.

Those things will find their way into anything! Seems like they are attracted to holes. I had a situation out here a month ago with some super aggressive bumble bees that had built a nest inside the frame rail of one of the parts trucks. After I got stung several times by just walking by and I had someone else out here get stung in the face it was time for them to die. It was like a cartoon, you cold hear them buzzing loudly and swarming. I had no choice, it took two cans of the wasp spray in the frame rail hole on the passenger side to knock them down, back to hell demons.
    JJ in TN

16. Arkansas Dave

Well I got it took apart cleaned and back together so it is ready to go on now here are some before and after pics:

DSC_0852.JPG DSC_0858.JPG DSC_0857.JPG DSC_0860.JPG DSC_0869.JPG

MrKenmore and Perdido like this.
  17. Arkansas Dave

Well i just got the transmission fluid ordered tonight it's supposed to be here Saturday. I found my transfer case fluid at NAPA I have to got pick it up they have Napa GL-1 90w mineral like the service manual calls for with no EP additives so I'll go with that otherwise I was going to use the Valvoline 50w racing oil. More to come

AD

18. Arkansas Dave

It's been a busy weekend I got the alternators swapped but it wouldn't line back up so I had to go back to town to find some bolts to go in the second hole on the header bracket. They didn't work of coarse so I took a nut and buzzed off the corners and that worked on a stud I made to fit the hole. It is rock solid but if that changes I will tack it to the header flange. So the new problem is once I got the belt on it is way to tight which will eventually wear the bearings out in the alternator so I am going to go find a longer belt. Even though these cases are the same size pulling the bracket down tight with the rear nut I think torqued the belt tighter than before. Got the transmission fluid in through the mail Saturday and also I have been working on my other truck at the same time. Not something I normally would do but I am trying to get more room to work indoors before winter and I had my truck in my pole barn so it needed driving anyway so I am getting it running so I can move it in and out so I can set this area up to work indoors along with my other garage at the house. Anyway it started on a squirt of gas but the carter fuel pump is done it sat to long so i ordered a new one today. i am getting closer, pretty much have to hook up the power steering after picking up some hose, replace the alternator belt, hook up the distributor wires, fix the alternator plug that broke, install the carb, put in transmission fluid, put in transfer case fluid, put in coolant, hook the fuel pump to the carb, install a temp fuel tank, put in a battery, hook up a couple grounds and should be ready to light up. more to come

AD

19. J.J.

Dave you are nearly there, a good solid day of work and it will be able to move under its own power.

JJ in TN

20. Arkansas Dave

Yep it's getting close I had posted a day or so ago but for some reason it didn't post so anyway don't know. I did get the power steering all buttoned up and filled, no leaks so far fingers crossed. and the alternator has a belt and is wired up so on to the fuel pump hose and carburetor. I have to mount the carb and hook up the hoses, install the temporary tank, power the distributor and pour in some fluids but the wifey said to go ahead and order the new radiator first so I don't have to do that all over again and waste coolant and trans fluid so I better do what she said and order that new radiator:tractor: more to come

AD