parking- / turnsignal clear lenses? scout II

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Adriaan, May 17, 2016.

1. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

I'm getting really close to having my scout II '79 on the road over here in the Netherlands, But to have it registered I need to have it approved.
    It's not allowed to have amber lights up front. it's only allowed to have amber turnsignals. But it is also allowed to have clear turnsignals.

So my question is if anyone knows if i can use a clear/white lens of a different vehicle that will fit or fit with a little mod.
    My last resort is to cut some myself out of clear poly carb.
    Oh..., one other question i have, Where do the wires come out of the tailgate for the license plate light.

Hoping to hear from you for some help. thanks

2. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

No help here, I'd probably resort to fabricating my own. But do they not give you any kind of leeway, for it being original equipment on a vintage vehicle?

3. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

Thanks for your reply.
    No they don't. I also had to convert the headlight lenses to H4 with european type approval. Luckily that was no biggie.
    I can probably get away with changing them back after I get it road legal, registered and licensed.

4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

I'm not aware of any clear lens option, nor of any similar lens from another vehicle make that is close enough to fit. I think you're on your own there. The harness for the LPL is fed through a hole in the bottom of the gate...can't remember which side.

5. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

Thanks for the reply scoutboy. I will have a look at the wiring diagram to see if it's on the driver- or passenger side for the LPL.

6. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Its on the left side, at least on a US produced SII.

7. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

So much helpful Government...

My license plate light wire enters the tailgate on the left or drivers side.

8. Robert Kenney

Robert Kenney Binder Driver

Question for you,
    Do you need to have the marker lights function as a parking light, or work while you have the head lights on? I am saying that can you eliminate the marker light function and just allow the turn signal function in your country? If you are allowed to simply disable the running/marker lamp bulb filament. Them there is only an amber turn lamp.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  9. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

Robert, thanks for the reply.
    Yes all the lights work as they suppose to. I did the LED mod for the sidemarkers as described in a different member's post. It work out great. Unfortunally it's not allowed to only have headlights. The running lights need to work too. On the weekend I'm going to measure the lens size and see if I can find anything that might fit. If I find anything I'll let everybody know.

10. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

What if you mount an extra set of clear lights on top of the bumper?

11. jdassler

jdassler Farmall Cub

Does your H4 conversion housing have "city lights" and if so can that be considered your marker or parking light? If not, your going to have to modify both the lenses and the housings so you can have the appropriate blinker and running light. As for lenses, you may take a look at Ford van/F-series front signals from the late 60s through the early 80s. They were typically flat and rectangular so they may be a good lense to marry with a IH lense. Alternately many 60s and 70s cars had flat turn signal lenses in the bumpers that may get very close in size. Next time I'm at the junk yard I'll pay close attention to lense sizes to see if we can get you close.

12. Adriaan

Adriaan Farmall Cub

Hi to all, thank you Jeff that's not a bad suggestion but I'll keep it mind as a last resort because I will need fiddle with the wiring to have only the turn signals to work.

jdassler: the Hella head light units don't have "city lights" in them but I believe there is a marking on the unit where it should go. Also a very good suggestion I haven't thought about. I will look at the ford trucks sadly we don't have a JY's with US car overhere

You're all very creative! :clap: Thanks