Painting the gray center on Chrome wheels?

Discussion in 'Restoration Purists' started by cthen1, Jul 12, 2005.

1. cthen1

cthen1 Farmall Cub

OK guys,
    Some one must have done this before.How do you get a perfect circle when repainting the silver center in the chrome rallye wheels?Also,what brand/style paint have you had luck with?

2. benmaples

benmaples High Wheeler

Don't know your cap's design but I do know you can smear grease on the parts you don't want paint to stick to & when your done & it's dry just wipe of the painted grease. Works good on shapes that are hard to mask.If you get some grease on the surface your painting make sure you clean it off good with solvent. HTH

3. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

The grease *masking tape* is an interesting idea. There are also liquid mask products available. A well-cut circle in a cardboard template might also work.

As for the paint, it appears to be similar (or nearly identical) to argent silver, a common accent paint color for wheels of the late '60s/1970's. I believe it is available in spray cans from most muscle car restoration parts suppliers.

4. french dugay

french dugay High Wheeler

chrome center caps work best. there is a set on ebay right now . or you can cut out a hole in a piece of cardboard sand paint the circle. Make sure you protect the wheel lugs

5. mrjefferson31

mrjefferson31 Farmall Cub

Try painting the silver on the wheel then wrap a clean rag around your finger and with some laquer thinner/paint thinner just wipe away the overspray. It will probably take a few passes with the thinner but if ya hold your tongue right you would probably get a good clean circle.

6. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

I would remove the wheels from the vehicle before painting them.

7. GaryB

GaryB High Wheeler

Vaseline makes a good mask too. I've painted some wheels with rattle can lacquer paint and it has held up well when prepped/done right. You have to clear coat lacquer though, or it will rust through.