`Possible sighting of my stolen 6-Speed?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by stu simpson, Jan 21, 2006.

1. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Some of you know that I had a 1929 6 Speed Special stolen by a shipper in December 2004. The truck was picked up from the Brown Company, an agricultural implement dealer in Wheatland, Wyoming where I was storing it, by Fred Hulbert. I contracted with Hulbert to deliver the truck to me. It never arrived.

Hulbert carries a driver's license from Pennsylvania, a state identity card from Arizona, and has been known to live in Seattle, where his mother lives. His most recent address is in a trailer park in Apache Junction, Arizona. Hulbert has shipped trucks, tractors etc responding to adds on various antique machinery boards. He picked up my truck, and it has never been seen again. I filed a theft complaint with the Sherrif's department in Wheatland, and after interviewing Brown Co. employees, reviewing documents that I and others provided, reviewing Hulbert's record, and after the police had a few unsatisfactory conversations over the phone with him, the D.A with jurisdiction filed felony theft charges against Hulbert. The charging documents include extradition, considered unusual for this situation but it's apparently relevant to the D.A and police because of Hulbert's record and what he said to them when they communicated in January 2005.

After Hulbert picked up the truck, I contacted him via cellphone and he claimed to be "near Omaha". He was supposed to bring the truck right to me, and it was anticipated he was to take another two or three days to get it to me. It did not happen, claiming lots of ridiculous problems, and later he let it slip that he drove south through Nebraska along Rt 81 on his way home to Arizona. My truck was apparently removed from his trailer by tying it off to a telephone pole and driving off. When I last had contact with him at the end of January 05, he insinuated that the truck was in Apache Junction at "a friend's" construction equipment yard.

A friend and fellow IHC truck collector from N. Kansas just called and emailed the other day that he had dealings with a "Bob" Hulbert who was selling 6 Speed Specials and other 20's S-trucks from "a friend's" construction equipment yard in Hebron, Nebraska....right on Rt 81. My description of the truck which has some interesting unusual features leads my friend to think it was there. Obviously, the local police are now involved. It doesn't seem the truck(s) are still there, but someone out there saw something or knows something, like where the truck(s) went. It is possible that someone bought my truck (or others) from Hulbert or might know who did...

Again, Hulbert has felony warrants out against him. He drives a dark GMC or Chevy dually with an unusual custom made trailer with angle iron welded upside down to keep things from rolling off. He brags about this trailer. He keeps two large, aggressive dogs in his cab. He also drives a grey Dodge van. His last known address is in a trailer park on Broadway in Apache, Junction, Arizona but he could be anywhere. He scrapes out a life by doing hauls...or other things. He likes to take back roads.

Any information leading to my truck brings a reward. Anything leading to Hulbert that then leads to my truck brings a reward. Any contribution to the cause brings my heartfelt thanks. This guy ripped me off, and he has done it to others and might just keep doing it. If you know something, please call me and/or the Hebron, Nebraska Sherrif's department.

Stuart Simpson
    443-250-5398
    410-833-9080

in Maryland

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  2. ih200

ih200 Farmall Cub

Do you have a pic of the truck by chance? I'm not to far from Hebron, about 75 miles or so. Do you have a name of who had it around the Hebron area?

3. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Stu,..I know what a 6 Speed looks like and will keep my eyes peeled down here in the "Redneck State" as I like to frequent Antique car and Tractor shows quite a bit. Any special features you can share,..and heres hoping you get reunited with your "Baby", and the latest swindler gets what he has coming.

4. Sean Wetgen

Sean Wetgen Farmall Cub

I'll keep an eye out as well. I am about 150 miles north of Hebron, and am a trucker and word spreads fast at truck stops. Sorry to hear of such bad luck, that SOB will get what he deserves. Dogs or no dogs he'll go down. But I doubt that if he does turn up and is caught that they could keep him locked up for long. :mad:

5. IHREDRIDER

IHREDRIDER Farmall Cub

Hey, If you've done this, just ignore this post.

If I were you I would get on http://www.pirate4x4.com/welcome1.php and let everyone know over there. If you don't know them, they can be a rough and collouse bunch. However they are very honest ie hate thieves and they can be quite strong as a group. There are forum members all over the world. I would NOT want any bad attention from them if I was dishonest. If you have any doubts just search the "Wenzel" threads. They get VERY ugly for the bad party.

6. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Thread stuck,

While the BB doesn't support the "wenzel version" of justice, theft is unacceptable no matter what.

I hope that the person who made off with Stu's truck is found, and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

-John

7. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Thank you everyone. I am in communication with the police in Hebron, and they seem interested in this. It is a small community there, and apparently everyone knows everyone else. The fellow who ripped me off is not a member of the community, and lives a gypsy existence. It appears he had something worked out with someone who does live there.

