Opening disassembling cleaning gauges on dash 1967 Scout 800 help

Discussion in 'Anything Scout' started by JOHN KONTER, Mar 24, 2020.

1. JOHN KONTER

JOHN KONTER Farmall Cub

I have a 1967 Scout 800 that I want to clean the gauges and paint the needles. I am wondering how to open these safely because I am new to this and I do not want to mess anything up. any and all ideas and prior knowledge of doing this is greatly appreciated. Another question is how do I clean gauge holder whatever it is called and the knob thank you
    20200324_151903.jpg 20200324_152023.jpg 20200324_152047.jpg 20200324_152105.jpg 20200324_151812.jpg 20200324_152809.jpg 20200324_152751.jpg 20200324_153126.jpg 20200324_153134.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Gauge panel just needs to be sanded and painted.
    The knobs have pitting that can´t be fixed, but some steel wool will help them look a little better.
    Do a search on here for the guage rehab process.

JOHN KONTER likes this.
  3. JOHN KONTER

JOHN KONTER Farmall Cub

4. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

They can be carefully sanded, any noticeable pits filled with epoxy (then resanded as needed) and sprayed with an epoxy-based metallic silver paint; the letter needs to be hand painted last. If done carefully, they will look great and last that way for a long time, even in regular use.

Someone here did a good write-up about his project of doing that. An outside (E.G. Google) search function, trying different words until you find it, might be the best option if someone else doesn't link to it first. The format is:
    search term(s) site:Binderplanet.com​

JOHN KONTER likes this.
  5. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

I've done this on my 68 800 and boy is it tedious. As you've seen, the bezel is a crimped ring and a one time use; but we can cheat. Carefully pry the wedge shaped crimp on the ring wider from the back side with a small screw driver and Oring pick. Do it in several passes around the circle. Don't bend too much at a time. If the metal stretches to much, you'll knarly peaks and ridges when you go to re-crimp it again. When it is loose, you want it just loose enough to barely slip over the gauge pod flange. Then you're free to clean and paint. Work on a soft surface such as a terry cloth towel underneath to avoid scratching the rings. Be very careful about the gauge face finish and numerals. They're very delicate at this age. If you need to clean off spots, use Woolite (pink labeled) and Qtips.

For polishing and cleaning, the best stuff out there is White Diamond Metal Polish. Keep polishing until the cloth no longer turns black. Let it dry, and then buff. Whatever it's on won't corrode again for years. Your knobs are pretty far gone, but the polish will help a lot. NEVER use steel wool or other abrasives, you'll strip what remaining chrome there is and you'll have ugly base metal which is usually die cast zinc and corrodes easily. Painting as suggested is a option I've never used, but zinc is a funny stuff for paint to stick to and I wonder how long it lasts.

To re-crimp the rings you'll need precision pliers as a small pair of Knipex pliers. Cover the jaw serrations with 2 layers of electrical tape. Carefully squeeze the crimp back down a little at a time going full circle just like you did when opening it up. Use the outer edge of the bezel ring as a fulcrum point, don't just squash it front to back or you'll leave marks that you will see every day you drive the Scout.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    tim vaughan and JOHN KONTER like this.
  6. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

I found a ring , actually a piece of a throwout bearing , that the gauge bezel fit perfectly in . this helped a great deal
    in holding the gauge still and being able to apply the needed pressure to open and close the crimp
    It worked so nice I marked it and stuck it in my toolbox :1eye:
    There is a very sought after tool made expressly to open and close these style gauges ,google search has images ,

ih gauge 002.jpg

JOHN KONTER likes this.