Parts compatibility?

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by joewatkins, Dec 3, 2018.

1. joewatkins

joewatkins Farmall Cub

Hey guys,let me start this off with WOW. The information on this site is amazing.

I am working on my scout 800 build and wanted some input. I am using a 305 sbc with a 4.3 throttle body (350 injectors for now) with a 700r4 trans. I have culled the stock 1990 chevy wiring harness of the non essentials per this site and am using a stock 7747 computor with anlw chip.

Everything seems strait foward but do you all see any issues with the above mentioned parts combination?

I do not have the means to do any real tuning
    I do plan on using a vss from jtr or somewhere like that.

2. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

4.3-5.7 throttle bodies are all the same size.
    Injectors are the only difference.
    Bottom line, you will need a data logging cable and a custom tune for the engine to run correctly.
    click the 2 links in my sig.

3. Bucky

Bucky Farmall Cub

Im about to embark on a restoration of a 1963 Scout 80. Its currently all original and my goal is to keep it as original as possible.

But being a realist, im also very interested in what non IH parts are compatible with little or no modifications from other makes and models. I see bits and pieces on these forums but nothing in one place.

Does this exist? Thanks! And i really enjoy all the great information and advice being offered here.

4. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

You've probably answered your own question.

IH farmed out tons of things to other manufacturers. Dana axles, etc.

But, the big question and probably what you are hoping for, is this stuff all consolidated in one place where you can easily find it? Absolutely not.

Your best bet is to address items one at a time and search the forum archive. I seem to do generally OK with the forum search feature, but I know that many don't. If you fall into the latter category, your best bet from there is to fire up your favorite search engine, be it duckduckgo, or yahoo or alta vista or whatever, and do a site search from there. The last Scout rolled off the assembly line 49 years ago, and unless you just have an incredibly odd need, it is a strong possibility that someone else has already needed to figure out the same thing, and has well documented that here.

Also, I see that you just joined up with BinderPlanet ~6 weeks ago. Welcome to BP, and best of luck with your parts quest. Looking forward to watching your build thread.

5. Bucky

Bucky Farmall Cub

Thanks for the reply, I get that, i was looking more for a comprehensive guide that includes things like, not a real example, but something like "a 1989-1993 check S10 has several parts that work on a Scout 80, including x, y, and z". Or GM 1989-19xx brake boosters works well on a scout 80 with slight modification, that sort of thing. I know there's bits and pieces all over this forum on this kind of compatibility. But if it doesn't exist then maybe it could be developed or summarized.

6. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

There are thousands of those type of references scattered thru out the forum archives, but no formal document that brings all this together in one document.

You don't happen to have a Chevy S10 in your back yard with lots of spare parts to pic, do you? :)

True story, I have a disproportionally large portion of 1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke parts on my Scout 800. Reason, fab shop that did my drive train shop had this vehicle out in back of their shop, and it was determined that it would not be road worthy again. But was available to scavenge for parts. Two examples.

As I upgraded to power steering, after the failure of several S2 power steering gear boxes, I now have one from a '99 F250. Its worked great for several years now for me.

I moved away from the OEM saddle tank(s) to a conventional rear-inbetween frame fuel tank for my Scout 800, definitely one of my best upgrades. When it came time for a filler neck/cap/associated sheet metal, those items were donated again from that Ford F250 powerstroke. Added plus, as it was a diesel, I got the standard sized filler neck, vs the newer, narrow one typically used on US unleaded vehicles.

The two items examples above were simply opportunistic availability. Those parts could have literally came from a thousand other vehicles from some junkyard from anywhere in the country.

I think that for non-IH parts, there are some very specific, focused replacement parts, but OTOH, most will be very non-specific, and someone putting together a document could have thousands of compatible parts.