Power Steering for Scout 80

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by AZ 61 Scout 80, Jan 6, 2020.

1. AZ 61 Scout 80

AZ 61 Scout 80 Farmall Cub

Hey Gang, I’m new on Binder Planet and as a Scout owner. I have a 61 Scout 80 with the original 4 cylinder motor and a three inch body lift. My question for the group is what is your opinion of switching over to power steering. I’m concerned the 92 horse power won’t be enough. Has anyone done this before keeping the original motor? Any advise including what model’s PS to use, would be greatly appreciated.

MShreve likes this.
  2. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I have an early scout 800, switched to ps. It’s not for the weak! Big big job. We are talking about frame modification and fabrication. Steering column and steering box swapping. And bracket fabrication and parts location for ps pump etc etc. there are most likely some better easier ways, but no matter what you do it will be difficult.

oneof3k likes this.
  3. AZ 61 Scout 80

AZ 61 Scout 80 Farmall Cub

Thanks so much for your good advise. If you have a picture of the finished product, I would appreciate seeing it.

4. MShreve

MShreve Farmall Cub

Following along for any insights to this conversion. If you have a minute to post a completed conversion I would love to see how it fit. Many thanks.

5. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Mine was done with Jeep CJ power steering pump, box/rack, steering column and steering wheel. I’ll see if I can dig up some pics...

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Can also go with the new fangled electric power steering. George womack has done it.

scout2000 and 800bman like this.
  7. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

That’s the other one I was thinking of, from a Saturn or something like that

scout2000 and jeff campbell like this.
  8. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Food for though only ---- x2

1st - There are plenty of 'add power steering to Scout 80 & 800's' here in the archives, so if you are going the conventional route, there are plenty of opportunities to review others work.

Option 2 - you may also consider moving to electric power steering, especially if HP loss is an issue. There is a great write-up from a forum member using salvage yard parts (I believe from a Saturn). I also attended a Good Guys car show late last year, and I discovered that there is also a healthy aftermarket for aftermarket electric PS conversions. Probably would depend on your budget for the project.

EDIT: I see Jeff Campbell beat me to the punch with the Electric PS option. If I were doing my conversion on my 800 today, this is definitely an option I would have persued.

AZ 61 Scout 80 and 800bman like this.
  9. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

I had my manual steering box on my 80 rebuilt at powersteering.com and it made a huge difference. Sure, I have to crank it when I'm parking and I have to 3-point stuff my Land Cruiser 100 would do one-time, but that's the D27 front axles fault as much as my weak forearms. Rolling down the road and regular driving is no prob.

walkersscout likes this.
  10. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

You simply need to learn how to drive fast into parking lots and into a spot before braking at the last possible second. The steering is much easier.

G-funk, Nicxt44191 and oneof3k like this.
  11. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

jeff campbell likes this.
  12. Nicxt44191

Nicxt44191 Farmall Cub

This literally made me laugh out loud. It is true though. My f100 has a manual box, and takes some effort at a dead stop. Once it starts rolling, even a little bit, the steering gets exponentially easier. That being said, I'm in the beginning stages of putting a jeep grand Cherokee box in my 80

13. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

IH Parts America has a power steering conversion kit coming out later this year for the Scout 80/800 with 4cyl engine. Our test Scout has been in the shop for a few weeks now as we develop the parts needed to make the conversion possible. As stated in a prior post it will not be an easy conversion as modifications to the steering column and frame are required.