Project BigRigg

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by BigRigg, Mar 24, 2014.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

In 1998 I bought this scout(1972 w 345, t-18). It was my first ride. Ever since then it has been my goal to get this thing finished. In 2000, I rebuilt the entire drivetrain. In the past 10 years, I have driven this scout maybe 10K miles.:no: (sad, I know) The time has finally come to finish the scout! Today, I sold my Nissan frontier to fund this project.:rockon:

What will this involve?

New wiring/gauges/stereo
    New HiSteer
    A/C
    Fuel Injection
    Hydroboost
    Rust Repair
    Bumpers
    Paint
    exhaust
    Carpet:eek:

Possibly reverse shackle

A few other odds and ends.

This scout will be a weekend driver. No more off roading for this guy. This will be a mall crawler!:bananrap:

Here are some pics to get started (as it stands now)...More on the way tomorrow...stay tuned.
    Scout1.jpg scout2.jpg scout3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Well...this project is proving difficult during tax season (I am an accountant). On top of that, we have had a number of rainy days, so there hasn't been a whole lot of time to get out there and wrench. Saturday I was able to get out and tear out the interior and remove the bumpers.

Once the interior was out, I was able to see just how bad the rust was, and it isn't too bad.
    20140329_145305.jpg 20140329_145305.jpg 20140329_145317.jpg 20140329_145327.jpg 20140329_145916.jpg 20140329_145957.jpg

used some of this stuff to prep some rust (got it at Tractor Supply). Good Stuff.

20140329_151037.jpg

it looks like I will have to replace part of the floor on the driverside. I'll also have to replace the body mount on driver side and passenger side. I'll have to patch the corners in front of the "step" up to the back seat, and I'll have to patch the dog leg on the driver side. I'll also need new rockers.:no: Passenger side floor looks good tho':rockon:

Not looking forward to it, but not nearly as bad as some of the projects here.

3. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Sounds like you have a plan BiggRigg I have been working on mine too, I bought mine also in 98 and it has been parked since 05' sad deal but not much longer so hang in there and let's get these things back on the road.

Arkansas Dave

4. binderbart

binderbart High Wheeler

That looks very similiar to the OSPHO I've been using, color is even the same. Probably is just different labeling. I like the results with mine. Looks like an interesting build

patman52 likes this.
  5. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Not much to report. WE have had T-storms here all day, and tax season has me workin' like a dawg!:yes:

Got a package today tho':rockon:...

EZWiring.jpg EZWiring-1.jpg Paid 220.00 for it shipped to the door. I also got a headlight switch and a hi beam switch. First impressions are great. The kit looks quality, and the price was less than others I checked out. All the wires are labeled. I am stoked...for now. I HATE wiring, I am sure in due time, I will be throwing things and yelling all sorts of crazy stuff!

6. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Not much new happening...but I did get this today:
    20140404_142835-1.jpg

Jeff at IHPA sent me new gauges, a new throttle cable, new body bushings, and a new gauge plate. A big shout out to those guys!

I also JUST got this, haven't even unwrapped everything! This is a complete hi-steer setup!:rockon:
    20140407_182603.jpg
    PartsMike is awesome!

Can't wait to get out there and get to work:hammer:

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Got in the scout a few days back to drive it to the grocery store, and noticed that I had no brakes! Opened the Master Cyl, and it was bone dry:cornfused:. I looked around and couldn't see and leakage, so I am guessing that a wheel cyl is seeping very slowly. Since I had no brakes, I thought that I would start my hydroboost project...:wrenching:

Far from Bolt on. :censored: It has been interesting. First off, the mounting plate has 6 holes, NONE lined up, so I had to drill 4 more holes in the mounting plate. Now the thing looks like swiss cheese. I am not sure what the guys gave me at the JY, but it is also a much longer unit that it should be. I need 2.5" space from the outside of the firewall to use this HB without cutting the rod and re-welding(I only planned on 1-1.5"). I was hoping to use a stock HB so I could swap it out easy if needed, but since I don't even know what I have, I might as well cut it and move on. A 2.5" spacer is just going to look cheezy. I had to come in for the night cuz we are baby sitting, so this will have to wait for another day.:no:

20140422_174519.jpg 20140422_174625.jpg

8. BrandonBerkosky

BrandonBerkosky Binder Driver

The astro van boosters are basically bolt in with a 2 inch spacer. Then u get the bushings to convert to flare style so u can use stock power steering hoses. U will still have to drill new holes

9. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

A 2" spacer is typical? I thought it was like an inch spacer, possibly 1.5". I knew I needed a spacer of some sort, but I didn't think that it was that thick. Bushings are ordered and should be here any day...

