Pressure Plate Advice

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by oneof3k, Aug 14, 2019.

1. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Purchased a new used pressure plate assembly from Coonrod's yesterday. Exact animal I was looking for, but there is one slight difference between the old and new one, that being the new one has four springs per 120 degrees or finger vs. three springs in the one that came out of the Scout ('65 Scout 80) with the only engine and transmission available at the time. Unknown what it came out of. Not that it matters to my questions, but the reason I bought the new one was that one of the three fingers on the old pressure plate was a bit thin/worn.

Old/existing:

existing pp.jpg

New:

new pp.jpg

Questions: I'm assuming that if I install the new one it will be a bit stiffer? How much stiffer and will this be acceptable in a Scout? Or should I try and take out one of the springs from each "side"? For that matter, do the springs "wear or relax" much over time? Should I have the springs tested for tension or compression or whatever the appropriate force is? I miked the two plates and found that the new one was 5 thousands thicker so all in all, the new one seems to be the better choice.

This is for the "Lil Sh!t", CS #3 so I can try and get it on the road sooner then latter (miss driving a Scout I do).

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Don't mess with it.install it and GO ! As long as there's no bad scratches on it. I'd try an see if you can get a machine shop to touch it up on they're belt sander. Then it would have a new surface on it. Install new disc , throw out bearing & pilot bearing. Yes it will be a bit stiffer. If your young, you'll get used to it.good luck.

3. theloneduck

theloneduck Farmall Cub

Looks like it should have had a 4th spring

4. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Jeff, I might be older then you! Plus, the way life is going, I'm looking at a new left knee next year :flowers:.

I'll admit I'm NOT an expert in IH stuff, but I can say that both pressure plates that were removed from my Scout 80s only had three springs per finger lever. And the full kits that I've seen for purchase (clutch, pressure plate, bearings, etc.) only had three springs per lever (the fourth "hole" was plugged with plastic). Perhaps someone can verify this plz?

5. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Oh, one other question. I was down looking at the plates a while ago and noticed that the original plate is exactly 10" in diameter, were as the new one measures 10-1/8 inches. Clutch discs I have measure right at 10-1/16 inches. I don' think this would be an issue, but?

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Year of '58

7. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

You have me beat for the old fart designation, but only by a few months! Thx for all your advise (and parts too).

jeff campbell likes this.
  8. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Scout 80's are all hydrolic,the peddle shouldn't be much harder,but the linkage is not very strong on them so the forth spring might be alittle to much.

oneof3k likes this.
  9. holyrider

holyrider Farmall Cub

Don't worry about the knee. Just had a new left knee in January and a new 13" clutch in my t'ette The new knee handles it just fine. Wish I had done it years ago instead of hobbling along on the old one.

jeff campbell and oneof3k like this.
  10. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

Looking at these pics make me think about the designations. The one with 3 springs per segment is the HD 9-spring 10-inch clutch #11104 found on the turbo engine. The standard clutch was a 6-spring, #11100 or 11103, two springs per segment used on the NA std. engines. For the 152/196/266 in the 80-800 era, there isn't a 12-spring listed in the catalogs I have, but there were 6 and 9-spring 11" clutches listed for the 266 V8. Anyway, those extra springs will result in a stiffer pedal since you are adding 25 percent more springs. They might be lighter springs or they might be the same springs and the 9 spring unit. The parts book shows different spring part numbers for the 6 vs the 9-spring PPs.

If you want a tough clutch, try the HD clutch in my 826 Farmall. I had to spit the tractor for a slipping clutch, installed the heavy-dutiest one listed and then realized later they usually were used with a hydraulic clutch assist. If ain't gonna slip but there may come a time when I'm not man enough to operate it. I'm older than most of you but still have good knees (good enuf anyway). Been running the Farmall that way for 13 years now. Beginning to regret it now that I am past 65.

11. Robert Kenney

Robert Kenney Binder Driver

When I build my scout 80 engine and other drive system components, it was with the intention to turbo charge it. I added the extra springs to my pressure plate for more clamping force and thus torque handling. It works perfectly. Also there is a specific setup process for a Borg and Beck or similar pressure plate. I would look at the manual and go through it. Just my 2 cents.
    Turbo charging still in the works having recently been revived.