Perkins 354T Diesel Engine

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Colin Rush, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Colin Rush

Colin Rush Man of Voive Staff Member Moderator

Bellhousing Adaptor

The adaptor plate is missing one of the three broken shards. Fixing it is going to take time, and money. I have been calling truck salvage yards, engine shops, and IH parts places in five states. I finally found a place in California that used to be a Perkins service shop, which has four of the adaptor plates. He wants $750 per unit. I am not saying I won't get it, but I am still shopping around for a better deal.

Other than that, not much else going on. Need to get this ironed out, first.

2. Colin Rush

Mt-127

I managed to borrow a copy of MT-127, which covers larger trucks. I scanned all of the pages that appeared to cover the 354 Perkins diesel, and any items that interfaced with it. On this post are the sections for the engine, exhaust system, electrical system, brakes, and steering.

Attached Files:

3. Colin Rush

Mt-127

Attached here are the sections covering the cab, clutch, fuel system, propeller shafts, and speedometer & miscellaneous components.

I didn't copy the transmission section because it doesn't really discuss anything that isn't covered in the other sections.

I still need to identify the parts book that covers the trucks with turbochargers. MT-127 only covers the naturally-aspirated engine. If anyone knows which manual covers that, let me know.

Attached Files:

4. Colin Rush

Truck Models

Based on what I found in MT-127, I see that the Perkins was standard on the 1630 trucks. In addition, it was also installed in the 1600, 1603, 1700, 1703, F1700, 1800, 1803, F1800, F1800D. When looking for engines or engine parts, this should give you a way to start the search with the truck wrecking yards.

5. Colin Rush

Transmissions

Based on the parts book, the 354 Perkins was mounted in front of the following transmissions:

Code 13015 / T-15: Warner Gear T-98 4-speed
    Code 13017 / T-17: New Process T-435 4-speed with RH PTO
    Code 13033 / T-33: Fuller/IHC 5-speed w/1:1 Direct, no synchro
    Code 13034 / T-34: Fuller/IHC 5-speed w/OD & 6.21:1 Low
    Code 13035 / T-35: Fuller/IHC 5-speed w/1:1 Direct & 7.17:1 Low
    Code 13036 / T-36: Fuller/IHC 5-speed w/1:1 Direct & 6.21:1 Low
    Code 13054 / T-54: Fuller 5W-43AT 5-speed w/1:1 Direct
    Code 13057 / T-57: Fuller 5W-43DT 5-speed w/1:1 Direct

This is not to say that none of the other transmissions that IHC used would fit. I am just saying that these are the transmissions that are specifically indicated as being installed with the 354 diesel engine, so they should work without modifications.

The part numbers for those transmissions used with the Perkins 354 are the same as for the BD308 and the SV V8 engines, which means they have the same input shafts, and they will fit the transmission behind the more typical V8 or BD engine found in a Light Line truck.
    The transmission part numbers for the RD and DV engines are different, so replacing those with a Perkins will require changing the transmission or swapping the input shaft, I reckon.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. Colin Rush

Engine Service Manual

On eBay, I found a new copy of the factory service manual for the naturally-aspirated Perkins D354 engine. It is CTS-2239. The specific one that I have is an update, CTS-2239-A, which was issued as Supplement 501 to the CTS-2001 truck service manual, Engines Section L.

Still need to find the other parts and service information for the turbocharged Perkins, but this is better than nothing. At least with this, someone can order a new copy from Binder Books or another reprinter.

Attached Files:

7. Colin Rush

Exhaust Gaskets

Doughnut Gasket
    The IH part number for the exhaust doughnut gasket is 72093R1. I called Brattain International, and they told me it was no longer available. I did a search online, and found it listed on one of the military surplus sites. Other companies used this gasket for exhaust, and also for hydraulic cylinder packing. The NSN number is 5330-00-374-9431. By searching the NSN sites, I learned the following information about this gasket.

Inside Diameter = 2.438"
    Outside Diameter = 3.000"
    Cross-Sectional Height = 0.594"
    Width at Outer Rim = 0.156"
    Material: Cast-Iron

At least a person can find a close approximation with this information.

Also, I learned from this that the exhaust pipe is a 2.5" pipe, in stock configuration.

Flange Gasket
    The gasket that goes on the collector of the exhaust manifold is an asbestos gasket. The IH part number is 228462R1. It is still available from Dresser dealers.

8. Colin Rush

Power/Torque Curve

I found this on the 4BT site.
    It was taken from a magazine article published in 1982, and pertains to the T6-354 Perkins engine.

Attached Files:

9. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

How's the parts acquisition coming along? I remember seeing a new member pop up here a while back with a D-series T-all he found with a 354 and I believe a T-34. Is that the same one mentioned earlier in this thread? Sure hope not, that looked to be a really sweet rig. Interesting to hear that your engines came out of IHC motorhome chassis'. Sure wish mine had a Perkins in it, might double the mileage from 5 to 10 mpg lol Not that I'm complaining about 5 mpg, that's not bad for a 392 pushing 2 sheets of plywood through the wind dragging 10,000 lbs behind it.

10. Wolfemax

Wolfemax Farmall Cub

Wow Colin Rush you are a wealth of information. I've subscribed to the thread. Do you have any updates?

Earlier you mentioned about the Delco starter number. I have one on the D354 I just picked up that came out of a CO International. The Delco-Remy number is 1113644 which according to Remy is obsolete and superseded and the new parts are obsolete and superseded etc. Their current numbers are 10461225, 1993988, and 10461416 which fall under their 37MT family.

In regards to your flywheel housing, do you know which bolt pattern it has (for both flywheel and bell patterns)? It looks the same as the one I have on my Perkins, and I'm wanting to mate up a modern 5 speed with overdrive like the Ford ZF-5 or an NV4500. Not meaning to hijack your thread, but if anyone has info on that, my thread is over here: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124821

Thanks!

11. arrowmntdiesel

arrowmntdiesel Farmall Cub

Colin,
    I'm very interested in how this project is going. I am in the Medford, OR. area and am watching for one of these projects.
    Thanks,
    Mark

12. Colin Rush

I haven't put much time into this lately. I am trying to get my '67 1100 back on the road before summer is past, and I have an M-5H-6 body that I need to get moved, sandblasted, primed and painted, and dropped on the ground for a while. I probably won't get back to this before the year is out. Plus, I need to order one of those adaptor plates, which takes money that I haven't wanted to spend. I do need to bite the bullet and get back on this.

I get down to Medford periodically, and have to do a startup and training on some equipment at the VA in White City, probably in September. If you have time, I would be willing to come by and talk, look at your projects, et cetera.

13. arrowmntdiesel

Colin,
    I would like that very much. I also am in the Portland area often, as I have a daughter that works at PDX. I have done a search here on the forum for a PM (private message) button to send you my contact information, but as of yet, I have not located it.
    I am a Oregon native and my children are the 4th generation on the same property, so there is lots of old iron here at home and several different I/H's .
    If that other Perkins is a candidate for a B-184 truck, I would be interested in it if it would become up for sale??
    Thanks for the reply Colin,
    Mark

14. bmacguyver

bmacguyver High Wheeler

another good trans option would be a 7 speed also called a 6+ or 6+1 overdrive, behind a 466e the splits are great and the truck we have one in runs 80 on low pro 19.5's, dont know what rear end gear yet.

15. arrowmntdiesel

I see the 466 engines a lot, but they seem to be a much larger engine than what I am needing. The Perkins would be the right size and all mechanical injections is perfect.
    The transmission is a I/H 5 speed main box with a 3 speed aux. box behind it. Single speed rear axle. Full air brake truck as well. 1962 B184 model. It has been in my family for 35 years.

Mark

16. ChinaClipper

ChinaClipper Farmall Cub

Thread bump, any updates? New info re Perkins? Thanks!

17. Top Ramen

Top Ramen Farmall Cub

I have to ask... why were there two engines for sale? I ask as they were used for things other than autos, like marine or big generator apps.
    Maybe parts and service could be found at a marina or boat repair shop. Also, if marine, do the crankshafts rotate in the same direction?