Ox lockers...

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Redbeard, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Eric Underriner

Eric Underriner Binder Driver

The above posts got a couple of things wrong regarding the Eaton e-locker.

1) The e-locker does not have the big solenoid hanging off the diff cover.
    2) The e-locker is an open diff when not engaged--it is never a posi.

Both of those comments are appropraitely directed at the detroit electrac, not the Eaton e-locker.

The e-locker has nothing but a single wire which attachs to a round dash mounted switch--which makes a sweet filler for the glow-plug hole in the dash of my "no-longer diesel" rig.

If you are looking for a selectable, I suggest taking a long look at the e locker--I like mine.
    Eric

2. budget76

budget76 High Wheeler

Thanks for the correction Eric. I was never in the market for either, so I never remembered there were two diffrent electric selectables on the market ;)

3. Darel

Darel High Wheeler

Thanks Eric!

Is there a solenoid in the system? Mounted remotely or inside the diff cover?

Just curious. Thanks!

4. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

i don't know about the e lockers. i went wheeling with a heavy chebbie with supposedly "electric lockers front and rear". well when he was buried to the frame in silt mud (coal dust that's wet, makes a gritty, bearing eating mess like black mud, oh yea also stains anything that's fabric. there's alot of it here in NEPA being in anthricite central :rolleyes: ) with both rear wheels turning and 1 front tire going. i was like electric lockers eh? he said the wire broke and he didn't have time to fix it. :rolleyes: a regular locker would be in all the time. anyhow in the end it took 2 jeeps with winches chained to trees to tug him out of the silt. :eek: he may have a warrenty on the bearings but i sure wouldn't want to have to go in there to change em! :eek:

5. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Farmall Cub

I have been using ox lockers front and rear for 5 years. I never had any trouble with the front always works great. I did have some trouble with the rear comming out of adjustment but with help from Florida machine got it fixed. I have not had to adjust it in 2 years. The problem with the cable comming out of adjustment was a problem with the early models but the problem was corrected. The customer service is incredable. I think ox locks is the way to go.

6. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There isn't a clear answer to the question. While ARB is the tried, tested and proven vetran of the field, there are many newer up and comers. Time will tell if one rises above the rest. However right now what can be said is, no matter which you choose with proper installation, maintenance and use it will serve you well. Just pick which you would rather deal with and go with it. Another nice thing about the ARB is you'll have an on board compressor, so you can add a larger tank and instant on board air!

7. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

One thing I have noticed a lot is the guys that complain about arb's are alway's the people who say they have never owned one. So there opinion means absolutlely nothing to me. I have had arbs in 2 different rigs and never a single problem. they work great, are strong , durable, and dependable.

8. Eric Underriner

From what I understand there is no solenoid at all, rather the e locker uses what is described as a magnetized ball ramp. I did not install the locker in the axle but i did hook up the wires and switch and mounted the diff cover and there was no visible solenoid with the locker itself or the wiring.

9. Eric Underriner

I think with a little proper planning you can easily hook up an e locker with little chance of wire breakage. In any event, it is a lot easier to splice a couple of wires on the trail then to run new air line (at least that is why I went electric).

10. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

Oh, the choices!

Currently, my Scout has a rebuilt *aggressive* PowrLok in the rear, and a Detroit EZ Locker in the front. I would have preferred a selectable locker in the front, but the EZ Locker was an affordable option at the time I was setting up my new R&P gears. I waited a long time for Powertrax (maker of the LockRight) to come out with their electric selectable locker, but it never materialized (why?).
    I'll wait awhile and see what else comes out (or is improved) in the next few years, but I think the electrically-controlled idea is the best, as every vehicle has 12VDC capability.