Project Arizona Fresh Travelette

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by IH64Scout, Nov 27, 2011.

1. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

As many of you know i flew 2700 miles from NEPA to sothern Arizona (SEVEN MILES NORTH OF MEXICO!!!!!) to get a 1971 travelette from Russ McLean. Russ is one of the nicest people i ever met, he practically gave me the truck for only $1000! Well he took great care of it, it made it the 2700 mile trip with only a burnt up ignition coil. Well the pa humidity and rain already turned most of the truck orange due to the chalky paint letting the moisture through it. Well i won't drive it in the winter, so i may as well tear it down and bring her back to her former glory! :D get ready, some pictures may be graphic! :tt2:

Here's some pictures, first time i saw it at Russ's in the garage, his backyard, at the cadillac ranch, and summit racing HQ.

-Jon

Attached Files:

2. IH64Scout

towed numerous scouts, picups, jeeps, broncos, and had it in NJ and NATS in Ohio! here's a picture of it at home and some towing stuff.

Attached Files:

3. IH64Scout

well, now i got it in the garage to start the teardown! :beer: the dash has been...well pretty much chopped beyond repair. i will have an eye open for a dash and good dash pad. just because its AZ fresh doesn't mean it rust free, minor rust holes, much better than if it were in PA! :hammer:

Attached Files:

4. IH64Scout

Some more rust, and someone had put a 40-ish gallon fuel tank in the bed, instead of reaching over the bed they drilled about 100 small holes and punched a hole in the bed for a filler neck, luckily it was clean under the tank. that's it for now, stay tuned! :stuart:

Attached Files:

5. timscout1

timscout1 High Wheeler

That rust in the windshield frame is the same as my travelette had. Mine was caused by a antenna on the roof that leaked into the roof brace and then ran down and around the windshield. Check for an old roof antenna hole. Good luck I love my "Tug" as tim named him.:beer:

6. tdc

tdc Dreams of Cub Cadets

Hi Jon, how did you know it was the ignition coil that burnt up?
    (I have a OT truck that won't start.)
    btw, Very cool Travelette, and such a deal. :beer:

7. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Where those holes are at,remove the plate that covers the fender bolts,then cut the metal under the plate out so you have some acesse to the cowl area ,I do that on all of mine,have not on my new travelette yet though.Iam still driving mine for a few more weeks till it snows,then mine come apart also.
    Jeff

8. IH64Scout

the truck was backfiring like crazy on the highway, ran out of power, the coil was so hot you could not touch it, had to pour water on it to drive a mile or 2.

Jeff they are in the bottom corners of the windshield frame, and the one my finger is in, is on hte top passenger side of the w/s frame. the truck has been inside for about 3 weeks and it was SOAKING wet under the gasket when i pulled it!!! :cornfused: i will be getting ahold of you shortly for some fabric work! :D

9. tdc

tdc Dreams of Cub Cadets

10. IH64Scout

Well dove in good today, with help from my friend brandon and Josh i got the hood off, the dash out, the headliner out, driver doors off, seats out, and seatbelts out. :beer: getting there a little at a time! (would have had more pictures, but the phone died!)

-Jon

Attached Files:

11. IH64Scout

Well i got some more pictures! the interior is almost gutted, the rear glass is out, wiring is out, radiator, grill, and driver fender are off. lots of bagging and labeling. one step closer to some paint.

how's Omaha Orange and Artic White sound? yeah, like my terra. doing the factory style 2 tone. thinking i'm going to go grey/black on the interior also with some light tint on the windows. :D it was a good birthday in the garage with my IH! :beer:

-Jon

Attached Files:

12. sullyscout77

sullyscout77 Binder Driver

Great Progress Jon! I'd sure like to be 24 again and have that "Damn the Torpedos" energy level of yours! Too many guys from your generation never venture far enough from the controllers & joysticks of their computer games to grasp the sense of accomplishment that comes with putting/keeping some real IH metal in working order. :D

13. IH64Scout

thanks sully, being in the garage is like stress therapy for me, if i couldn't turn a wrench i'd lose my mind! :taz:

-Jon

14. IH64Scout

got the pass doors off and the fender. also what was this hole for in the front of the middle of the roof....looks like a light could have been mounted there?? :confused: and there is 2 small brackets and a spring behind the back seat on the driver side what was there????

-Jon

Attached Files:

15. Jeff Jamison

First the hole in the roof brace is there for a light in the travelalls above the rear seat,they used the same cross suport.The spring was the factory jack bracket and hold down.Its funny how clean yor floor is but all the rust around you windsheild frame,I have no rust in my frame,one spot under the windsheild(not close to as bad as yours)my floors have all the original seem sealer falling out,alot of surface rust,and my front floors are pitted and some holes on the seams.
    Jeff

16. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

I am the last in a string of "Previous Owners". In the roof brace picture, the 4 small holes are from an aftermarket ceiling light that I installed.

This truck is going on 41 years old. The first 36 years of its history is unknown.

I found a picture of the line setting ticket on my computer. This truck was shipped to Fisher Motor Co, Tacoma, WA.

About 4 years ago, AZDIESEL found this truck in Phoenix, AZ. Jared said that it appeared to be sitting unused for many years. Jared has many trucks, he did not use it much.

About 2 years ago, I traded a 1966 1000A for this truck, because we needed a bigger truck to tow our small travel trailer. Turns out, a 20+ foot long truck is TOO BIG for the type of traveling we want to do. Now Jon owns the truck

Russ

17. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

Looking good Jon. Now if I can get my 4bbl rebuild kit in hand, and get that rebuilt, I would be starting my thread on my T'ette. Keep it up, yours is in way better shape than mine, but I think mine like yours as Russ indicated sat for a long time with little TLC, so I too will be working on bringing it back to better shape.

Jeff

18. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

Jon said to post the Line Setting Ticket

Attached Files:

19. IH64Scout

jeff that picture is on the front of the cab (by the windshield) in the middle. i'm thinking of making a map/interior light setup when i put the interior back in...

thanks for the info Russ!

-Jon

20. Jeff Jamison

I thought you where talking about the rectangular hole in the support running from front to back.The other hole is for the rearveiw miror that was used in 69 and part of 70,it sat up into there and the sunvisors also clipped into it,had a plastic cover that went over it(very hard to find)was there a hole in the headliner there also.
    Jeff