Parts Manuel

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by MWillimon57, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:50 PM.

1. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

I have a MT 130 /131 parts Manuel catalogue. I am trying to match he different diagrams with my VIN # A83860C485737. If anyone provide sense of this I have referenced and cross-referenced to determine how to understand this catalogue. One thing I learned 1st page of the chassis page allow to determine the chassis design by WB 100. Only reference I could to make any sense. Any thought good or bad are welcome. Michael

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

MT 130 pertains to '73 through '80 Scout II model years, while MT131 pertains to '72 and '73 full full size pickups and Travelalls. So what vehicle do you have? I ran your vin through Vinwiz decoder and it comes back as some AMC vehicle. IHC vins don't provide nearly the type of information that you might be used to getting from a '81 and later vehicles with the federally mandated 17 digit VIN. But, really the first step is being clear about what vehicle you have.

3. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

72 Scout II

4. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

I have 72 Scout II

5. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

72 Scout II

6. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

7. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

8. scoutboy74

Ok, so neither one of those parts manuals pertains to your '72 Scout, however MT 130 would be the closest in terms of reference diagrams, as there was very little changeover between 1972 and 1973 model years, beyond the minor cosmetic variety. Do you have the line setting ticket? That's a paper summary of the components that equipped your Scout when it rolled off the assembly line. The location of these on early SII's was not always conducive to longevity and preservation. Barring your possession of a legible copy, you can contact the Wisconsin Historical Society and provide them your VIN. With that, they can search their archives and most likely provide you a copy of your LST for $20. However, with the current Covid19 crisis, WHS has suspended operations for the time being, so you'll have to wait awhile on that until things start returning to normal.

9. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

Thank you for your help.

10. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

11. BinderBookie

BinderBookie High Wheeler

The "C" after "83860" should be a "G". The MT130 parts book to your Scout, but if you have the 1980 edition as most of us do, many parts for the early Scout (which were considerably different than the later ones) had been dropped. You may not see all the materials you need in there. You might have better luck looking for an original '72 era book, or at least one that's closer than the 1980 edition. They're out there!

G485737 falls into very early '72 production, probably early January '72. The 83860 prefix indicates a 4x4 Traveltop originally powered by a 258 inline six.

jeff campbell likes this.
  12. scoutboy74

Yep, when I change that 'C' to a 'G' in Vinwiz, it indeed comes back as a '72 Scout. And I also stand corrected on the MT130. I have a PDF version of it on my PC and the description there states '73-80, but if you look for it on Binder Books, the description there states that it covers all SII models from beginning to end.

jeff campbell likes this.
  13. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

14. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

You don't really explain much, so I don't understand what your problem is.
    The book is broken into sections such as Transmissions, Cab and Bodies or Axles, but you generally need to already know which version of those components you need information about; the Parts Book doesn't tell that, nor does the VIN give much of that information, as explained above. The Line setting Ticket (LST) shows what components the vehicle was built with, so getting one is a good first step. Using component numbers from it, such as 14045 for the T-18 4-speed manual transmission, you'd then know where to go (front of Section 14) in the book for details on that unit.

15. 1975IH200

1975IH200 Y-Block King

The IHC Parts Manual has an Index and Information Section in the front of the manual that explains how to use the manual.
    You need the vehicle LST for your vehicle in conjunction with the manual.

16. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

I don’t have the LST. Thank you. I was advised to call a business in Wisconsin Society and request an LST from them. Historical records society

17. MWillimon57

MWillimon57 Farmall Cub

Another question, can I used to the current manuel to re-assemble the scout as a general rule. Re-assemble body and interior dash instruments, as oppose to and steering modifications or other changes I make want to do?

18. scoutboy74

What you really need for doing repairs is a factory service manual. The parts manuals were basically for looking up and ordering replacement parts. That said, the exploded diagrams in the parts manual are often nicer than what you will find in the service manual, but the service manual actually explains how to disassemble and reassemble items and perform regular maintenance tasks. The FSM that you need for your Scout is CTS 2304 and it is available for purchase from your choice of any of the authorized Light Line vendors.

19. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Just curious - is your MT 131 original or one of the reprints? If it is original - would you consider selling it?