Power Steering Gearbox

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Odoyle.VanCity, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Odoyle.VanCity

Odoyle.VanCity Farmall Cub

Hey Binders,

Scout rookie here. Recently picked up a 1978 traveler and I'm pumped! My mechanic is saying we need a new/rebuilt power steering gear so I'm looking around for help on that front. I've found some rebuilds and rebuild services with a big range in price. Searched the forums here and there were two posts talking about how rebuilds bought from lares were leaking after installation.

Any advice on either purchasing a rebuild or getting mine rebuilt would be great. I'm located in Vancouver Canada, and I also have a mailing address in Washington I can use.

Cheers!

2. DruBrew

DruBrew Farmall Cub

3. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Or Red gear

4. 1975IH200

1975IH200 High Wheeler

...or www.larescorp.com to rebuild your PS unit.
    Located in Cambridge, Minnesota, USA.
    A VAST ARRAY OF CAPABILITIES
    Lares Corporation is one of the largest manufacturers of new and remanufactured power steering gears, manual steering gears, power steering pumps, and power steering components in the United States.
    We stock or can remanufacture any steering gear, pump, control valve or cylinder of any year vehicle – all with our limited lifetime warranty. Lares can help you with all your needs for steering components – we have steering parts for you from the smallest car to the largest truck.

AVAILABLE AT AUTO STORES NATION WIDE
    Lares is proud to be the supplier of steering components to many of the finest auto parts stores across the country. Check our Where To Buy page to find a store near you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  5. Sozzy

Sozzy Farmall Cub

I had AutoZone do mine a couple years ago... Some on this site were talking trash, but so far, so good. And I've not been easy on it. My 2 cents.

6. AdamT

AdamT Farmall Cub

Glad to hear of another Binder owner in Vancouver area.

If you have not already checked them out http://scoutpluss.com is located in Hope and may be easier than cross-border shopping.

Not necessarily specific to your current question, but a local(ish) source of parts. If your Traveler is on the road and you feel like a long drive to visit him try the Highway 7 side of the river on your way east to Hope. More reasonable speeds on that side than on Highway 1

I think they have an annual IH show 'n shine in August as well

Regards

Adam
    (Also in Vancouver & Bowen Island)

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

7. Odoyle.VanCity

8. Odoyle.VanCity

Thanks Adam,

I was pretty surprised to find scoutpluss shortly after I bought the truck. I didn't think there would be an IH focused business anywhere near me! I'm looking to grab some door locks from them in the short term, then some floor pans in the medium term.

The truck isn't on the road at the moment, needs a rebuilt transmission as well but the motor is strong so at least there is that.
    After some further inspection I'm starting to see some rust issues with the frame, so let the headaches begin!

9. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

I think the most important thing is, if he ends up buying a rebuilt instead of rebuilding, dont turn in the core, no matter how much it costs. 30 or 90 days (which is usually how long you have) is just not enough time to find out. Personally, Id be tempted to toss them a wrecking yard core from a minivan or something. I bet you can find something on the freecycle group or craigs list or the local pick and pull that isn't too much trouble to pull. But invariably, you dont realize that the part was bad until a month later, expecially if you dont drive it much. Then you get another and its bad too, and you realize your in "Rebuilt Hell".You can get it replaced for life, with another one that does not work,and maybe isnt even built to the right specs. If you go through enough of the parts, you MIGHT actually get one that works, but in many cases its not exactly the correct part (for example, distributors might have the wrong advance curves, carburetors might be jetted wrong, steering gears the wrong ratio) They work OK, but not perfectly. And by the time you realize that you SHOULD have just sent yours out to have it rebuilt, its too late because yours is long gone. So at the very least, keep the old part.

Scott H likes this.
  10. supercrouton

supercrouton Farmall Cub

Before you buy anything you may want to adjust your box, per the workshop manual. The process is here on BP if you do a search. I was also in rebuild hell, or more accurately fitment hell for a while, because I was SURE my box was done. All that was actually needed was for it to be properly adjusted. The PO had cranked down the output adjustment (allen grub screw with jam nut on top of box) in an attempt to remove slop. Adjusting the input and output by the book, got my '73 Scout II box in spec in my case. It would be worth a try.

Scott H and jeff campbell like this.
  11. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Service manual is worth it's weight in gold.

vince konicki likes this.
  12. vince konicki

vince konicki Farmall Cub

I had power steering .com in Missouri do mine.Very good price and lifetime warranty

13. Odoyle.VanCity

I know what I'm buying next then! Since the truck has been sitting for so long a lot of the bolts and such are seized/rusted so its been a struggle