Pilot bushing for AMC 232

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Evan McGinnis, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Evan McGinnis

Evan McGinnis Farmall Cub

1971 800B w/ AMC 232 & 4 Speed transmission
    I'm having a bit of a hard time tracking down something I thought would be easy.
    I am rebuilding my engine, but I'm not quite sure what pilot bearing and alignment tool I should get.
    The old bearing I pulled out is ID 19/32" OD 1 3/64" x 5/8" tall
    The nose of the input shaft is 9/16.
    A parts supplier tells me he has an alignment tool for a 5/8 bushing, but that won't fit.

Do I just have some sort of odd setup, or am I just not measuring correctly?

Thanks,
    -Evan-

2. Evan McGinnis

Evan McGinnis Farmall Cub

When I remove the transmission tunnel, I see T98-148H in the cover, which I think indicates a T18? The input shaft is 10 spline, 1 1/4".

-Evan-

3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

My MT-123 parts book lists 387 078 C1 as the bushing, 421 231 C1 as a wick for it, (no other parts, e.g. bearing, being shown) both for the 6-232 engine and manual transmission. The bushing shows up on this site (which, IIRC, also came up recently on another thread:

I would probably first contact my favorite LightLine dealer or a local Bearing house, asking the latter if they have a cross reference table.
    As for the pilot tool, a piece of plastic or even wood whittled to closely fit the holes would work fine. Doesn't need to be splined or even one piece, just closely fitting. A plastic tube over a smaller shaft might work. Or a tape wrapping to get the final size right?

jeff campbell likes this.
  4. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Also look on the side of that transmission. I recently learned that what I thought was a T18 in my Travelall is most likely a T98.
    E9F78CCD-189A-48F6-BB73-FACBA8D4AFE9.jpeg
    You can use a socket extension for an alignment tool too.

5. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

The AMC engines used AMC pilot bushings, get one for the same year model AMC/Jeep, the issue is the IH put a sleeve on the pilot of their transmissions to be compatible with the AMC engines, if you're measuring your pilot at 9/16"(it's actually 15mm, the bearing IS metric, the # is 6202 for the IH engines) the pilot sleeve is missing.

There is MUCH info on this subject with a little bit of a search.
    http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?search/19977243/&q=pilot&o=date&c[user][0]=9176

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Extension with correct size socket on it.