I have 2 pics, one is worthless as it looks like any other 6 Speed from the front, but the side shot is very helpful in identifying the truck. The police have told me to slow down for a couple of days while they pursue this lead, and in the meantime I will find the CD the pics are burned to and post them in a day or two or sooner.

For general consumption: I do collect IHC for fun. I like Scout 80's and 800's and 1920's trucks. However, like many folks, I have to combine the irrational 'hobby' end of it with work/money making in order for it to make sense. All of my work trucks are IHC, from my landscape production trucks to the Scout plow truck that I use to keep the wolves from the door in the winter. My brother and I are trying to get some stuff going to augment the winter $$$ blues building cabs and cab wood kits for 1920's IHC trucks. The truck that was stolen was not only a prime builder unit for my hobby, but was to serve as an advertising prop for the business and be a template for reproducing cabs. (I restore turn of the 20th century etc fish ponds and fountains, and build 'brand-new antique' ponds and fountains). This truck wasn't a family heirloom, didn't belong to old Granddad, so while I am not heartsick I am furious that someone would essentially take the tools that I use or would use in order to make money to support my family. If it were just a deal gone bad for an expensive hobby, I would have just chalked it up to a hard lesson learned....I might yet have to do that....

8. IHREDRIDER

IHREDRIDER Farmall Cub

I hope I wasn't misunderstood. I do not think the BB is the place for "wenzel justice". The Pirate Board is much more equiped for that, and the seem to enjoy it greatly. It is good to see a thief on the hot seat :D :D :D .

9. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I would agree the BB is not the place for an E-Smackdown that has become infamous on the Pirate, but I frequent the Pirates and enjoy the site and I as well would not like to become the target of any Pirates with knotted panties. John has it correct,..Wenzeling is not pretty or preferred, but I do like to see Justice prevail,..see less and less of that these days. Good luck Stu.

10. Dirt Sandwich

Dirt Sandwich Farmall Cub

dangit, this made me go there and read the orig thread... man that was about 4-5 hours blown. Very funny but I'm glad BB doesn't allow that kind of language/pictures. some of us like to browse the site from work :)

11. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

There's a six speed on eBay right now. I hope "yours" is in better condition, Stu.

12. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Did not see the ebay model....

Update:

The Nebraska lead didn't amount to much, other than the guy apparently did do business there. The owner of the yard told the Police one thing and me something totally different. Hard to do anything about that.

However...

Two more folks have contacted me with claims that they have had vehicles stolen by Hulbert. I have two new cellphone numbers for him, one in Arizona and one in Bradenton,Fla to go along with one Arizona and one Seattle area code number. He won't answer my calls, but he might answer calls from someone else (?). It looks like this is an ongoing criminal enterprise run out of Arizona. One of the guys who also got taken (for a 1994 Dodge Cummins Dually) knows of a "secret" holding yard in Apache Junction and is going there today with the Police. A little fishy sounding, but I'll let things develop a little. The other guy had his 1942 Ford business coupe stolen in March of last year by Hulbert. He sounds a lot more emotionally affected than me, as this was his "baby" while mine was a business prop and cab template.

The club is getting bigger...

13. Doug Shailor

Doug Shailor Guest

This guy needs to have both knees blown off with 12 gauge #4 buck shot (27 .25 cal pellets). Then let the sucker bleed to death!

14. Aaron L.

Aaron L. Farmall Cub

Now Doug...don't beat around the bush with any namby-pamby "we need to be sensetive to this poor misunderstood soul's needs" talk, tell us what you realy think! :D

15. MUDDAWG

MUDDAWG Equal Opportunity Offender

i like dougs idea of rehabilitation

if he lives hell be a changed man

if not so what

the world will be better off

its a shame the legal avenue will not give this guy near enough time

16. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

FBI is now on the case....

17. David Fulford

David Fulford Binder Driver

Cool! Maybe you'll end up on DateLine! Seriously, I hope it gets resolved soon and the outcome is best case.

18. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Finally some movement!!!!!

The truck theif called me from out of the blue the other day, proposing a "deal" whereby I drop the charges in exchange for my truck!!! Apparently, someone alerted him to the bag full of felony charges against him and the fear of God has descended upon him.

!

According to the police, I am not supposed to say what I can or can't do about that, but we need to verify the location of the truck and that it is mine. Supposedly it is still in the Phoenix area. I might need someone to take a digital pic or two and send it to the police and to me for identification.

Can anyone help with that?

Thanks!!!

19. Mark N

Mark N Farmall Cub

Stu
    I live in Apache Jct and also a member of the Sonora Desert Scouts, If the Truck turns out to be out east of Phoenix I would be glad to Assist in any way I can, If the truck is West or North of Phoenix I am sure someone else in the club would do the same. Let us Know if there is anything we can do.

20. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Many thanks!!!

We'll see what develops....