Powerstroke in an IH?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Paul Speakman, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Paul Speakman

Paul Speakman Farmall Cub

As I'm in no position at this point to undertake any restorations, this is a question asked out of pure curiosity, but I wonder about the feasability and advisabilty of putting a modern Powerstroke diesel produced by International Truck and Engine for Ford pickups into an International pickup or Travelall. Is this possible and has anyone done it, and if so, what were the results. I've seen the odd International here and there with Chevy engines, Dodge undercarriages and whatnot, but to me that kind of spoils the purity of the IH while using an engine currently prodced by International somewhat would maintain the purity of the lineage. Any thoughts? Am I off base?

2. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

no reason it wouldn't work,there's plenty of room in them, you'd probably be best to start with a wrecked ford so u can steal all the wiring out of it. i'd love to attempt that swap in the future, kinda have my hands full with the 6.9L swap into my scout right now, the IDI motors are a little easier with mechanical injection, the only wiring you really need to to actuvate the fuel solenoid in the i/p. :D

-Jon

3. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There is a Travelall with 6 doors that comes to our show every year with a 7.3L in it. The install looks factory, as does the 6 door conversion. The 7.3L and the Powerstroke are the same motors externally, so no reason it wouldn't work. Wiring will be a pain in the behind, but go for it. It just takes cash and time

4. rick W.

rick W. Binder Driver

The 7.3 and Powerstroke are completely different engines that just happen to be the same displacement. If you want to put a powerstroke in a IH there's no reason why you could not. Just a matter of how bad you want to do it.

5. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

Getting the ECM to work would be a nightmare! Because of the wiring to the computer!

You might have to have somekind of electronic dash gauges.

6. xyz12383318

xyz12383318 Farmall Cub

I think the IDI 7.3 would be a great choice for a Scout personally. I bought a 94 dually last week for the motor that has only 120k on the odometer. The tranny is out but the truck seems strong. Of course my current project is a 4BT Scout but that old 7.3 would be a straight forward install. Other good choices would be a Cummins 4BT or 6BT. Perhaps one of the most fun ideas would be a Duramax. It is spendy but Banks has a marine crate motor and with the right upgrades, chip, intake etc... A Scout would flat out move down the road with that motor. Plus it is a feather weight compared to some of the other motors and weighs less that an SD33T.

7. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would look at a non electronic engine to avoid a wiring pain in the butt.

A Duramax swap requires a Duramax truck dash www.thedieselpage.com did a Duramax swap into a 1990 Chevy pickup. Jim had to put the Duramax dash in the 1990 truck.

Carey

8. xyz12383318

xyz12383318 Farmall Cub

There is a stand alone computer available for the Duramax currently so the dash is not a requirement. Really any of the motors mentioned would make great swaps. Of course the real tire burning fast motors are limited to the Powerstroke, the Duramax, and the Cummins both 4b and 6b motors. The IDI 7.3 would be very powerful in a Scout but wouldn't be a speed demon. Great motor choice however and certainly a better idea than a 6.0 liter or 6.4 liter Powerstroke which are full of problems.

9. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Who makes this stand alone computer for the Duramax?

10. Carpainter

Carpainter Guest

im a cummins fan myself, but seeing a duramax or a tuned up powerstroke would be pretty cool too! if you have the "parts truck" to get the motor out of go for it, unless you know what your doing starting from scratch would be a challange

11. xyz12383318

xyz12383318 Farmall Cub

Banks has a standalone marine Duramax. I am also aware of a few conversions that didn't use the GM dash. The pimp my ride Impala is one. I know of a 50 chopped Buick that has a Duramax with no dash. Also the Buick Grand national at 18to1.com has no GM dash. A few issues back in Diesel Power magazine there was a write up on the new Banks marine crate Duramax and the was a bit of info on the a controller. I looked it up on the net but now I can't find the link. I suppose when I am reading through back issues and find it I will get it posted.

12. thescoutmandan

thescoutmandan Farmall Cub

I have see. A powerstoke installed in a scout. Also an old crew cab ford pickup from the 70s. The crew cab had a 6.0 the scout had a 7.3. After seeing the 6.0 install in the old ford truck which was really clean. I have thought about doing the same thing in a scout.