Oil blowing out of dipstick tube

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BanjoBend, Dec 8, 2011.

1. BanjoBend

BanjoBend Farmall Cub

I recently installed a 345 in my terra. It runs good and has good oil pressure, but for some reason it is blowing oil out of the dipstick tube. That makes me think that i dont have enough crankcase ventilation. I have the pcv valve on the valley pan and that is all.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

2. Jay Tabor

Jay Tabor Banned

dont have any crankcase ventilation.
    pcv aint working
    too much blowby
    no air getting in

3. BanjoBend

BanjoBend Farmall Cub

What exactly do you mean?

My old 196 had an oil fill cap with a nipple for a breather hose, is that something that i should be running on the 345?

4. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Y-Block King

If the pcv rattles when you shake it, then it's working. You need a breather. This can be accomplished in several ways. One is it to replace your oil fill cap with a breather cap. Your passenger side valve cover should have a bung fitting that would have originally been fitted with a thread in spark arrest/breather that is similar in appearance to a pcv, but has steel wool inside rather than a rattle ball. A hose would run from one end of that to the air filter canister. Perhaps that plumbing has been discarded and the hole in your valve cover blocked off. If that's the case, what you can do to restore that function is get a short length of brass pipe threaded on at least one end that will thread into the bung. Then buy a motorcycle style air breather which is basically a shrunken air filter and attach it to the other end of the pipe.

5. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

A compression test will tell you something about your rings.

6. IHWILD

IHWILD High Wheeler

Just because your pcv valve is rattling doesnt mean your pcv system is working. Make sure the vacuum line going to the valve has good strong vacuum on it. The breather is to let air in not out. My truck had a clogged pcv line and it blew oil out of the breather into the air cleaner. Cleaned out the blockage and problem went away. Though if it doesnt then i would check the rings as mentioned.

HTH
    Rich

7. BanjoBend

BanjoBend Farmall Cub

so if i hook up the pcv hose directly to the manifold vacuum, the engine will barely run. do I need a restricor pill in the line?

8. TheScoutMaster

TheScoutMaster High Wheeler

Have you tired hooking it up? At idle the vac should be at max. How about adjusting the idle screw on the carb to try and even it out?

9. Thomas

Thomas Dreams of Cub Cadets

---Are you asking if you can run the vehicle with no PCV valve? If so, the answer is no. Same applies with the Flame Arrestor. Believe it or not, the engine was designed to run with both installed, both are available, and while some feel they can overlook the possibility, if a PCV Valve is installed where a flame arrestor should be, it will* cause undue crankcase pressure... like you're describing.

---As mentioned, your engine requires two things. The PCV Valve on one end and the flame arrestor on the other. The flame arrestor has been described as the PVC-looking component threaded into the front, top of the driver side valve cover (sometimes mistakenly installed by a PO in the passenger side, so it could be at the rear, top passenger side). It has a steel mesh interior rather than a pintle and air passes through it, with a good amount of restriction, so flame can be broken down, if not eliminated, preventing ignition of crankcase vapors. The PCV Valve will only allow air to pass through in one direction... engine side out. It should* rattle if clean. If plugged, it will not. If it doesn't rattle (what was meant when it was mentioned), it can be cleaned. Soak it in carb cleaner/acetone, then after soaking, you plug one end, fill it half way or so with carb cleaner, plug the other end and rapidly shake it, rinse, allow to dry and install if it rattles. The rattling sound is the internal part, called a "pintle".

---Also as mentioned, your rings could be damaged. If your carburetor has oil around the top or if oil is found in the air cleaner housing, chances are extremely high that you need rings. Check compression.

---However, if you have no* PCV Valve, that's the problem. That considered, if you don't have a grommet in the Valley Pan for the PCV Valve and your engine requires an in-line PCV Valve, just remember that pintle-style PCV Valves need to be installed in an upright position, while not necessary when engine is off, their natural, relaxed position should be so the pintle is sealed against the seat when the engine is off. If yours has a grommet, the correct part number can be found in my entry to the Useful Part Number List thread.

---Gotta run, no time to proof-read... LOL.

10. BanjoBend

BanjoBend Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the info! My passenger side valve cover does not have a flame arrestor in it, but i found one in my pile of parts that does. I will install it this weekend.

