Parts needed

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Old Yeller, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Hello! Thought I would join this forum to not only build a Scout but to build relationships with folks that appreciate neat old rides.
    My name is Dan and my wife’s name is Tosha.
    My wife and I purchased a 1973 Scout ii two years ago and the rebuild is going very slowly. I wanted to buy an old beater pickup to fix up for hunting, fishing, camping and hauling purposes during this endeavor my wife mentioned that she grew up with an IH Scout. Let’s find an old scout for the job she said and I said, I like the sounds of that!
    We found our 1973 Scout ii at a pawn shop of all places, when I spotted it I had to stop and take a look. I talked with the pawn shop owner and he told me that it was indeed for sale “as is” . He mentioned that the engine was rebuilt but never fired ( carb, distributor, radiator and such still needed rebuilt). I pulled the valve covers and it was fresh under the sheet metal so I have to believe it indeed was rebuilt. I didn’t think we were in a position to buy it at the time so I didn’t mention it to my wife. One year later Tosha asked me if I still wanted to buy a Scout to fix up? I had to tell her that I found one a year ago but didn’t say anything about it. “What”!!! You found one a year ago and didn’t tell me? “Let’s go see if it is still there”!
    We drove to the pawn shop and there it was. We looked it over together and she said “ we need to rescue this truck”. We went inside and I let my negotiator do the talking and she bought us a Scout!
    This is our story and we are looking forward to getting this beast on the road. We will need a lot of help from all of you to help us with lots of questions during this process. In closing I hope to make friends and acquaintances along the way.

TorqueMonster1 likes this.
  2. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Welcome to the Binder world and congrats on your first Scout. One thing you need to know up front is IH ownership is addicting and they have a way of multiplying like Rabbits.

You picked the best place on the internet to get good info on Scouts and any IH for that matter. Everyone on here is truly trying to help, unlike a lot of “help” you get on FB, etc.

So you started your first post off in the right forum, now just keep updating it with your work and lots of pics, we like pics, and you’ll end up with a fully documented build of your Scout.

Good luck and keep those updates coming.

3. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

Welcome to the forum/IH ownership! I can confirm they do indeed multiply(and they dont need pairs to do so :p). Make sure to take lots of pictures, even of things youd rather just forget ever happened; they're quite satisfying to look back at down the road. Unless youre the luckiest folk alive, you WILL find botched fixes/and butchery from previous owners. Dont let it discourage you, rather look at it as comedic value for the thread on previous owners and their fixes(and remember it can always be worse). Once your rig has been fixed to your satisfaction you'll love it forever. Looking forward to your progress.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

4. skidder

skidder Farmall Cub

Welcome,alot of folks on here to help if you come across a problem, as always we like pictures,

Old Yeller likes this.
  5. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Thanks for the welcomes!

6. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

I’m AE0FC242-AF67-44D3-819C-CB923DACA347.jpeg DEDFD31F-F62C-40AB-A24F-5279AC1A2A21.jpeg BA2A33FB-FB72-4832-9475-80D222C478CF.jpeg E13CC4B2-F504-4477-9BE1-642666EA1F8F.jpeg Here is some pics of Old Yeller.
    Originally the plan was to give it a good deep clean and fix the necessity’s to get it on the road. This truck spent some time in a barn at one point or another in its previous ownership because it was full of mouse droppings and it smelt like mice bad! The wife said the carpet had to be replaced and the smell had to be eliminated first thing! Well the seats came out then the console then the carpet and cargo mat... well I’m sure you can all relate to what comes next. So removal of the previous items exposed the rusted out the floor boards and bed pan, not good on new carpet so repairs will need to be made before it all goes back together. Nest in the glove box A/C and headliner warranted further tear down. Well one thing lead to another and more and more parts kept coming off and piling up in the garage. I was all over the place with no game plan... not a good idea, I have so much stuff apart that I’m sure I forgot how it goes back together. We aborted the first plan and decided we would go through everything before it hits the road which will take a lot of time and money as we are finding out. It’s all good though, it is a fun project the both of us can enjoy together. My wife is amazing and a very very hard worker but her patience has proven not to be her strong point. She is slowly learning why the old restored collectibles are soo pricey. I have more pics coming along with a brief explanation as time allows.

77GlacierBlue likes this.
  7. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

Youve described the domino effect perfectly. This phenomenon, believe it or not, explains how one can attempt to swap a radiator and end up rebuilding large gearing components, or in your case: odor elimination leading to major body work. If it aplies to your case, I'd recomend avoiding hours of frustration trying to save hacked wiring; the oem bundles are reproduced and look/fit just like factory and are high quality. As to your piles of parts and avoiding future confusion, thread screws and bolts back into the holes they came out of after the part is disassembled, or bag/tag and masking tape to a larger part for sake of knowing where they go. The service literature is a good read and can help ID some of your various bits and pieces including screws. Leave it by the toilet and you'll have read it within a week

Kohler and TorqueMonster1 like this.
  8. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Your hilarious dude! Thanks for the input. First time on a forum like this and I am struggling to figure out my way around. I will try to check out the service literature in the near future. Thanks again!

9. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

You say I'm hilarious, but I'm speaking from personal experience :D you have to have fun with the frustration otherwise you bog down. The service manual Im refering too runs aproximatly $150ish??? If im remembering correctly. I may not be correct there, but I'll tell you its expensive and its well worth it, I wish I had my doom binder the first two years i spent with my pickup. (The doom binder (biggest binder size they had at staples) wasnt big enough to fit the owners and parts manual with both service manual volumes so i also have one other binder and a book lol)[​IMG]

TorqueMonster1 and Old Yeller like this.
  10. roguemustang

roguemustang Farmall Cub

Yeller, congrats and welcome. Sounds like you are off to a good start and you are lucky to have a wife that supports/encourages your habit. :)

I bought my ‘56 Ford because it had a fresh rebuild so I could focus on the interior. After blowing the water pump and radiator, I drove it a couple weeks before sending a rod through the block. It took a couple more years to get back on the rod, but rebuilding the engine was a great experience. I’m pretty sure everyone on this site is familiar with the snowball effect.

Good luck on the body work trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TorqueMonster1 and Old Yeller like this.
  11. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

I started with the plan of doing a patch on a center body mount. I’ve now got a complete new Center mount, wedge mounts, floors on both sides, bed floor, quarter panels, tail caps, part of my Pillars, patches all over... and so on and so on. I bagged and labelled every nut and bolt that came off it and it wasn’t too bad to put back together. Looking forward to see your build.

Old Yeller likes this.
  12. vince konicki

vince konicki Farmall Cub

Welcome to scout ownership! As others have stated,it's addicting. I started out rebuilding the brakes and next thing I knew it became a complete resto! 20190426_081034.jpg

13. MSUBulldog

MSUBulldog Farmall Cub

Hello Old Yeller. Now you are a member of an International Club. Take your time and have fun. Most people on here are really helpful. A few get a little bent out of shape if you ask a question that has previously been answered. I’m not really a mechanic, I am a minister but with lots of help it can be done. Here is where I started and where I am today. About 8 yesrs[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Hi Bussy! Sorry it’s taken me this long to respond to your post. I have a been busy at work and no time to play with my scout. I like the looks of your unit, not sure of my years or models with these internationals but I would have to guess yours is late 60’s ? Anyhow I haven’t figured out how to view your pics other than your cover/ Avatar pic? Am I using the correct terminology? I know nothing about forums or blogs but doing my best. I have not made much progress on my truck lately because of my work schedule but will post some pics as time allows of work that I have done over the last 14 months or so. Not a lot of work compared to some folks but we are enjoying the project regardless. Thanks for responding to my blog!

15. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Hello Skidder! It’s been a busy summer for me this year so I apologize for just now responding to your reply. I assume you like to play in the dirt from the looks of your pic on your cover. Well I suppose that’s obvious since your a Scout owner too, I think it would be safe to say that most all of us on this forum like to play in the dirt! I will post some more pics as soon as time allows as I make progress on my truck. I have some pics of my previous work that I have completed so I will get them posted soon.
    Have a good one!

16. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Hello rouge mustang! I was wanting to build up a 67 ford pickup before I met my wife, it was her idea to buy a scout. Kinda glad we did but I didn’t have plans to keep things stock like we are, I’m the kind of guy who likes to use my imagination and build something no one else has. I will say I do appreciate a good clean stock ride and that is what we should have when we are all finished. Take care and sorry I took this long to respond to your reply.

17. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Hello Kohler! Sorry that it’s has taken thus long to respond to your reply. I have been busy at my job lately and haven’t had much time to spend on my truck rebuild but what I have done so far has not been nearly as extravagant as you have described. From the sounds of it your scout body is like new again, can’t imagine how much time, money and work that took to get those kind of repairs made. BTW it looks like you could use a hair cut from your cover pic that you have posted! Probably all those hours working on your truck instead of keeping groomed... Lol! Course I’m just kidding! Well I hope to post more pics soon so stay tuned!

18. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Hi Vince! Been busy at work lately so It took awhile before I could respond to your reply. I have to say from the looks of things you are quite talented with a torch and welder. It’s amazing how you are totally replacing the door jams, rocker panels and floor boards. Your going to have something when your done that’s for sure! Hope to see your progress in the future and the final product. I better let you get back to work.

vince konicki likes this.
  19. Old Yeller

Old Yeller Farmall Cub

Hello MSU Bulldog! Finally getting a chance to respond to your reply . I really like what you have done with your scout, very cool! I’m kind of jealous of you because I would love to do some custom work to our truck but I cannot because it is in too good of order not to keep it stock. You could fool me that your not a mechanic... great job on your rebuild! Very nice truck and I love the wood work. I don’t expect my scout to be perfect showroom quality I am aiming for a good clean stock ride. I hope to post some progress in the near future.

vince konicki and MSUBulldog like this.
  20. 77GlacierBlue

77GlacierBlue Farmall Cub

From a pawn shop? I like it. It's getting hard to find them in decent shape in our part of the country (I'm from SW MO). I just did a bunch of rust removal and repair on my rig too (a body mount replacement turned in to front and center body mounts, full rockers, floors, kick panels, etc.). It was a lot of fun. If you see any more Scouts at the pawn shop let me know. :beer:

Old Yeller and vince konicki like this.