OOP's I Did it Again

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by 64desertscout, Sep 22, 2014.

1. 64desertscout

64desertscout Farmall Cub

Well after liquidating all my IH's and parts in preparation for moving and taking care of our aging Mom's............

[​IMG]

I once again have got the bug and miss having a Scout. Tomorrow I will be picking up a 63 S80 trail rig. Its not pretty, but will make a perfect trail rig that one doesn't freak out over a new dent on. A very good running 196 (145psi comp test) with a 32/36 Weber, standard T90 and D18, an 800 D44 in the rear and it looks to be a D27 in the front. All new brakes with new flex lines and a dual M/C, new aluminum radiator, water pump, and T-stat. I needs some things done to it, but since I'm retired now.....I have time to do it!

[​IMG]

2. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

Looks nice Chuck..... first thing on the list of improvements?

3. 64desertscout

matching tires
    weld up ALOT of holes in the firewall

4. 64desertscout

The deal is done and the Scout is home.

Impressions and observations;

The 6 or 7 inch shackles that were put on because "I like the stance" make it drive horrible, as if these had any real caster to start. it wonders all over the road depending on the "lay of the road" and gets REALLY busy to drive at 50-60 mph.

It has little to no rust to speak of, Yea!!!!!! It has a little rust on the tailgate and some at the bottom of the rear tail light sections, all an easy fix.

It runs great and the trans pops out of 2nd on deceleration (big surprise), it has solid mounts instead of rubber on the engine and trans. That being said it has tons of vibration and buzz in it, and that needs to be changed back. Brakes are good, the fuel cell need to be remounted under the bed instead of in the bed, and there is some wiring clean up and de-greasing to be done.

It has a weird steering issue...tight loose, tight loose, while turning the wheel. I believe it to be in the column, but will investigate farther in the coming days.

That's it in a nutshell for now.