I got the truck to run with the pvc hose hooked directly to the intake manifold vacuum source, but now it stumbles when i give throttle. not severly but enough to notice. Im wondering if, due to the loss of vacuum (because the pcv is hooked up), my power valve is opening to soon causing a rich condition. At idle i have about 17 inches of vacuum and a 6.5 power valve. Does this sound like a PV issue?

11. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Y-Block King

The flame arrest can be and was found on either valve cover. This is due to the fact that not all SV8 valley pans have the provision for the pcv valve. On some models, the pcv was threaded into a bung fitting on the driver side VC and the spark arrest was threaded into the fitting on the passenger side VC. But, really it doesn't matter which side is which so long as the corresponding plumbing is correct for each end.

12. Thomas

Thomas Dreams of Cub Cadets

---The driver side (LHD) gets the flame arrestor, been that way even with the SV8s that had the cleanable pcv valve as well as the in-line PCV valve, where the valley pan had no more than a 3/8" nipple that a piece of hose, pvc valve & 90° sweep would have joined to the intake. A simple look the direction the nipple is angled, on a NOS OEM air cleaner would show no PO alterations made due to idiot "mechanics" (damned goobers) or overworked farmers not remembering what part went where when reassembling. Though I can say it doesn't matter which side, I won't speculate, cause I won't speak out of school. Can't even say oposite side is better than none at all, cause again, I don't know* & don't wish to help spread rumor... fact is what the air cleaner and untouched* engines show, not to mention all* vacuum diagrams. Driver side (LHD).

---PCV Valve circuit goes from valley pan to back of intake manifold, behind Carb mounting base, with PVC valve in between. Flame arrestor circuit goes from valve cover to air cleaner housing, with flame arrestor in between.

---Check the compression, all plugs removed, throttle wide open & crank the engine no more than 3 revolutions, watching how fast pressure jumps & recording readings from final Rev. After all have been tested, squirt 10cc of SAE30 oil into each cylinder before testing again. If pressure is considerably higher, consider it bad ring(s). If it's low, without much change from first test, it's valves or head gasket.

---Valve cover w/flame arrestor but w/o filler cap is the driver (LHD) side valve valve cover for an SV8 w/oil filler tube that mates to the timing cover. Driver side (LHD).

---After verifying correct positive crankcase vacuum system complete, correct & is functionin, then worry about basic/default Carb settings & from default, diagnosis. Adjusting Carb & timing to compensate is not the IH way. ;)

---Factory Service Manuals are available (FYI).

13. TBAKPhi22

TBAKPhi22 Binder Driver

An engine will run without a PCV valve, as long as its vented. PCV's came around in the 60's as one of the first emissions related systems. Before that, there was just a vent on the crankcase. Not recommending this be done, but just to see if an engine works its ok...

14. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Y-Block King

You're correct with the operative word being untouched. Without any other specifics provided as far as carb and air filter being used, we already know that this is a gas engine swapped in place of a former oil-burner, so untouched in this case left the building with Elvis some time ago.

15. BanjoBend

BanjoBend Farmall Cub

Now with the pcv in place and a breather in the valve cover the oil spraying has stop and everything is well vented.

Now the only issue is the stumble i explained earlier. With the pcv line not hooked up, and the manifold vacuum source plugged, the engine ran great. now with that vacuum source open to the crankcase, the engine stumbles during medium to hard acceleration. Seeing how the only thing that changed was the vacuum lines, wouldnt that mean the power valve is to blame?

16. TheScoutMaster

Have you checked the vac hoses or carb base, etc. for vac leaks?

17. BanjoBend

BanjoBend Farmall Cub

All the hoses are brand new, and carb is rebuilt. Sprayed everything with brake cleaner and it is sealed up tight.

18. TheScoutMaster

This probably doesn't help, but what I have done on my rig is install an O2 sensor and Air Fuel guage which tells you a lot about the engine, lean, etc. I guess it would be interesting to see what exactly is happening at the mid to upper range on the stumble...

Did you get the right PCV? Sounds like you may need to adjust the fuel on the carb now that you have introduced the PCV...

http://www.aa1car.com/library/carburetor.htm

19. TheScoutMaster

Interesting comment:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-talk/19931-adding-pcv-valve-351w-side-effects-2.html

20. TCRIMSONK

TCRIMSONK Farmall Cub

Just so we're on the same page, what vacuum source are you using from the carb?