Plastidip'd the Scout

Discussion in 'Hill Country Binders - Central TX' started by Gimlet, May 2, 2017.

1. Gimlet

Gimlet Farmall Cub

Hey gang,

I finally did it. I've had this in mind for some time now, and had actually purchased the kit to do this a couple of years back. I got the Scout to a point where I am happy with it mechanically, and had rust-proofed and bed-lined the interior. With that, it was time to turn my attention to the exterior. The PO had painted it with a single stage green. It looked pretty good from about 20 ft. but as you got close, it had a ton of runs, orange peel, imperfections, poor prep work was evident, etc. There were also a number of small dents, and some "trail stripes" down the sides that were unsightly. This isn't a show truck and she gets used, so I didn't want to spend the time or money to do a full new paint job. I've followed the advances on Plasti-dip and had seen some pretty good looking results at some car shows, so I thought I should give it a shot.

I took my time in the prep (it's all about the prep work), removing all the trim, lights, bumpers, mirrors, and so forth, taped the heck out of it, and draped my garage with drop cloths. I rubbed the body down with denatured alcohol (that's it), then it was time to shoot. We (brother-in-law has some experience) laid down 2 gallons of flat gun-metal grey base, then hit it with 1 gal matte and 1 gal gloss blended for a satin finish, complemented with 100 grams of Candy Cocoa Metallic. The stuff is super easy to work with and forgiving (it self-levels and dries quick), and cleans up pretty easily (over spray doesn't travel far).

I am pretty pleased with the results. There are a few spots where the PO didn't mask (window felts, around the gas filler trim) where you can still see traces of the green. Otherwise, from a distance you wouldn't know it's not paint. It's only once you touch it you realize there is a rubbery texture. I did the door cards and shifter panel to match as well. In looking at various Scout II's over the years, I decided to leave the grill in the gun-metal color to mimic that bit of contrast. While I had all the emblems off I soaked them in MEK, lightly sanded with the dremel, the painted them up to look new.

Thought I would share, as I know there are quite a few of us out there that don't want to drop the coin on making our trail rigs too pretty, or just need a temporary solution for the time being.

back quarter web.jpg side web.jpg front quarter web.jpg

2. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Man that looks amazing. And since you sprayed it in a few layers should be pretty tough.

I may go this route as my Scout looks pretty terrible as it sits.

Is that a home made cage? Looks awesome.

33s on a 4" lift?

3. ziggybock

ziggybock Farmall Cub

That looks awesome! Great job! Can't wait to check it out in person.

-Z

4. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

That color and the blacked out trim looks amazing. Well done!!!

5. Gimlet

Gimlet Farmall Cub

Thanks y'all! Cage is custom - have a friend that does frames and cages for race cars; this was his first 4x4 and I think he (and his sidekick) did a pretty good job! Powder coated it, along with all the trim, door handles, etc satin black. The black didn't pop against the Forest Green, but it has a cohesive look now. 4" lift on 33's....

winchested likes this.
  6. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Very cool. Will you be able to bring it to the May 13th meeting?

7. Gimlet

Gimlet Farmall Cub

Sadly no...I'm...wait for it....going to be attending a wedding. It's my cousin's all the way up in Indiana...sigh...
    June?

8. Ben Miller

Ben Miller Farmall Cub

Curious, how much product did it take to dip your Scout? And, how did it hold up over time?

9. Gimlet

Gimlet Farmall Cub

It's held up pretty well actually; admittedly however, she doesn't get a chance to come out and play as often as I like. There are a few spots where I left mud caked on for a week or so, that once rinsed off, dulled the finish a bit - it looks like permanent mud splatter on the doors and quarter...not a bad thing for an off-road rig I guess. Also, my son has repeatedly door dinged it in the garage, so there is a patch that has worn through. I actually ordered more pigment recently and will be mixing up a small new batch for touch-ups. Unfortunately i guess I did not get the interior door panels clean enough, and they started to bubble and peel. I need to fix the latches anyway so might as well recoat them while the doors are off.

4 gallons total - 2 base gunmetal grey, 1 matte, 1 gloss mixed. Had about a bit less than a quart left once finished, not enough to do another coat.

Scout.jpg

Erik Morton likes this.