Project BigRigg

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by BigRigg, Mar 24, 2014.

1. 76-scout-MATT

76-scout-MATT High Wheeler

agreed and doing it right will pay ten fold down the road ... my roommate used to bug me about when will you start doing stuff that is shiny ..... you are getting closer to start putting things back on ... it is an exciting and very gratifying part of the project ... little jealous ... Matt

2. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Mater and Matt, Thanks! I am really happy with the way it turned out.
    Today I pulled the t-19 from the rusty ole junker scout. It's narrow.:no:

So before I go though all the trouble of putting the tub back on the frame, I am in the search for a t-19 wide to install. :helpsmilie:
    I suppose there are a few things I can do to the tub in the meantime. I guess peel and seal and interior wiring is up next...Yay.

CoopVA likes this.
  3. 76-scout-MATT

76-scout-MATT High Wheeler

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

5. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

6. Testerdahl

Testerdahl Farmall Cub

Subscribing to this thread since our trucks are so similar.

Where did you get the glass for the windshield and back window? My windshield is pretty cracked up.

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

My glass is stock, but you can get front and back glass at any glass shop. It's just flat glass, easy for a glass shop worth their weight. Seals are available at any light line dealer.

Mater t19 wide has a 6.32 to 1 first gear. The narrow has a 4 to 1 first. That's the biggest difference. Low granny gear. The wide also has a lower 2nd gear, making 2nd gear easier to take off from. Since 1st is so low it's not used much on the street, but sure comes in handy on the trail.

8. Josey

Josey Farmall Cub

What little driving I got to do on my T19W before my lifters went agrees with that. 1st was for climbing trees, you could take off in 2nd on gentle hills or anywhere if you dumped the clutch, basically a 3 speed with a low rather than an overdrive. That's all with 33's and 3.07 gears. Ordered new lifters today!

9. Josey

Josey Farmall Cub

Not sure whats in grandpa's old scout.

10. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Josey if this t19n somehow finds its way into you scout...and your wide somehow jumps out, I swear it wasn't me!:innocent::shifty::whistling:
    Glad you got those lifters ordered. There's a spot in the shop when your ready. We've just gotta move the rusty Ole junker out of the way to get to your terra!

11. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Only one way to find out...bring it over and we can cut it out with the plasma! You did say that body is trashed right???

12. Josey

Josey Farmall Cub

Yeah the body is toast one corner is made out of wood, catalpa I believe.

13. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

BigRigg, You have made alot of progress that thing is looking good!

Arkansas Dave

14. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Thanks dave. Not much to report here, unfortunately. I thought that I could peel and seal, and then wire, but I need to paint the dash before I can wire up the dash. I'm about done with the peel and seal, but I don't have paint for the dash, and dont want to set the body on the frame until I find and install a t19 wide. I have a line on one, but I have to save up. Wide t19's are pricey.... in the meantime, I have been chasing gremlins in the blue scout. Nss went out, and then the " might as well" thinking set in...and we all know how slippery that slope is...

15. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Tax season covered me up for a while, but back to the build!
    Lets see here...
    I was able to trade my t-19 N for a t-19W. Out came the T-18 and D20, and in went the t-19 wide:
    20160410_1431491.jpg
    The D300 came next, along with some paint:
    20160425_1941001.jpg

Then it was finally time to get the tub back on the frame, and the tires back on the axles!:clap:
    20160503_1706011.jpg 20160503_1706531.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  16. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Wiring has been the thrust of most of my work lately...
    20160512_1615231.jpg
    I started with the wiring to the rear of the scout...
    I decided to run the wires down the tub on the driverside. I am trying to keep the wiring as orderly as possible. I am a little worried about clutter inside the engine compartment, especially with the EFI going in.
    Here are some pictures of how I routed the rear harness:
    20160512_2102031.jpg 20160512_2102531.jpg 20160512_2104001.jpg

Not the best pics, I know, but hey, progress nonetheless...

17. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Here is how the dash wiring currently looks...
    20160512_2104551.jpg
    and the EFI wiring...
    20160512_2105211.jpg

I need to figure out a paint color so I can spray the dash. Im really having a hard time deciding. For the longest time I wanted to paint this Windveil Blue, like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But now I am thinking a copper color might look good as well. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

But I have also wanted to do a monstaliner exterior. I know that seems odd, but I really like the way it looks!

[​IMG]:ban:
    [​IMG]

My wife seems to think that I will tire of the liner exterior. And part of me likes the idea of looking out over a shiney hood. Part of me is scared that if I don't like the liner, Ill have a helluva time getting it off. But I think its different, and I do like the way it looks...today anyway! :whistling: Any thoughts?

18. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

Great job, Josh! I think I'd paint the dash with the liner and paint the exterior all bright and shiny (wouldn't be hard to change the dash back or find another one if you don't like the one that's got liner on it)! Also, you could use liner up to the first body line and then paint the top half bright and shiny? I've paint my 800 dash shiny black, but painted my gage plate with that hammered tone black and I really like how it turned out. I'll try and get a picture.

19. supermerle

supermerle Binder Driver

dash.jpg dash.jpg here's a picture.

20. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Thanks Supermerle! Your dash turned out great!

I have thought about just buying a quart of monstaliner,and using the dash as a test piece. I have another dash, so if I don't like it, I can use the other dash.

In my original post on this build, I mentioned this would be a mall crawler. But as time goes on, and the build evolves (t-19W, D300), I can still see the scout cruising some trails. The monstaliner would hold up so much better to tree branches and such. And because it can be tinted, I can go with whatever color I decide. If I paint it all shiney, then I'll be more hesitant to take it on the trail. But paint is much more traditional, and there are not many really clean scouts left. So I really am on the fence. I know it's my scout, and I should do what I wish. I just dont if I want to be "that guy" who took a nice scout, and slathered a bedliner all over it.

In reality, I know I should find a motor for Rusty ole junker, and move this tranny/tcase over to that scout and use it as a platform for a trail rig. Time, projects and money all prevent me from making that happen.

Im trying to make an all around nice/capable rig, but the fact is; thats really hard for me to do. :drown: