Paxton Supercharger Ad

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by steve bridge, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:28 AM.

1. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

Given to me by the local Studebaker Dealer

Attached Files:

scout2000 likes this.
  2. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

thanks for sharing. This is the 1st I've heard of this.

Wondering if it only fit one engine (probably the inline 4), or if it would work on the 4, the inline 6 and the V8 with parts included?

Does anyone out in Binderland have one of these Paxton kits?

3. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

Her it is a little larger

Attached Files:

scout2000 likes this.
  4. Bryan Johnson

Bryan Johnson Farmall Cub

Wow that's awesome, wonder if i could find one somewhere

5. Redleg

Redleg Farmall Cub

Thanks Steve! I've got a '64 Scout 80 RCS that I strongly suspect had this system installed. Mine has a hole cut in the core support panel behind the driver's side headlight. Just as shown in the ad you attached. Another clue is an extra "Paxton" embossed pulley bolted to the crankshaft. Based on the addition of a fresh air intake hole and the pulley, I've always suspected this was a home brew supercharging effort. It's pretty cool to see that this could have been a fully-developed aftermarket upgrade. Unfortunately in my Scout's case, nothing else remains of the upgrade.

I'll be visiting my Scout this weekend, and will take a few pictures to post. Hopefully others will have additional info.

Eric

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:08 PM
  6. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

Paxton SC's aren't cheap, but they are fairly common and nothing on that page looks impossible to source. The tensioner looks like Paxton.
    The man was a Stude dealer and got this sheet with with Paxton advertising. He was a character. He preferred supercharged Studebakers, so that's how he ordered them. I once saw an article where Studebaker mentioned a dealer in a little SD town that sold more supercharged cars than any other dealer.
    I see this is a blow through system, and I see no filter. With blow through turbos, I know a pressure supply must be put to the float bowl or the float will collapse, but some Holleys don't need that mod.

7. Redleg

Redleg Farmall Cub

There are two holes to the left of the data plate. The picture in the ad has what looks like a air filter mounted there.
    2240788D-62F6-488D-A8DC-6D5D5E7F76C7.jpeg
    "Paxton Products" labeled pulley.
    99581253-ABA1-4F92-A003-DE8EB1EE9DF1.jpeg
    Hole cut in core support. Fresh air intake?
    249894BE-CDA5-4FB2-AD1A-9F496A5860F8.jpeg 11593292-FFE9-428C-B624-09F72C314C8F.jpeg

Other than the pictures above, nothing else remains. It's too bad - a 46% rear wheel horsepower increase would be greatly appreciated. At some point a previous owner also installed a Warn overdrive. I guess I lucked out by having a PO who made desirable upgrades as opposed to hacked up wiring and sketchy bodywork.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 1:05 PM
  8. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

Looks like the conversion to me. They chose to not eliminate the vent.
    I've had good luck in the past when I traced back cars and parts. Do you know the history of owners? The blower was probably robbed for another car, but there may be other parts besides the crank pulley sitting on a garage shelf, waiting to be had.
    Sad story: A few years ago, I decided to track down a 70 Hemi Challenger a buddy had in the 80's. From one owner to the next, I was finally told it was abandoned and towed. I went to the local junk yard and asked about it. Oh yeah, that's it on the wall. There was a photo of it made into an A Stocker for the area 3/8ths dirt track. None of them, not even the guy who gutted and raced it knew it was a Hemi car.