Overdrive and PTO options for T19 and Dana 20.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Kenneth Barber, May 11, 2018.

1. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

I have heard rumors that one can install a PTO from the side of a T19 and underneath a Dana 20...but what about overdrive?

2. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Yes on the PTO's, SOL on the over drive.

3. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Gear vendors overdrive and a 6" rear driveshaft.

4. Kenneth Barber

Already down to a 30” Rear driveline. :dig:

5. Kenneth Barber

How about the Borg Warner R-10? One article on the internet said it connects inline to the rear output of the Dana 20...back to maybe an 8” driveline? Has anyone used it? Will it handle the torque of V345?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bob BMW

Bob BMW Farmall Cub

As far as the PTO on the Dana 20, there is at least one still in use. So it is not a rumor any more. It was originally on a D18 along with an overdrive. The overdrive went away when I changed to the D20 but the PTO swapped right over to the D20. Now the rest of the story. I switched axle gears from 4.88 to 3.73 when the OD went away for highway use and the transmission was switched to a NP435 for low speed use. It was fun and worth it back in the 1970's but today I would skip the hassle and buy something new.

Bob Scout PTO 001.JPG Scout PTO 002.JPG Scout PTO 003.JPG Scout PTO 004.JPG

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  7. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

I have a brochure from the 1960's for the TC bottom mount PTO unit. What was required for you to adapt from the D18 to D20? Nothing?
    I used to have a transmission side mount PTO unit but couldn't find out what it mated with (not a T18) and think I finally got rid of it.

8. Big Ed

Big Ed High Wheeler

My local gear place told me by the numbers on the gears, and told me what gears I was looking for. You need the PTO model too. I was able to find the gear I needed and swap it in.

9. WRENCH MAN

The R-10 may hold up?, they made an R-11 that will, I have one behind a T-86 from behind a Ford FE, the issue will be getting all of the stuff to make it work!!?

I have a PTO set up like the one pictured above, it was on a DANA 20 in a Jeep J series 3/4 ton.

10. Bob BMW

Bob BMW Farmall Cub

You are correct, Dana, nothing was required to go from D18 to D20. For a recent brief time I was considering installing the Terra Low gears in my D20 but read someplace the PTO would no longer work with that low gear set. So I discarded that idea because:
    1. Would have to get rid of the PTO.
    2. The NP435 has the PTO on the passenger side so could never have used that because of interference with D20 drive shaft.
    3. No convenient PTO means get rid of the PTO winch.
    4. Buy a new powerful electric winch with remote control.
    5. Would have gone this route if they were available back in the 70's.
    6. Modify things and install the winch.
    7. Quit messing with the Scout and drive something new.
    8. Drive the Scout as is and only do necessary upkeep.
    9. It never ends!
    10. Eight may turn into seven in the near future.

Bob

11. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

One of the problems with the R series over drives was learning how to go out of over drive and remembering to lock it out of overdrive when parking a vehicle with a manual transmission. The over running clutch in them allowed the vehicle to roll regardless if the vehicle was left in gear. Not all parking brakes hold very tight so locking it in gear was an extra measure. Many people saw their "parked" vehicle slowly roll down a grade because OD was not locked out with a pull of the control or remembering to park with the shifter in reverse. This brings up reverse, there is no reverse unless the OD is locked out automatically or you do it manually. Accidentally attempting reverse without it locked out destroys it. The R-11 had more pinion gears and was the strongest of them. The thing I like about the Warn, or today's Saturn, over drive is the positive in or out with the shifter and not relying on road speed or a solenoid.

A good thing about PTO winching is no motors to overheat(no cycle times). With the vehicle in gear and the PTO winch engaged you could "assist" the vehicle up terrain without over running the winch cable; without an anchor point such as a tree or a dead man it would be next to impossible without destroying the terrain or the rig and one of tne of the benefits used by utilities getting those power lines through very remote terrain.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Bob BMW likes this.
  12. Kenneth Barber

Thanks for sharing...I like that it all is not dangling below the frame.:rockon:

13. Kenneth Barber

Read this post to my wife...got a chuckle quickly followed by a sigh...some of us truely have a dizzying intellect.

Bob BMW likes this.
  14. Kenneth Barber

After looking further online, if I were to use the Warner R-11 overdrive...doing the math my rear driveline would go from 30” to 21”. I also looked into Advanced Adapters Ranger Torque Splitter, it is 7.5 inches...not sure I could adapt that to the T-19 and the correct input shaft. A while back, I have also learned that I have the 9” long truck bellhousing, some say it is stronger than the Scout 800 belhousing and can accommodate a larger clutch? Can anyone tell me the length of their Scout 800 bellhousing?

15. WRENCH MAN

The V8 bellhousings are all the same.