10. customtronic

customtronic Farmall Cub

Looks like a great project. I just bought that same wire harness kit and will be ordering the same dash/gauges in a few weeks. I actually like doing wiring as well as body work. I know....that's crazy talk! Haha

11. BrandonBerkosky

I'll find the exact dimension for u.

12. BrandonBerkosky

In my 77 scout I used a 1 3/4" spacer. I had to check back in the journal. I've seen different scouts have different pedal heights. So that's what works for me.

gwinter1129 likes this.
  13. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I really like the gauges from IH Only. The prices are very competitive, it's all there with no hassles,the dash comes with the indicator lights, and Jeff has always been good to me in the past. :punk:

I also like the EZ wiring loom. It looks top notch, and the price was right! I'll document the install here, hopefully it will help you with your project.:)

14. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Brandon mentioned that his spacer was 1 3/4, so I guess I am not too far out of that. I thought about it a lot, and decided that I wanted to keep the unit stock. Today, I'll shop for spacers.

Another issue is I didn't have the lines from the prop valve to the brakes, so I didn't have the correct fittings for the HB prop valve. I used the Scout prop valve instead. I was able to use one line off the HB Master, and then I cut down one of the scout lines, double flared it, and installed it onto the HB Master.
    20140424_165315.jpg

15. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Life always tends to get in the way...:taz: FINALLY got this Hb system all set up. Wow. :rockon: If you have not made this upgrade, I highly suggest it. This is a very easy install, even if small things crop up. It was totally worth it, and I am ashamed that I didn't add this upgrade years ago. I had to make up 2.5 inches of space between the firewall and the mount of the Hydroboost. I thought about this for a long time, and since I don't know what type of vehicle this unit came off of, I wanted something adjustable. The next unit I get might have a different length rod, and I don't want to have to find another spacer. So I grabbed a few nipples from the plumbing department and a coupler from the electrical department at Lowes. for less than 10 bucks I had my spacer, and it's adjustable. If I need to shrink it down, I'll cut the threads and tighten the coupler. If I need it to be longer, I can add couplers to the nipples, and make the conduit coupler bigger. When it's not so wet outside, I will spray the spacers black. For now, I just like tasting the windshield!:yes: This things stops better than our civic!
    20140513_174648.jpg 20140513_174713.jpg 20140513_174733.jpg 20140513_174856.jpg 20140513_174906.jpg

16. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I also finally got all the sheet metal so I can start with the body work. My buddy has a shop about 20 miles away with a lift and a plasma cutter. So I figure we can make light work of it. While I am up there, here is what I hope to get accomplished:

Inner/Outer Rockers
    Front floors
    Body Mounts
    Parts Mike Hi-Steer
    Reverse Shackle

I hope with both of us on it, I can get it knocked out in a few days...I wont be able to start on it until next week, at the earliest though. All covered up this week...

17. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Unfortunately I am at a stand still. I can't seem to get up to the shop because life gets in the way!:( The next thing that needs to happen are the rockers/floors, but I don't want to cut them out here, since I have access to a plasma cutter, which would make things much easier. However, all this waiting, and I could have had all these cut out by now and replaced...

Since I am just tinkering on the scout in the meantime, I wanted to see why I had to slam the lift gate to get it to close. I tried adjusting everything, but it was still not right. I pulled the liftgate, and here is what I found...
    20140524_184807.jpg 20140524_184832.jpg

Both areas of the gate where the hinges mount are cracked and are pulling away from the gate, causing the gate to droop. I have some 1" stock that is about 3/16 thick. I think that I am going to use some of this to reinforce the top of the gate...

The metal on top of the gate is just thin sheet metal, I am going to use rivets instead of welding the stock. The gate is in otherwise perfect condition...

gwinter1129 likes this.
  18. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Do you have an A/C bracket for your motor? If you have an orginal york bracket you can get the york to Sanden compressor adapter for pretty cheap like $30 online.

If you need an A/C bracket. I might have an A/C bracket for an Scout SV motor. But won't be home till June 12 to see.

19. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I do have the bracket. I thought about doing the Sanden swap, but I am on the fence. Is it really a worthwhile upgrade?

20. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

It's a no brainer! The Sanden is 2/3 the weight of the york. Plus, more efficient and less vibrations. I am swapping my travette over when I get home.

Here is the bracket adapter $39.99
    http://nostalgicac.com/mount-kits-p...ressor-adapter-plate-universal-mount-547.html

They also have decent condenser/drier setups and they have the knock off sandens too.