Picked up another SSII - 1977

Discussion in 'SSII' started by UplandHunter, Sep 8, 2018.

1. UplandHunter

UplandHunter Farmall Cub

Some of you might recognize this 77 SSII from Facebook. Lucky for me I got a heads up from a Scout friend of its existence. I have done some research and although this SSII was bought and spent its life in PA. It originally was built and shipped to an IH dealer in Greenville, NC - which is about 30 miles from where I live. The owner of the dealership in Greenville was from PA and had family up in PA that was an IH dealer as well. Small world. I bought this thinking I would take the good stuff off of it to put on my brown SSII that I bought from SSS. Then put some seats I bought locally and just fix this one up good enough to use as a beater. My old Expedition’s (that I use to haul trash etc) transmission is finally going out and I am going to replace it with this Scout. From the pictures you will see it would take a ton of work to bring this body back. I plan on just reinforcing the weak areas, repair the floors and rockers. Front fenders replaced, etc.
    Unlike many of you on this site, my skills are greatly limited, but I am thinking I can’t mess this one up cutting and welding on it. You can see if the pictures it’s been cut and welded on in the past. It’s spent it life as a farm truck from what I understand.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  2. sdhachey

sdhachey Farmall Cub

Looks like one that should be saved, good colors for an SS II. Hope you and everyone around you, and the Scouts for that matter, will make it through the storm okay. Good luck.

UplandHunter likes this.
  3. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

I'd be fixing it !

UplandHunter likes this.
  4. UplandHunter

UplandHunter Farmall Cub

Thanks Steve. Glad to have Florence out of eastern NC. I will be happier when these flooding waters begin to subside.
    Sorry so late responding. Have had a lot going on, preparing, then hunkering down till it passed.
    I guess the word “beater” was a poor choice and gives a false impression to everyone reading my posts. It will not be left uncovered and will be taken care of. I plan on stopping all the leaks, replacing all fluids, etc. I need to stabilize the body to be able to get a N.C. tag for it. The pictures taken do not show the extent of the rust damage to the body- front fenders both need to be replaced, they are not worth repairing - rear quarters need to be replaced, maybe even inner quarters. Rust has come through on the inner quarters on both sides and tops of the Scout. The rockers and mounts were previously replaced and 1 has completely rusted out again. While the Brown SSII rusted from top to bottom, this one rusted the more common bottom up.
    Agree, white is one of the best colors for these SSII’s. That’s one of the reasons I bought it.I plan on using this Scout, where once the brown SSII is retubbed and repainted, it will become a good weather only Scout.
    My goal is to try to help save all these SSII’s, before they are parted out or scrapped! I want to encourage everyone to do the same.
    I tend to be a purist, but with the condition of this body, I just plan on repairing it to make it road worthy. I believe it was used on a farm all of it’s life, my thoughts are the gentleman that owned it all those years must have loved it. I suspect he did most of the body repairs and cosmetic touch ups to keep it looking good and road worthy. He obviously did not want to part with it. To me, that part of its history is pretty cool. Like the first owner, I plan on keeping it going for many more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth Barber and winchested like this.
  5. Flyinbrian

Flyinbrian Farmall Cub

It don't look to bad ! Try finding one that lives in the salt belt!! Had one the steering box rotted off the frame...

UplandHunter likes this.