perkins coversion ?

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by 200eight, Jan 14, 2013.

1. 200eight

200eight Farmall Cub

What perkins engine is used for the diesel coverion in a 200 eight 3/4 ton and what needs to be done to the truck and trany to do it

2. nekbinders

nekbinders Binder Driver

Perkins 354-6, the red block not black. Not real sure how they adapt, either adapter plate or bell housing.

3. bmacguyver

bmacguyver High Wheeler

there is an adapter for the 6-354 and for the 4-236, they are both fairly rare, the one for the 4-236 i have seen 1, it was on the engine i pulled out of my 73 1210 and sold when i put a 345 back in it. wish now i had kept it.

hth

mac

4. 200eight

200eight Farmall Cub

can adapter be made for it

5. 200eight

200eight Farmall Cub

i am still woundering on my adapter ?

6. Sprint 6

Sprint 6 Farmall Cub

Anything can be made, what it would cost is another thing. I would be more concerned with finding the correct 354 Perkins first, there are several different versions and they don't readily interchange.

7. 200eight

200eight Farmall Cub

is there a certain serial number i should be looking for

8. Sprint 6

Sprint 6 Farmall Cub

I do not claim to know the ins and outs of Perkins 354s, all I know is there are several variations depending on what they were originally in. You may want to find someone knowledgable of four digit Oliver tractors, the late 1855 and 1955 both used the Perkins engine, as did Massey combines. The Oliver guys love the Massey Perkins because it is the closest match to the Oliver when they need one. Oliver guys seem to be the most knowledgable about this engine, put a post in the Oliver section of ytmag.com and see what happens. I know alot of the differences center around the head/manifolds, oil filter mounting, and front cover. There are other differences, though that affect internal parts such as bearings and pistons.

9. Forcus

Forcus Farmall Cub

Don't know if this is helpful at all but here's a stab.

Perkins engines (4.236 and 6.354) are relatively common and cheap. Many old combines had the 6.354.

Here's the tough part - most seem to have been mated to hydraulic pumps. The correct flywheel housing and bellhousing are hard to find. It is even tougher if you are trying to put a manual trans to it. It is much easier to do an automatic trans as there are adapters available for Ford, GM, Dodge transmissions from the PTO-type flywheels that tend to be on these things. Phoenix Castings had / has some.

There were very rare factory packages available - most probably scrapped now - 2 ton trucks used Perkins engines and standard transmissions. Dodge in the 60's, seen some Fords, etc. But very hard to find.

I know all this because I had a Cat 3054 (a newer Perkins 4.236) that I tried to adapt but ran out of patience because I couldn't find the adapters, and if I did, they were usually in a complete package and very expensive. If you are willing to spend the time and money it is possible... you can get industrial engines set up for transmissions new, but very expensive. One other possibility is an Australian off-road truck - I don't recall the name but I think it was something like URO - that used Perkins 4.236 and manual trans. There is a following for them so it is possible to import the parts... again... $$. Just depends how bad you want it. To be honest a 7.3 swap, or Cummins swap is MUCH ceasier and parts are much more readily available.

10. Forcus

Forcus Farmall Cub

One other possibility, some airport tugs were built with Perkins engines and I believe Ford C6 automatic trannies. A couple years ago I tracked one down and they wanted a couple grand for the trans / housings.

11. blueflame

blueflame Farmall Cub

Have you considered the Cummins 4-bt or 6bt swap. They are the most popular swap right now and I now have 10,000 mi on my 64 C900 with a 4bt and just love it. Lots of info at 4btswaps.com.:punk:

12. 200eight

200eight Farmall Cub

does any one have a picture of the adapter plate for the perkins 6.354 plus how much horse power can i get it to make and is there any companies that make performance parts for them

13. bmacguyver

bmacguyver High Wheeler

a percolator 6-354ta should do 180 to 225 fairly easy. as for performance parts bigger turbo, after cooler, turn up the fuel, and watch the pyro so you dont cook it.

hth

mac

14. 200eight

200eight Farmall Cub

how much will it take to top a well built 12v 5.9 cummins

15. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

I posted photos on this thread. I am looking for one of them. I may have to repair mine, but with some of the housing missing, my starter may be mislocated.