OM606 turbodiesel help in SLC, UT

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by Randall Hipwell, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Randall Hipwell

Randall Hipwell Farmall Cub

First off, new to the forum and already humbled with the wealth of knowledge around me. Blows my mind what curiosity, research and knowledge can build. I have seen some incredible threads on this forum already. I had been waiting on pulling the trigger on a nice vintage wagon to pull my 1964 Airstream but came across a Travelall in my local classifieds and thought that it really fit the bill. I bought knowing that the 304 was running really rough and at the very least the carb would need to be rebuilt. Well, seems I got a little buck fever when I came across two more in the local thriftys that were sitting out in a field waiting for the crusher. I now have a rough 68 and non-running 64 and 68. Loving the round body IH but thinking I may want to do an engine swap for reliability and fuel savings. I have done a little research on diesel conversions. I owned a beautiful 1985 300D turbo diesel that ran like a dream until some POS T-boned me. So long story long, Im hoping to find a local mechanic in Utah that is familiar with the OM606 turbo diesel conversion. I may even be interested in the super turbo diesel. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I realize Cummins, Detroit, and Powerstrokes are plentiful and easily serviced but I've never been one for taking the easy road. Plus, there really isn't anything quite like that comforting gurgle of a finely tuned German Diesel. Thank in advance and look forward to reading in more of the forums.

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

I don't think the OM606 will pull an Airstream with a round body Travelall

3. Randall Hipwell

I was really skeptical but those Europeans are doing crazy things with the diesels. My jaw dropped after watching this. 500hp?

4. Randall Hipwell

I know out here in the wild, wild west regulations are a little lighter than most places but I'm not sure if this would even be legal. I'm really tempted to find out about it though for 29mpg?

5. tinker

tinker Farmall Cub

I put a Mercedes 606 from an E300 into a Gwagon that originaly had a OM617 5 cylinder. I took a mechanical P pump from a 603 and transplanted it in. I used a simple vacuum boost controller and mechanical kickdown. No ECM necessary! It has proven to be very dependable so far and moves the 5,500lb Gwagon along with lots of pep. It also runs on vegetable oil :banana:This truck already had a Mercedes transmission so it was easier than adapting to a different make but adapters are available for $$
    I wish my Scout with a sick SD33t had one.

Randall Hipwell likes this.
  6. Randall Hipwell

So then it would be a matter of scrounging for all of the parts and hopefully finding a donor car with low miles but otherwise gutted. I have found a few E300s with under 120k miles for about $4k. Guess I need to decide just how far I want to go with this. Ive seen some sick videos on youtube about the super turbo and wish I could just fly the swedish dude over here that builds these monsters.