ODBA Website

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by atlantascoutfan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

Hi All,

Just FYI, I spent a few hours tonight working on rolling back the failed update that sidelined our website months ago. Basically, if I didn't explain before, it required combing by hand through dozens of directories and hand-renaming hundreds of backup files. It was definitely no fun.

Progress is happening though, and I got a taste of victory: after finishing the renaming I removed the placeholder page to activate the site just now and -- bam! -- our site came up in all its glory!! :clap:

Then I tried to post something. The site immediately spit out an error. :mad: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, just wanted to let everyone know I haven't forgotten. Will post better news when I have it.

Cheers,
    Alan

2. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

Thanks Alan!!

3. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

WOO--looks like the website's back up! Way to go Alan. Now what was my password on there...? :4x4:

4. atlantascoutfan

IT'S ALIVE! ALIVE!!! :eek:

No seriously, it seems like we're back up and running on our site. Stoopid free software! :mad: I swear I am never running an automated update ever again. Next time I'm just going to resign myself to manually applying patches file by file, directory by directory if I have to. Paying for a year of hosting and using 3 months of it is kinda crappy.

Feel free to head over there and attempt to log in and post something. I'm still not convinced the bugs are all patched. At least now we can troubleshoot. :rockon:

5. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

Just tried to go to the website and it says that the account's been suspended... :wrenching:

6. atlantascoutfan

Yeah, I saw that; they emailed me too. Apparently the card they had on file to auto-renew our website was declined -- probably because that card was reported stolen a few months ago when my wallet got pinched at the bar. I'll fix it later. :)

7. atlantascoutfan

8. atlantascoutfan

Incidentally, for those who don't know already I recently put up a website like ours for Triple Diamond Fourwheelers. It looks and functions just like ours, and just like our website almost nobody uses it. LOL

Actually though there is one difference: since I put up our site a new photo gallery package has been published that interfaces directly with the phpBB forum package we use. That is to say, once the gallery is set up you are automatically logged into it using your website user ID and password; there's no need for a second login for the gallery. The gallery package is called Coppermine, and here's the link to TDFW's (just launched) installation:

http://www.triplediamond.org/gallery/

Which brings me around to my question: Is this something ODBA folks would like on our site? Like phpBB the package is free and the configuration isn't difficult. Then again, like the rest of our site it might be a waste of time given we all hang out on Facebook. Let me know what you guys think! :D