Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by TexSmitty, May 1, 2020.
Ok. Got the tires mounted. Now to fit the fuel wheels I needed some longer wheel studs. Changing the wheel studs on the front Dana 44 is a little more work than I thought it would be. In fact it was a pain in the tire iron. Got em mounted finally and thought I was ready to roll. The rear brake line from the axle to the body was tight. So no driving still until I got that changed out.... well might as well change them all. Now if you go on a “scout site” you can find one that’s longer for an interesting price, Or you can buy a rear brake line for a 70s ford econoline van for $8 at oriellys. I also bought all new hard lines measured and flanged the ends so I had all new brake lines. That escalated quickly. Now I have, new suspension, wheels, tires, brake lines and wheel studs. The front axles also got a looking at while I was in there.
Now we have a different scout on our hands...
It got attention before, but now it’s turning heads and getting pictures taken.
The linkage for the shifter was a little squirrelly. Sometimes when I turn the key it acts like it’s not in park. Took everything apart and found the little piece of wire wrapped loosely in place holding it all together, compliments of a PO. I got it all cleaned, tightened and put back together. Problem fixed. It’s funny what you find from previous owners. When I took out the old stock headliner, there were huge foot long feathers and old 80s doctors cards up in there where a PO had stuffed them up there through a crack in the liner. Someone had also “fixed” the teams cooler line with the rubber hose and clamps.
thats a lot of work in a short amount of time. good job!
JJ in TN
This is over a period of time. I still have a lot to go to get to where it is now.
I wanted to mess around and see if I could fix a couple of dents and touch up paint. I’ve never done real bodywork and went and bought some actual bondo.... I had English color mix the paint for me. It actually turned out really well. But then I had the issue of having a perfect spot next to the rest of the body. It really doesn’t show up in the pictures but the body is completely covered in dents, long deep scrapes and scratches. I compounded and polished the body a few times before so the paint was brighter than when I bought it but the body probably didn’t have 8 inches between dents. The drivers side front fender and door was total gnarly where a tree had rubbed down the side and was hammered back out. The passenger side door had a long scrap deep in the metal all the way down it. And the rear passenger fender and tailgate had dents the size of baseballs.
So I started watching YouTube videos about bodywork... thousands. The great thing about the internet it the vast amount of information available at the touch of a finger. The bad thing is, it also shows there’s a million ways to do something and no one agrees with anyone. So I just started and learned as I went. Now understand that at this point I was thinking I’ll just fix all the dents. Or most of them. Looking back at these pictures I laugh now. Yes that is bondo in a small amount. Believe me, everything you see in pictures to come had to be removed and done the correct way.
Skip to... After a lot of trial and error, redoing, more youtube, fixing, and redoing agian, I was finally done with the body and ready for paint.
Honestly, it all came out way better than I could have imagined. For once my OCD paid off.