please dont stone me!!

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by Devin Cardon, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Devin Cardon

Devin Cardon Farmall Cub

Ive thunk myself up an idear!! just wonderin if anyone else is as willing to commit treason as much as me!:ninja: Just kidding. over the past year of driving my jeep cherokee ive taken a liking to the characteristics of the 4.0L. has anyone done a 4.0l swap into a sII. I think it will fit nicely, shave a couple hundred lbs, and give multi-port fi, as well as keep similar torque and hp rattings. stroke the motor and get even better torque. I dont know if anyone makes an adapter to a t18 tranny but at some point jeeps came w/them(I think?) any input?

2. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Use the IH/AMC 258 bellhousing, you'll need to cut a hole in it for the crank sensor or convert to a front dampener style of crank sensor, and you'll need the pilot shaft coller to use the AMC/JEEP engine with the IH tranny.

3. Mark Ashford

Mark Ashford Moderator.. or something Staff Member Moderator

IH used the 4.6L Heep motor in Scouts, so its will be just fine :D

Modern EFI powerplants definitely are nicer than older carb'd truck motors.... but truck motors are still fun :punk:

Do some searching, I swear this has been done before but can't for the life of me when.

4. WRENCH MAN

I was unaware that Jeep had a 4.6ltr motor:confused: , the 232 is a 3.8 and the 258 is a 4.2.
    If you stuff a 258 crank into a 242 block you get a 4.6!:smartass:

5. Mark Ashford

Mark Ashford Moderator.. or something Staff Member Moderator

:clown:

Hey, its late.

4.2/258.... my bad

6. Devin Cardon

Devin Cardon Farmall Cub

my dd is an 89 cherokee so its got the mpi and all that fun stuff, but its not a H.O. but i might have access to a cheap one. I figure that when the dd finally dies or something goes horribly wrong with the rest of the d.t. Ill pull that and rebuild/stroke with the crank from a 258. seemes like someone else here or on pirate said they had done this and the 4.0 pretty much just dropped in? will the amc pilot buthing work w/ the release arm of a sii t18?

7. WRENCH MAN

The coller I spoke of is for the pilot bushing, use the throwout bearing and fork from the IH bellhousing on the IH tranny

Do a search, this has been covered before.

8. Devin Cardon

Devin Cardon Farmall Cub

search!!? but i want to be hand fed:tt2: no really i do apreciat the input, and im trying to weed through the search info. if anyone has done this and can shed some light on how they like it and if its worth the time and effort for the gains that would be great, yeah. thanks

9. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

The problem you have (if its the rig in your sig) is that you have a V-8 frame. If you have a original 6 cyl frame then it will bolt in. Otherwise you will need to install new motor mounts on the frame.

10. Pete Shubin

Pete Shubin Farmall Cub

The 258 in the Scout II also sat a lot farther back than the 304 or 345 did. If you have a V-8 Scout the transmission will need to be moved back to make room for the I-6.

Why not just start with a Scout that came with a 258?

Mine now has a 360.

11. Devin Cardon

Devin Cardon Farmall Cub

mine has a 345 in it right now but i dont see anything that would prevent me fro m moving the trans back a few inches. If it needs to go more than that then firewall mods are necessary. My jeeps been a B#$%H lately with a horrible death wobble:eek: that seems to be ever so elusive in fixing so maybe this swap is in the near future:cool2: but we'll have to see

anyone want an 89 jeep cherrokee with a whinny trans and no motor in NM?

12. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

I would like to build my wife an early 70s Scout II (Soft Top) maybe even a 4x2 and my oldest son has a 99 Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 I am impressed with the power and torque of it. When I start looking for an older Scout I would like to find a 258? and replace it or update it to a 4.0.

13. Brad Whitty

Brad Whitty Farmall Cub

Devin, I would just pick up a Scout II with the AMC engine already installed, then just do the swap when ready. One was just on E-bay a couple of days ago. nice one too! I have a 1971 SII with the original 258 engine in it. LOVE IT! Makes it easy to walk in a parts store and tell them I have a '71 Jeep and need a widget for a 258 engine. They get right on it. I have Scouts with the IHv-8's too, but I have to go to certain parts stores and find certain guys who will take the time to get me what I need. Other stores, the young guys do not even know what a IH truck is!!!!

No stoning coming from here, just a great bunch of IH guys who love the IH brand as IH was great for using all kinds of motors. That is the beauty of a Scout, they are "flexible" on what engine they can take. I am going to take one of my Scouts and put a Dodge 318 bolted up to a TF727 auto for my daughter to drive. I still will have another ithe the good ole 345 in it!

Brad
    20 binders row

14. Mike Elrod

Mike Elrod Farmall Cub

I'd just put in a 392 and inject it:)

15. Larry Vaughn

Larry Vaughn Farmall Cub

Devin, Yes I have done a 4.0 conversion. I did it to my 72 S II that came original with the 258/4.2.
    Was an extremely easy projuect as I did a lot of home work first.
    You will need the 258/IH bell housing.
    I bought a wrecked Cherokee so I got EVERYTHING. Made life pretty easy. Try to get a 1990 or later as they have the better computer/sensors and performance.
    Relocate kit to move the Crank sensor to the front of the engine
    I bought a premade wiring harness from Mopar ( got lazy and didnt want to strip the Cherokee harness. ) Im at work right now But I have all of the part #s and scources if you are interested.

I am extremely impressed with how easy it was and how well it works.
    If you want the info I have e mail me @ both of the addresses and I ll get it to you and any assistance I can be.

luckylv414@yahoo.com
    vaughnle@ci.durango.co.us
    Larry

16. Larry Vaughn

Larry Vaughn Farmall Cub

Here is where I got all my parts except the haness and fuel pump Good luck http://www.hesco.us/.

17. silvadon74

silvadon74 Farmall Cub

i thought about doing the same swap my self but decided against it. id go with the 4.0 H.O or build a stroker. personally id stay away form using any with the renix computer they can be a pain. if you need any engine info search around on naxja.org these guys know the 4.0's

18. Devin Cardon

Devin Cardon Farmall Cub

wow!!! its been a while since ive been here. School just started so my research was put on the back burners. It looks like it could be a while before i couls even realistically do this(I always forget at how consuming school is) But the more i research it the more excited I get. I really like that motor and think it would be nice to shave some lbs off that huge pig/and gain fuel inj.

Larry thanks for the link and i'll email you if your still up for enlightening me on your conversion. The more i work this out on paper the sooner i can decide if its something i can pull off!!

Thanks again everybody!!